A dislocated ride and Homemade fries

Twenty minutes into the Water Park, my husband dislocated his shoulder.

Rewind. Charlie’s swim lesson adventures from her blog Hotly Spiced made me revisit an incident that happened when my younger son was about 3 years old. He was terrified of water bodies. Though he loved spending hours in the bath tub, he would not even dip his toes in a pool. He would not go within 6 feet of a pool. Or sea. Or water-park pools for that matter.

My older son on the other hand adored water-parks and anything with water in it. We had been to water-parks earlier, but I guess my younger tot was too little to make his opinion known. We had figured out he didn’t like water bodies, but didn’t know it bordered on paranoia.

Homemade fries soft

One batch fried soft

On a hot summer day that year, we decided to go to a water-park in Cape Cod. The moment our tickets were done and we had changed, my older son took off, and I followed him, leaving hubs and the tot behind at the kiddie pool area. 10 minutes later I met my husband near the kiddie water pool. He was trying to coax and cajole our very militant little kid to get into various kiddie play areas that punctuated the massive water park. Our tot would have none of it.

Finally hubs decided to take him onto the kiddie slide that had about an inch wide water stream flowing down it. Our kiddo loved slides, so I guess hubs figured our tottie would be OK with it. Then it happened.

As hubs tried to maneuver himself down the slide with out tottie on lap, his shoulder got stuck on the wall of the stone slide. Pop!

I know, it sounds painful. It was. The next few minutes were blurred. As I hunted down my older kid in the busy park while trying to keep a second squirming one still, I struggled to contain my frayed nerves and not go into a panic attack. The funny thing was, when my husband plopped in and sat immobilized in that 6 inches deep water pool, my son got up from his lap, and WALKED across that entire pool to reach me. As the ambulance took hubs away, I took stock of my situation. I couldn’t stay inside the park as my older was too young to be allowed to play by himself, while my tot obviously would not allow me to go into the water. So I checkout out of the park with a rain check. While emptying the locker on my way out, I realized that in the haze of pain, hubs had taken both the phones from there. I had my money bag, but I had changed purse and hadn’t transferred any of the Debit/Credit cards. All I had was a total of $20.00 in cash.

Now I was out of the park, in an unknown city, with two very young kids, with no phone, little money, and could not drive. Yup. I didn’t have a license, and I did not know how to drive.

I had just started taking lessons, and I was a pathetic slow learner ( I could never keep the car inside of a lane). That meant our car was pretty much useless to me. I could have taken a taxi, but to where? The ambulance came and took hubs while I was trying to get my 5-year-old off a big Water slide line. I had no clue where the hospital was. The park people couldn’t help either as most were from outside of that city. I could hardly get into a taxi with no money and go on a hospital hunt ride. Maybe the taxi would have taken me there, but how would I pay him?

Plus no phone meant once I was away from the park, hubs would have no way to contact me. So I trekked the kids down to a Burger king nearby, fed them well, picked up some drinks and fries, and trudged back to the Water Park gate. There, we sat on the dusty ground, toasting in the sun, snacking on oily comforting fries and soda, for next 5 hours, waiting for hubs to call the park. ( I knew he would do that, so I had requested the park officials to pass the message onto me.)

He did, around 5 pm in the evening. We jumped into a taxi and were with him in minutes. He was a bit drowsy from the anesthesia, in a shoulder cast, but strong pain killers meant he was doing better. He even drove us back home, even though a couple of friends were on their way to us (I had called them from borrowed cell phones). Stubborn man, my hubs. Just like my little kid.

Potato fry marinade

I also remember something special about that afternoon. As we sat there, outside, on a towel and in the heat, my kids were angels. Not once did they cry, or complain. I had nothing on me to entertain them with, (I wasn’t expecting a Plan B) but they did all right. Including my tot. My 5 yr old, who loved Water-park so much, had no issues sitting and playing outside in the dirt, even when he could see hordes of children having fun inside.

And in that five hours I made two promises to myself:

a) I was going to enroll my stubborn tot into a pre-school that gave swim lessons as a part of their curriculum.

b) I would get my license as soon as I could schedule a driving test.

I did both within next two months.

Stress situations often call for comfort food, and we had some at Burger king that day. These homemade fries are at the top of my family’s comfort food list.

Homemade fries
Recipe type: Snack
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

• 6 large potatoes sliced round with skin intact
  • ½ tsp sugar
  • 1tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Oil for deep frying
  1. Wash and slice the potatoes.
  2. Marinade with cayenne, turmeric, sugar and salt.
  3. Let the potatoes sit in marination for half an hour (V.important)
  4. Deep fry them and serve hot.
  5. You can either fry them till they are nice and light golden for softer fires.
  6. Else you can fry them till they are deep golden brown for stiffer fries.
  7. Transfer on kitchen paper towels to drain excess oil. Press another sheet on top to drain more oil. Transfer on a fresh plate lined with table tissues.
  8. Munch away.
Notes
As my sons say, you don't even need ketchup to eat these.

