Reasons for red stool in dogs and a Homemade dog food recipe for upset tummy

Last three weeks my German, Leo, has been a little off weather. My normally very active dog was slow and restless. He was puking and having diarrhea too. His vaccines are all upto date, so I wasn’t too worried about any any serious virus or bacterial infection. However, it did worry me that he wasn’t really coming out of it.

He was listless, and wasn’t really eating. He simply flopped on his paws and stayed there. When someone asked him to move, he just got up, walked a feet or two, and flopped down again. Bad. As a result, my Rottie Marina got upset too. She kept sniffing at him. And then she didn’t eat food because he didn’t eat. She NEVER, EVER leaves her food uneaten.

German Shephard

He is not really that interested in playing ball

German Shepherd and Rottweiller

Marina urges him to play

This was worrying. Memorial Day Monday it became worse, when he continued his puking and then started passing raspberry colored stool. Warning bells went off. I rushed him to the doctor Tuesday. The doc tested him, and figured it’s some kind of an infection that he has.

Dogs can pass red stool for a number of reasons. I found an excellent article on this here http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=677

and here: http://www.dog-health-guide.org/doghealthbloodinstool.html

Turns out, Leo was indeed suffering from Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE). The doctor prescribed him a some strong medications. She also suggested I make him some homemade food.

Feeding Leo any medicine is a nightmare. I tried prying his mouth open and popping in a pill. I succeeded the first time, as he does not mind me opening his mouth. The moment the pill went in, he shut his mouth. And kept it shut.

Next, I wrapped the capsule in cheese.He took it in, popped it right out, then licked the cheese clean off the capsule.

Inserting the tablet in a sausage achieved some measure of success. He took half a bite before he realized it was the pill. He dropped the half eaten pill on the floor. Next piece of hotdog successfully got the rest down.

As per the doctor’s instructions, I cooked him some chicken and rice, and added some squash in it. Squash is a cooling vegetable. I figured it’s normally good on the stomach for humans, so could have the same effect on dogs too.Here’s the recipe:

Cooking chicken rice meal:

1 cup boneless chicken (clean the fat out)

1 cup plain rice (brown is best, but I had run out of brown rice, so I cooked plain white rice).

1 squash diced

8 cups of water.

I mixed threw everything together and cooked it in Pressure cooker for 10 minutes. It looked something like this:

rice and chicken                                       I know, it’s looks a gloopy blob of white but

it smells divine to…..

this nose                                                         and                                      this nose

They gobbled it down in minutes. I snuck Leo’s capsule in it too. He gobbled that down as well.

He has been so much better today, back to barking at all the unexpected noises around the house. Plenty of them around too, most on 4 legs and furry tails. And Marina is back to her perky self. And back to playing.

German Shephard and Rottweiler

17 comments for “Reasons for red stool in dogs and a Homemade dog food recipe for upset tummy

1. May 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I can’t sneak pills into Charlie’s food. He just knows. He hates the flea tablet he gets every month but it works so I break it in two and poke it down his throat. I hold his mouth closed and rub under his chin until I feel him swallow. If he’s resistant I hold up a treat in my other hand. He swallows to fit the treat in.

Like the doggy recipe.

• May 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM

It’s always a challenge feeding them pills. I can poke it down Marina’s throat. Her jaws are wider, and though she hates the heart-worm pills, I still can get them down. With Leo, no chance. I have switched them over to injections now for heart-worm, and gels for fleas and ticks.For any other medication, he gets down the first, but then he clamps it shut. No amount of coaxing will get it open. He won’t even open it for cheese, his fav treat. You should have seen us at the vet, two nurses and I tried popping the pill in, but he wouldn’t have any of it.

The rice is very sticky, so I make a small ball, stick it in. He gulps it, so thankfully it’s going down, for now.

2. May 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

How scary … Best wishes and glad to see things are looking up!

• May 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Thanks CJ! Yes, it was scary for a while. Thankfully he has gotten much much better. He is almost back to normal today.

3. June 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Leoooo! The handsome boy is better! :D I am so glad.
    Antara recently posted..Blank PagesMy Profile

4. June 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

It’s so hard when they are sick b/c they can’t tell you what’s wrong! Glad he is doing better. Plain yogurt is supposed to be good for upset doggy tummies too. I gave some to my puppy when he was having vomiting/diarrhea…he loved it!
    Kim of Mo’Betta recently posted..Teacher Gift IdeaMy Profile

• June 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

That’s a great option. Believe it or not, I have a friend whose parents raised not one, but two Germans on a vegan diet of rice and yogurt. They are still living at the ripe old age of 15. I have not been that brave, but I think I’ll try it.

5. September 4, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Love this! I live in San Diego and go to the zoo about once per week. Great job!
    Peter recently posted..How to dogs medication drinksMy Profile

6. October 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Hi, Minnie! Love this section dedicated to info about dogs. We’re about to get a bulldog puppy and are so excited! You know me – our puppy will definitely be eating whole foods. LOL! Blessings, Kelly
    Kelly @ The Nourishing Home recently posted..Pumpkin Swirl Bars (GF, DF option)My Profile

• October 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Thanks so much Kelly! Congrats on your pup! I am so happy for you, and that one little dog is such a lucky little chap :)

This reminds me that I should post more about dogs. Will work on it.

7. October 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I’m glad the vet had you make food at home for Leo. In my opinion, homemade food is usually better for your dog anyways. I feed my dog homemade food and haven’t had any serious health issue so far (knock on wood). I don’t like feeding him meds but in some cases their needed. Glad Leo is doing better!
    Jim Bradley recently posted..Success StoriesMy Profile