Lobster Curry

lobsterThere is seafood, and then there are lobsters. There is something about the meaty gustiness of lobsters that sets them apart from most other seafood. Last weekend, our local Market Basket had a sale for Maine Lobsters. I didn’t see anyone stepping out of the store without having at least 2 lbs. of lobsters in their cart. Some preferred it raw, others (like me) got it steamed – a service that the store provided at no cost.

Years ago, we visited the Western Ghats of India. The pristine sea beaches are silhouetted by statuesque palm trees, which always seem to be dancing to some delphian music of their own. We stayed in a cottage which was a little walk away from the main beach, but overlooked the sea. The cottages were supervised by a young family. I made friends with the caretaker lady, a young local and mother of two adorable kids. She also cooked local food for the guests if they requested her. She cooked for us twice in that trip. The highlight of her cooking was a lobster dish, curried in mouth tingling spices and hot chilies, tempered with coconut milk. The flavors were truly out of the world.

Over the years, I have tried to mimic her recipe. I have never really been able to recreate exactly what she made (probably because of some local mysterious ingredient, or simply a different combination of spices), I have able to develop a recipe which enriches the flavor of the lobsters without compromising their light sweetness or texture.

Ingredients:

• 4 lobster, shell on (weighing about a pound each)
  • Onions: 2 Medium – grated
  • Tomato puree: ½ cup
  • Garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
  • Coconut milk: 1 can
  • Yogurt: ½ cup
  • Thai Green Chilies – 8
  • 4 tbsp. oil

Spices:

• Coriander powder: 1tsp.
  • Fennel powder – 1 tsp.
  • Cumin powder – 1 tsp.
  • Red chili powder: 2 tsp.
  • Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.

Dry roast and grind into powder:

• Cloves – 6
  • Star Anise – 2 petals
  • Nutmeg – 1/4th tsp.
  • Cinnamon – 1”

Mix the spice and dry roast powders together with a tbsp. of water and make a thick paste

How I do it:

1. Steam the lobsters.
  2. Marinade the steamed lobsters with garlic paste. Place them in a baking dish and spray with olive oil.
  3. Pre heat oven to 250 F
  4. Place the baking dish in the pre heated oven. I let it stand in the oven while I cook the gravy.
  5. Heat oil; fry the onions till light golden brown
  6. Fry the spice powder paste
  7. Add tomato puree
  8. Spoon in the yogurt
  9. Fry till the oil starts floating
  10. Now add coconut milk.
  11. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes.
  12.  (At this point, remove the lobsters from the oven, then set the oven on pre heat at 300 F)
  13. Remove the gravy from heat and pour over the lobsters
  14. Add green chilies.
  15. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes.

Serve hot with rice.

This goes excellent with Basmati rice. This time, I made the gravy much lighter as hubby wanted it that way. Normally, the gravy is much creamier and thicker.

Most of the ingredients listed in this recipe can be found in Asian section of big departmental grocery stores. You can also get them from Indian and Asian stores.

14 comments for “Lobster Curry

1. May 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I’m from Maine but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a Maine lobster. There are lobsters in Australia but they don’t have claws. They’re also horrendously expensive – anywhere from $35 to $50 each.

Love the lobster curry!

• May 29, 2012 at 8:01 AM

That’s really expensive! Here it normally goes for anything between $10 per pound to $25 per pound, varying from coast to coast.In California I remember it regularly sold for about $19 per pound, depending on the season. This time I got it for 5.99 per pound – un-freaking-believable. Each lobster was between 1.25 to 2 lbs. It was a feast honestly.
      Honestly though, I am not too big on buying them whole on a regular basis. Eating them can be a challenge, no matter how delicious, lol!

2. May 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Wow that looks delicious! Cooking lobster seems like quite a feat-I don’t think I have a pot big enough!

• May 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

It’s not too bad Erin. Sometimes I cook in a pan too, and simply rotate them by turn.

Good part is as they are already cooked, so you don’t have to cook for long.

3. May 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Looks really good and FANCY! Great post. Thanks for the visit! Enjoyed my time here!

• May 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Thank you so much Lois, and thank you for coming :)

4. May 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

This lobster curry looks so inviting! Thanks for visiting my blog. Enjoying yours, too!

• May 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I love the fresh recipes you have Elizabeth. I loved your coconut curry too the other day. It’s on my “to make” list.

5. May 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Oh that sounds fabulous. My husband won’t eat lobster so I’ve never made it at home. This is tempting me to give it a try.

• May 30, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Please do give it a try. You can also use lobster meat directly. That way you don’t have to buy or cook it whole, and it’s much more simple to eat as well. Thanks for stopping by :)

6. May 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Beautiful looking curry – it’s certainly a new way to serve lobster (which I love so much, omg!). It’s very rare that I can find lobsters here, although I think they sell lobster tails, frozen. I guess I can make this with those?

Thanks for dropping by my site :)

• May 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Oh yes! I would make this with lobster tails without blinking an eye. Honestly, they are more expensive to buy, and often don’t fit in the weekly budget. But were I to choose between cooking a whole lobster, and just the lobster tails, I would choose the latter. Thanks so much for stopping by :) Loved the chick peas.

7. June 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

WOW!! So sophisticated yet comforting. I agree that there’s seafood and then there’s lobster!

• June 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Thanks Kristy, so good to see you :) Crab would come a very close second, but lobsters still win the race for me.