Mango mint sweet and tangy

Mango and mint drink

Yard work is hard work, and not necessarily a pleasant one, unless you like pulling out weeds and stepping on mushy soil and who-knows-what-else while cleaning it all up. The result is infinitely satisfying, but the journey is one of those you wish you didn’t have to make.

mango and melon

Let me make this clear, yard work that I am referring to is not gardening, which invokes warm and fuzzy images of a petite, apron clad beauty digging daintily at the soil bed, planting gorgeously colorful pansies and tulips. The yard work I’m referring to involves removing mildew, gunky green stuff from decks and the rails, checking water quality of the water bodies inside of that yard, flushing the green slime and slush out of the fish pond with bare hands (gloved, still, pretty yucky), hosing down debris off the platformed deck, and then flopping down on a chair only to find out it has been brutally defecated upon by the flying residents of that yard.

Yuck! Scratch that. Make that ‘Eww’.

All that hard work calls for a great refreshing drink. Ever the fan of mangoes, I found some in the fridge (I always do, especially the ones which are less than sweet. They are always left behind for Mom). I decided to make something cool and rejuvenating. I also have a confession to make – I like my drinks sweet. Not sugar bomb sweet (not always anyway :D), but tangy sweetness is good. Minty sweetness is even better.Somebody once told me, ‘why don’t you power-wash?’ I do. But power-wash only does so much and no more. Nothing works like a good mop, cloth, some washing detergent and plain bucket of water.

I also had some watermelon – I love these. I could gorge on eat them whole day. My younger one loves watermelon too, and he always leaves some for Mom because he knows how much I love them. Aren’t these the moments that make every drop of sweat you shed worth it? I found a couple of pieces from a previous buy and put the mangoes and the watermelon in the blender. But this was going to be too sweet, and no tang.

Orange juice! So clever. And then some mint. Perfect.

Mango and mint drink

I wasn’t inclined to being too health conscious a girl at this moment. So I added a dollop of sugar free Real Light whipped cream.

Mango and mint drink

Yumm……..

Mango mint sweet and tangy
Recipe type: Drink
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

A light refreshing fruit drink
  • 1 cup organic pure orange juice
  • 1 cup watermelon cubed
  • 1 cup mango sliced
  • 4-5 fresh mint leaves
  • ½ cup of crushed ice
  • A piece of watermelon and mint leaves for garnish
  • a dash of salt
  1. Put all the ingredients in a blender with ice and blend till smooth.
  2. Garnish with a slice of watermelon and mint leaf.
  3. Serve.
Notes
You can add a dollop of whipped cream, but that's optional.

This recipe is linked to Fit and Fabulous Fridays #36 from Amee’s Savory Dish.

thelady8home Note: Facebook is making some changes again. To make sure you see thelady8home in your feed, hover over the “Liked” button and make sure “Show in News Feed” is checked. Also, read this post  from  ‘Penny Pinching Mom’ about how to create lists so you never miss a post!

24 comments for “Mango mint sweet and tangy

1. June 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Drudgery like those chores deserves a drink as fantastic as this one is!
    Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Macadamia Toffee Crunch Ice CreamMy Profile

2. June 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Dear hubby does all the outside work … Can I still have one? 🙂
    CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Strawberry Shortcake with Almond Flour BiscuitMy Profile

• June 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM

You can have two! 😀

My hubby dear does the majority of the outside work too. But I need to pitch in as well, especially the weekly stuff that gets left undone during the weekend. What would we do without our Mister Halves!!

To think we have our own food tasters. Yeah!
      Minnie recently posted..Mango mint sweet and tangyMy Profile

3. June 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I love being outside but am very wary of being outside, especially yards. Many years ago I helped my mum in the yard planting flowers and ended up in the emergency room because of a bite I was allergic to!

My hubby does all the drudge work outside. I should make him one of these deliciously refreshing drinks. Beautiful colours.
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Indian Style Braised Beef with Rainbow ChardMy Profile

• June 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Awww….poor you. The bugs scare me too, and I am deathly scared of poison ivy plants, more so because I have no clue how they look like and what should I look for. Once I had two tiny pimples on my cheek, and because I normally don’t get pimples, I freaked out, thinking sure it was some poison ivy thing, hahaha!

4. June 15, 2012 at 6:16 AM

This would be so refreshing! And power washing? I’ve never heard of that before. Clearly I haven’t been cleaning efficiently! 😀
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Yummy Yummy Chinese Seafood Restaurant, RiverwoodMy Profile

• June 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

hahahaha! Powerwashing is nothing but a supersonic jet of water dispersed by a machine you can buy at Walmart or Home Depot here. I’m sure you are doing fine.

5. June 15, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Loving this gorgeous gorgeous minty mango treat my friend 😀

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Birthday, Brownie, CrownieMy Profile

• June 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Did you check out the post for FoodStories nominee? You are one.

6. June 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM

lovely post dear !!!I always love reading your posts 🙂 n what a lovely refreshing fruit drink,loved the addition of mint in it !!!!

• June 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Thanks so much Shalini, that’s so sweet of you. Hugs.

7. June 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

not only does this look healthy but also refreshing and tasty! this is my kinda drink 😀
    cakewhiz recently posted..Peanut butter and chocolate chip cookiesMy Profile

• June 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Thanks so much!! Welcome to my blogging world 🙂

8. June 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Hi Minnie, that looks like a fantastic drink – cooling and wonderful to sit down with after the chores. They’re not fun to do, but I bet you feel great when it’s all done and taken care of!

• June 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Thanks Charles. You are so very right. The end result at times acts as a much needed boost to the ego too!

9. Pam
    June 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

It looks refreshing and delicious.
    Pam recently posted..Father’s Day Round-UpMy Profile

• June 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Thanks so much!

10. June 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM

This looks so light and refreshing! I am so glad that you shared this summery drink on Fit and Fabulous Fridays!!
    Amee recently posted..Fit Features of the WeekMy Profile

• June 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Thanks Amee! Thank you for the opportunity 🙂

11. bini basheer
    May 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Really loved this one..A fabulous drink to beat this unbearable hot climate

12. Bini Basheer
    June 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Really loved the combination of my favourite fruits…Even I tried it at home minnie….refreshing drink dear…

Comments are closed.