Happy Dogs, Granola-blueberry Parfait on 4th of July

Blueberry parfait great

Its 4th of July. Celebrate America!!

Are you celebrating? I am. This great country has a lot going for it, and take it from someone who has adopted this country as her own – there are few lands on Earth that is this beautiful, inside out. Don’t go on political rhetoric and Hollywood whitewash. This is as traditional and as morally upstanding a land as you would find anywhere.

Blueberry granola parfait

My kids look forward to 4th of July celebration every year. No matter which part of USA it is, finding a parking to watch the fireworks can be a pain. Last two years, we simply drove through, stopping wherever we found some space, until a policeman found us and send us on our way to more driving. We watched enviously as families gathered with picnic baskets, beach blanket and folding chairs to watch the shooting fires from vantage points. However, we aren’t a family that takes the pain to camp out that early for a space to watch anything, even 4th of July fireworks. So drive by it is.

A scared dog is not a happy dog

Do you have dogs? If you do, then please leave your K9 companion behind when going out to watch fireworks. Dogs get nervous and fireworks hurt their ears. Even the shooting fire-sprays have them running for shelter.

You might find your normally brave and curious dog hunching under the bed, by the sofa or in some corner, cowering and shivering. Some dogs bark incessantly. Some jump up and own the furniture. Comfort her if you possibly can. Make sure she has water nearby, and some comfort toys or blankets to make her feel safe. Once the noise pollution stops, she will be fine. Till then, do whatever you can to make her feel as stress free as possible.

A great article on dealing with your pet’s fireworks anxiety: http://www.petside.com/article/dont-ignore-your-dogs-fireworks-anxiety

What’s 4th of July without some calorie enhancing dessert? I made this parfait, and cut out Twizzlers twisters to make a few stars. The parfait disappeared pretty fast, with demands of second helping.

blueberries and twisters

4th July Granola-blueberry Parfait
Recipe type: Dessert
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4

• 2 cups whipped cream
  • 1 cup castor sugar
  • 2 twister bars strawberry flavored
  • 2 Kellogg’s Vanilla granola bars
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  1. Whip cream till it forms soft peaks. Add ¾ cup castor sugar and blend well.
  2. Save a few blueberries for garnish, and grind the rest with ¼ cup castor sugar into a smooth paste.
  3. Crumble the granola bars.
  4. Slice the twister bars with scissors to form tiny stars.
  5. Layer a tall glass with cream, blueberry paste, granola bars.
  6. Decorate with saved blueberries, whipped cream and twister bars.
  7. Serve chilled.

Parfait

PS: Someone pointed out my dogs look so scared…..an update on that. They are not scared, they are SLEEPY. AFTER they went up and down the stairs for half an hour, and then running around fetching ball in the sun. I woke them up from their exhausted slumber (look at their faces, Marina can’t even open her eyes, :D).

Happy 4th All!

22 comments for “Happy Dogs, Granola-blueberry Parfait on 4th of July

1. July 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM

The red, white and blue parfait is gorgeous. I have two small dogs and they’re not troubled by fireworks or thunder. Very unusual. Happy 4th of July xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..A Proficient ActorMy Profile

2. July 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM

How patriotic! I know how you feel as I left the states and came to Australia and I celebrate both the 4th of July AND Australia Day. I love it!
    Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Iles Flottantes or Floating IslandsMy Profile

July 4, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Your parfaits look totally fit to celebrate with my friend – yum :D
    And such wonderful dog owners :)

CCU recently posted..CCU Undercover + A Wannabe GozlemeMy Profile

4. July 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Loved your post – you are lucky to have such wonderful dogs
    Vikram Karve recently posted..A GEM OF WISDOM FROM SWAMI VIVEKANANDAMy Profile

5. July 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM

This is the perfect 4th of July dessert Minnie! And yes good for you for shouting out to our four legged friends :)
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Hot ‘N Cheesy Chorizo DipMy Profile

• July 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Thanks Lorraine!

6. July 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Hi Minnie – I was driving through Versailles, in France last July on the 14th. We’d gone out late to get some coffee and ice-cream and completely forgot that it was Bastille Day so the whole main avenue was filled with people with fireworks at the top by the castle. This year I’m going to try and find a good place to go earlier so I can enjoy the fireworks and get some good pictures! I hope you enjoyed the 4th of July and thanks for sharing your parfait – it looks so nice!

• July 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Wow!! Castle and fireworks…..that must have been spectacular! July 4th is just round the corner, so I am looking forward to see the pics.

7. July 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM

What neat idea to make super easy twizzler stars! These will be making an appearance in my Fourth of July desserts next year for sure!
    Erin {Recimplicity} recently posted..The FourthMy Profile

8. July 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Hi Minnie! I can’t tell you how happy I am that we met through the Blue Ribbon Challenge! I can’t believe how much we have in common. And how much I enjoy reading your posts. I’ve nominated you and your wonderful blog for The Addictive Blog Award. You can find more information at http://bit.ly/MDBEIb. Congratulations! Before I leave, I have to tell you – the parfaits look fabulous! And we have 2 nervous-Nellies (out of 3) in our home,so we forego the fireworks and stay home with them. It just works out better for everyone.
    Stephanie @ It’s not just about the recipe . . . . recently posted..The Addictive Blog AwardMy Profile

• July 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

OMG! Thanks SO SO much Stephanie! You are best :D

9. July 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

These are beautiful & I love the cute smiley face picture :-)
    CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Oven Fried Chicken TendersMy Profile

• July 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Thank you CJ :)) Food photography is turning out to be a lot of fun.

10. July 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

My poor dog gets so scared at fireworks, and has just started to bark when she hears them. So that’s fun. Those parfaits look DELICIOUS!
    Artchoo! recently posted..What’s an ATC?My Profile