Garlic infused yogurt blackpepper chicken – gluten free slow cooker recipe

Yogurt chicken

This one is a truly ‘throw-it-all-together-and-forget-it’ recipes that gives a chicken dish you can serve in any party and wow the crowd. This entry had once fetched me the second prize at a cooking competition. I lost the first place due to my presentation skills ( or rather the lack of it).

Right after we got married, parents of a dear friend of mine invited us over to dinner. Singh Aunty (in India, we always call our friend’s parents Aunty & Uncle – it’s disrespectful to call them anything else, especially by their name. So we always called them Aunty/Uncle prefixed by their name or last name – like Anita Aunty, Martin Uncle, Patel Aunty, Gupta Uncle….you get the drift) prepared this dish and we were bowled over by it. Newly married and a total novice in the kitchen, I tried to learn how she had made it. She told me the recipe like ladies normally do – a pinch of this and a dash of that – but though I’m not 100% sure I got it right, but I did somehow get it pretty good. I’m sure she is still making it for her large brood of 3 sons, 3 daughter-in-laws and houseful of grand kids. I would love to have her make it for us one more time, and maybe someday she will, but till then, I satisfy my drooling taste buds with this recipe.

pepper chicken

We like a little heat in our cooking, so I added chopped chillies early on but that’s optional.

The best part about this recipe is that there is no stove top cooking – really, there isn’t – or any other kind of kitchen counter exercise involved. It does not even need much chopping, slicing, dicing etc etc. I have added chopped onions in the past, but I prefer to make the dish without any now a days. You can add finely chopped onions if you want to. Very high in nutrition factor, and very low in effort, cooking can’t get better than this.

Difficulty level: Very Easy

Serves: 4

What I use:

A Slow Cooker

2 lbs chicken cubed (I use boneless thighs)

2 cups yogurt ( I use Stonyfield Organic certified gluten free yogurt)

1 tbsp. garlic paste

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar (You can use Organic sweetener/Stevia instead or skip it entirely)

2 tbsp. cracked/coarsely ground peppers (do not use bottled black pepper powder for this)

1 tsp. black pepper whole

4-5 Thai green chilies or jalapeno

Few cilantro leaves for garnish

How I do it:

Smear the chicken with garlic paste and salt and let it sit for half an hour.

Lay the chicken at the bottom of the slow cooker.

Sprinkle cracked black pepper all over it.

Whip the yogurt and pour it over the chicken. It should cover the chicken nicely.

Add half of whole black peppers & sugar

Cover the cooker, and set it at low.

Cook for 8-10 hours (overnight works fine if you are comfortable).

Open and add green chilies and the rest of black pepper.

Cook it for another hour. Garnish with cilantro.

Serve hot. (You can reheat if required)

Nutrition level: Very high in niacin, phosphorus, selenium,vitamin B6

Calories: 400 Appx. per serving.

thelady8home note:  Most of the heat comes from cracked peppers. Green chilies are simply added to impart colors and infuse flavor. Despite all the peppers, the end result is a richly textured dish which is mildly hot, subtle in its sweetness and amazingly tender.

Also, you can cook it without the slow cooker too. Simply put everything in a heavy bottomed pan, cover it tightly, and let it simmer on slowest setting for 4-6 hours. Check once in a while to see if it looks OK.

This post is linked to Allergy Free Wednesdays #20. For more amazing allergy free recipes and information, please visit Allergy Free Wednesdays column hosted by 7 wonderful bloggers. It is also linked to Whole Foods Wednesday Recipe Swap #53. hosted by This Chick Cooks.

Further linked to Fabulous Fridays. This is hosted by 3 wonderful bloggers:

Let me know how it turned out for you. And I would be thrilled if you could leave a comment. I promise I would reply as soon as possible, and then promptly visit your blog.

16 comments for “Garlic infused yogurt blackpepper chicken – gluten free slow cooker recipe

1. June 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM

When we were growing up in Maine we didn’t use our friends’ parents names either. We never got past Mr or Mrs surname. It would have been disrespectful. I don’t think that tradition lives on though. 🙂

I love this chicken dish!! It looks terrific and SO easy. I’ll try Singh Aunty’s chicken!

2. June 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Interestingly, the tradition continues, but it’s more restricted to this northern part of New England area. I’m sure it’s there in Central parts of US too. I have often been addressed as ‘Miss Minnie’ or ‘Mrs Gupta’ around here, but not so much in the west coast……

Funny thing is, this whole Aunty concept is fast taking a backseat even in India. We have a joke going on for decades now – ‘don’t call me Aunty’…..purely because it sets the ladies firmly with the decrepit crowd ;p Cheeky females use the ‘Aunty’ trick all the time to set their own age bar lower, much to the older women’s chargin, hahaha!I had a woman my age instruct my 5 yr old son once not to address her as Aunty – a rule that I had taken great pains in setting. Another woman almost 5 years senior to me addressed me as “Aunty’ at her wedding while introducing me to her husband, much to the poor guy’s discomfort. It was my first party after my marriage! Why? My husband was her father’s colleague, never mind that hubby was almost an entry level guy while her dad was a VP.

3. Only Fish Recipes
    June 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I absolutely love dum recipes dear!!!!they infuse a lot of flavors to the dish !!!!yogurt chicken looks absolutely delicious dear !!!!!!

• June 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Thanks Sonali! I so agree!

4. June 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I really must get myself a slow cooker. Cooking the chicken for 8 hours in the yoghurt and spices must give it the most unbelievable flavour. I would love to try this xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Rosie the ActressMy Profile

• June 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM

It really does! I always used to think why someone would advocate cooking something so slow…..now I know. Indian cuisine is filled with recipes that call for slow cooking. Over the years,economics and time limitations have vastly affected this line of cooking.
      Minnie recently posted..Garlic infused yogurt blackpepper chicken – slow cooker recipeMy Profile

5. June 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This does sound easy and terribly yummm! My college life will need this!
    Antara recently posted..Blank PagesMy Profile

• June 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

You bet! Remind me to send you a couple more that I have. They are easy and don’t take much.

6. June 4, 2012 at 2:57 AM

This sounds divine and thank you for sharing this lovely recipe with us! Second place is still great! 😀
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Sticky Orange, Chilli & Vodka Cake – Slightly Mad but Delicious!My Profile

7. June 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

This looks amazing! I actually just bought a slow cooker for my apartment, and don’t really have many ideas of what to make so this will be going on my recipe list 🙂
    Erin {Recimplicity} recently posted..Peanut Granola BitesMy Profile

8. June 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

This is a great recipe! I love recipes like this! Thank you for sharing!
    Christi Silbaugh recently posted..Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

Comments are closed.