Homemade fries

This post is linked to:

29 comments for “A dislocated ride and Homemade fries

1. August 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

What a story! I’ve often made fried potatoes like this but without the spices. I’m definitely trying this!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Banana Muffins – BreadMy Profile

August 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM

You and your children have nerves of steel my friend – it sounds like you had so many odds against you but you pulled through so well :)
    Achieving goals and stressful situations deserve amazing chips like this :)

3. August 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Thanks Uru :)) I guess we do! Didn’t feel like that though, hahaha!

4. Bhaskar
    August 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I still remember this incident clearly. I remember not hearing from you whole day and then into my usual cribbings. =)) And next day you told everything. Jeejaji’s shoulder was supposed to get a surgery which never got done. ;-) As I tell everyone, you are really very strong!!! And I am among those lucky ones to have you beside me didi.

These fries, I SO miss them. My cook, masi as we used to call her, she would make them to have with chapatis. (Okay, now that was before ban on my fried food intake hahaha). I never had them last more than a year.

• August 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM

It’s nothing like that…:p Everyone would do what I did, trust me. But thank you, for being sweet as ever!

5. August 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I was trying to imagine all that as I was reading…wow. Quite an experience.
    Any fried food will pick me up anytime, but I especially love fried potatoes.
    I love a bit of chilli on my potatoes too. Yummy!

• August 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

It was. And not one I am eager to experience again I’m afraid! Thanks so much :)

6. August 31, 2012 at 7:20 AM

What great kids you have indeed! Could you imagine how awful the situation would have been if they had acted up? :( And I know what you mean, I’m so glad that I got my driver’s license after so long!
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Madame Fling Flong, NewtownMy Profile

• August 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Absolutely! No doubt about it. That’s why I remember to count my blessings.

7. August 31, 2012 at 11:26 AM

That is the sweetest (and slightly traumatic) story! I hope your hubs got better quick-that sounded painful! These fries look so comforting and delicious!
    Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Cheesy Chicken NoodlesMy Profile

8. August 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Thanks Kayle!

9. September 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Looks very tasty.. love to try one..

• September 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Thanks Rumana :)

10. September 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM

that was a really really a tough situation. i felt like i was reading a thriller and was wondering, ‘what’s going to happen next?’ and you know what? kids always understand situations better than grown up people and they act accordingly.

i love these fries!!

• September 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I concur.They do rise upto an occasion…..it has happened so many times with me.

11. September 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The August photo contest winner has been announced … hint/hint/hint … http://foodstoriesblog.com/2012/09/01/food-story-photo-contest-august-winner/
    CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Food Story Photo Contest – August WinnerMy Profile

• September 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

OMG!!! You serious???!!! Let me check….

12. September 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM

That just sounds horrendous. What a challenging day. I think you handled the situation really well. And thanks for the mention – very kind of you Minnie! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Harbour HikeMy Profile

• September 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Thanks Charlie! You are so welcome…..you are one of the best story tellers out there, and you inspire :))

13. September 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Great story! Love those fries! I especially like the addition of the turmeric!
    mjskit recently posted..Strawberry Tomato Salad with MintMy Profile

14. September 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Oh my, what a story Minnie – what a terrible thing to have happened. It must have been so stressful. I’m so glad it all worked out in the end :) Love the sound of these… I bet they’re a great pick-me-up after a tough day :)

• September 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Thanks Charlie! As they say, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger :D

15. September 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

oh my god minnie tht was some incident and now thanks to bhaskar came here, u have a great recipe here. i make that too minus sugar
    meena recently posted..Sweet Kesariya riceMy Profile

• September 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Hey Meena, welcome!!!!!! Good to see you here :D

16. May 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Those fries look extra delicious! I’m a fry lover!
    Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted..Sugar Snap Pea UpdateMy Profile

17. Momof2
    August 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Omg…I found this website searching about dislocated shoulder and this story is exactly the same that happened to me yesterday.except I had exact money to pay for the cab to hospital.I too have a toddler and a 7 year old.how long did it take for your hubby to recover?how long did he have to wear sling?

• August 19, 2013 at 7:58 AM

How eerie is that!!! If it has happened for the first time, then it will be painful first few days. For my husband, this was possibly the 5th time in 8 years. (He has dislocated 4 more times after this incident). So your husband would need to be careful about is not to strain it in future and go for physiotherapy. My husband normally keeps the sling on for about 3 weeks, though after the first week he tells me it is not that bad. Good luck with recovery.