Kasuri Methi Murg – Chicken made with exotic Fenugreek leaves

Chicken recipe

I have been wondering lately – does New England weather always suck, or am I special? It’s been grey, drizzly, and with the yellow mucky pollen wash of the last two weeks still lurking in those unreachable nook and cranny, it’s been a little challenging to keep looking at the brighter side of life.

We finally got the pool covers taken off for the summer. At least it lifted the spirits of my 9 year old, who has been planning his pool birthday party since March. So could we have the party tomorrow? No. We need to send the invites first, and also maybe wait for summer to behave like summer again? You know – the hot, sunny, glary bright kind?

Obviously, dumpy spirits are not great for churning out great recipes. As I have mentioned before, I have picky eaters who have problems with each and every ingredient on this planet. One doesn’t like fish or chicken but won’t eat vegan either, other dislikes all forms of protein AND vegies, yet another grumbles about the kind of gravy cooked or lack of it. Heck, even my GSD is a picky eater. It’s a constant war for me to find the right balance. I could open dozens of cook books and copy recipes one after the other, and then end up finishing most of it myself, sharing the rest with the trash can. As I said, even my dogs discriminate when it comes to eating. Scratch that. My Rottie is a sweetheart in this regard. Too bad I can’t feed her half the things that I cook.

Hence I am on a constant quest to figure out recipes that will go down without a war at the dining table. But there is an upside to it as well. When a recipe does pass muster, it often turns out to be truly delicious. Kasuri Methi Murg is a recipe that I developed during one of those quests. It has been a hot favorite at my picky eating dining table, and has wowed the guests as well. I also have a tendency to churn out quick dishes, and this is one of them. It does not need any fancy cooking. Basically you fry the chicken on high heat with all the ingredients, and then add the herb at the end. “Murg” by the way is Hindi word for chicken.

If you frequent Indian restaurants, chances are, the chicken tikka masala or the paneer butter masala that you ate was Fenugreek leaves chickenflavored with kasuri methi. Kasuri methi is dried fenugreek leaves, an herb that has long been considered to have high medicinal qualities both in Indian and Chinese medicine. It comes in dried leaf form, and has somewhat of a bitter taste by itself. But when you add this herb to any dish, the flavor is a rich tart taste that balances out over sweet flavors like sweet tomatoes or onions. The trick is to add the right quantity.You can buy this herb at any local Indian grocery store. Or, you can also order it online from Amazon. One packet of Kasuri methi lasts a long time. I have stored kasuri methi longer than two years in airtight containers.

Kasuri Methi Murg – Chicken made with exotic Fenugreek leaves

• 2” cinnamon sticks
  • 1 tsp. black pepper whole
  • 3 Thai Chilies
  • 1 tsp. garlic paste
  • 1 tsp. ginger paste
  • 1-1/2 tsp. fenugreek leaves
  • 2 tbs. oil (I use Extra virgin olive oil)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  1. Heat Oil
  2. Fry onions till glazed
  3. Add chicken. Fry till starts losing its white look and acquires a golden brown crust. Keep stirring constantly
  4. While the chicken is frying, add chili powder.
  5. Once chicken looks nicely browned, add tomatoes (I slice tomatoes right over the pot while adding them simultaneously)
  6. Fry till soft.
  7. Add cinnamon and pepper.
  8. Now add garlic. Fry till cooked.
  9. Add ginger and chilies ( at this point, chilies will just infuse flavor, not heat.For more heat, add a couple early on, when you fry onions).
  10. Using your fingers, grind the fenugreek leaves and sprinkle all over the chicken.
  11. Cook for 1 minute and take it off the heat.
  12. Sprinkle lemon juice
Notes
Serve with pita/naan/roti/tortillas
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 Calories: 300 Fat: 99 Saturated fat: 2g Unsaturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 4% Sugar: 5g Fiber: 2.8g Protein: 38g Cholesterol: 96mg

This recipe is linked to Recipe Swap #53 for Whole Foods Wednesday at This Chick Cooks, and Fit and Fabulous Fridays#35 at Amy’s Savory dish.

23 comments for “Kasuri Methi Murg – Chicken made with exotic Fenugreek leaves

1. June 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I remember summers in Maine where we had only one or two nice days. Thankfully it doesn’t happen often. I love summers in New England. Hate the black flies though.

Terrific chicken dish, it looks really good.
    Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef recently posted..She Knows Australian Bloggers and OnionsMy Profile

• June 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Thanks so much Maureen, you made my day :)

2. June 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

That looks absolutely gorgeous! And I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been in not great spirits. The weather does that to me too! I bet everyone has fun at your party with the better weather!
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Discovering Nice, FranceMy Profile

3. June 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Hey Minnie,

A wonderful site you have here. You voted for my story “Superstitious” remember ?

Well I followed your link and landed up here and what do I find ? a wonderful website dedicated to homemakers and making home management a fun experience for ‘em.
    Know what ?…I’m a total foodie and your website is just the right thing for me…Taking printouts and translating its contents onto the dining table,

Your regular visitor from now on.

Regards,

Anupam

• June 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Hi Anupam,

Thank you so much! Welcome aboard. Getting to read such a lovely comment first thing in the morning sure makes my day!I’m looking forward to see you here, and read more of your lovely write ups too.

4. June 7, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I was actually looking for a new chicken recipe to try out… This one looks very sumptuous and mouth-watering….
    Rujuta recently posted..10 simple ways to get more out of your lifeMy Profile

• June 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM

I will look forward to hearing your feedback. Thank you so much!

5. June 7, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Why my comment didn’t appear???
    Rujuta recently posted..10 simple ways to get more out of your lifeMy Profile

• June 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Sorry Rujuta, it was waiting for approval. Thank you so much for stopping by.

6. Barnali
    June 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I am going to try this today for sure. Curd & daal & etc etc, food part turning too boring for us…and somehow i seem to lack ideas what to cook. hehehe. This looks so tempting…i am going for this as our dinner today.

• June 7, 2012 at 6:27 AM

I can only hug you for this :D :D Kasoori methi ta dewar shomaye ektu check kore niyo, beshi hoye gele teto hoye jaaye. Tell me how it turned out.

7. June 7, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Yum – looks delicious. And not too tricky to make either. Think I might try this out on Saturday!
    Molly @ Mother’s Always Right recently posted..Comment on These moments by MollyMy Profile

• June 7, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Just the thing I wanted to hear :) Thanks so much for stopping by Molly. I am looking forward to hearing your feedback.

8. June 7, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Mouthwatering Recipe.
    Must try it soon.
    Vikram Karve recently posted..ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY – Short Fiction – A Love Story – Passionate RomanceMy Profile

• June 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Thank you Vikram, good to see you:) Do let me know how it turned out.

9. June 8, 2012 at 7:28 AM

I’ve never cooked with fenugreek leaves! This dish sounds absolutely lovely!
    the wicked noodle recently posted..i’ll take a salted caramel sauce, straight upMy Profile

• June 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Try it! It’s truly amazing. I haven’t tried combining it with any other flavors, but I’m thinking burgers. Trying out some today. Let me see how it turns out.

10. June 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I love your site! This chicken dish is spiced beautifully! I love the flavor combination….delicious! Thank you for sharing at Fit and Fabulous Fridays!
    Amee recently posted..Mascarpone Stuffed Dates with Maple DrizzleMy Profile

• June 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Thanks so much Amee, I love visiting our site too. I love your creativity. Thanks so much for including my chicken recipe.

11. July 25, 2013 at 4:01 AM

This looks great. Thanks for sharing.

• July 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM