Lobiya

I am about to kick off a trip to India, my ‘native’ place, as we call it in India. I am going there primarily to be by my Mom who is having a surgery, but make no mistake, I have full plans to make the best of it and have a blast. With all my cousins flocking into Kolkata to meet with me, it’s going to be a veritable visual feast. I can’t wait.

Will you miss me while I am gone? I bet not too much. Because you see, I have some absolutely fabulous bloggers to guest post on my blog during this time. They are just not food bloggers, they are story tellers and entertainers of the sublime kind.

This is the first ever Guest Post on my blog. To start with, I bring you a very special blogger, who is very close to my heart – Meena from Chattermusings.

Meena is not only a very talented food blogger, she also happens to be someone I have known personally for a long time. Our association started almost a decade ago. We used to frequent a forum long time back, and I came to know her as ‘chatterbox’, which used to be her handle there. She is a true chatterbox, and a dear one that. But chatting is not the only thing that she does, she can whip up some seriously great Indian food. She has a completely vegetarian blog, and if you ever want to find out what authentic home cooked Indian food looks like, do head over to her blog. Simple, delicious and oh so tasty. And yes, completely vegetarian Indian.

Thank you so much Meena for guest posting on my blog.

——————————–

Hi My name is Meena and I am from Mumbai. I am a well a multi-tasker managing a lot of things. I have a total vegetarian blog called Random Ramblings. I started writing about recipes much after I started my blog which contains a lot of random stuff from Computers, jokes to travel tales but now its total foodie blog. Do visit me to know more.

When Minnie asked me for a guest post, I was delighted but wondered what can I share and then I decided on this simple easy to make Black eyed beans curry or as we call it Lobiya.. It is delicious gravy and can be eaten with roti, chapati or even plain rice.Let me start how to make this Lobiya.

Lobiya
Recipe type: side
Cuisine: Indian

• 2 cups Black eyed peas
  • 2 potatoes medium sized
  • 2tbsps gram flour
  • ½ tsp red chilli powder
  • ½ tsp coriander powder
  • ½ tsp turmeric powder
  • ½ tsp garam masala powder
  • ½ tbsp tamarind
  • salt to taste
  • Asafoetida a pinch
  • 2tbsp oil
  • 4 green chillies
  • coriander leaves to garnish
  • ginger juliennes to garnish.
  1. Soak the beans in water 3-4 hours prior to cooking.
  2. Boil the potatoes and dice them and keep them aside.
  3. Boil the beans separately till they are cooked and soft, but not mushy.
  4. Soak tamarind in little water for 10-15mins. Squeeze the pulp and strain out tamarind water.
  5. Add gram flour,chilli powder,coriander powder and a little water to tamarind water and mix it properly. Keep it aside.
  6. In a big vessel, heat oil and add chopped green chillies.
  7. Add asafoetida and stir for a few minutes.
  8. Add tamarind water mixture to it and saute for 2-3 minutes.
  9. Add the boiled beans and potatoes and some more water.
  10. Add the remaining spices along with salt and let it cook for some time till you get required consistency of the gravy.
  11. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and ginger juliennes.
Notes: This gravy has been made without use of onion, garlic or tomatoes. Feel free to add them.

Hope you all like this dish. Thanks Minnie for giving me opportunity to share on your space.

19 comments for “Lobiya

1. November 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Thank you Minnie for this opportunity to share my dishes with everyone here.
    have a nice trip to India and wishes for mom
    meena recently posted..semolina vermicelli kesari— a guest postMy Profile

November 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM

My best to you my dear friend have a wonderful trip :D
    I simply love this guest post what an incredibly delicious bean curry!

CCU recently posted..In Vogue: Coconut OilMy Profile

3. November 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Hi Minnie,
    First time here..I have known Meena closely in the last few months and quite agree with you that she is such a lovely person.
    This is a very nice recipe specially during Navratras for those who avoid onion and garlic.
    Have a safe trip and best wishes for your mom.
    Shobha recently posted..MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP WITH OATSMy Profile

4. November 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM

looks so yummy Meenu… thanks for sharing Minne n Meenu…
    Today’s Recipe – Gulab Jamun SNC No – 2
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

vijayalakshmi dharmaraj recently posted..GULAB JAMUN SNC NO – 2My Profile

5. November 23, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Lobia curry looks delicious and is healthy too.
    swasthi recently posted..Palak Paneer Bhurji | Easy Paneer RecipeMy Profile

6. November 23, 2012 at 6:27 AM

This looks very yum Meenu…He he and as I say u r a real chatterbox..See everyone calls you so..Ha ha..Anyways Meenu is such a wonderful person and friend and I would call her a super woman ..Good work Minnie and Meenu :)
    Divya Pramil recently posted..Vendakkai Sambar – Guest Post For SireeshaMy Profile

7. November 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I knew you were going and I pray all will go well, you’ll have a great time and you’ll come back with fantastic stories and yummy dishes to share with us.

Lovely to meet Meena and this Lobiya looks terrific!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Dark Chocolate Cheesecake with Chocolate GanacheMy Profile

8. November 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM

hope for speedy recovery of your mom and see you soon.
    kitchen queen recently posted..Sprouted Lentils SubjiMy Profile

9. November 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Wow.. Delicious.. I din’t try this yet. But I have tasted it before. My aunty would do often!!! Will try it in the following week Meenu aunty!!!!
    Yashodha Anbuchelvan recently posted..QUICK CARROT POTATO SPICY SIDE DISHMy Profile

10. November 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Thank you Minnie again for sharing my recipe
    and thank you all for liking this. chatterbox hmm well ya my punctuations never come so in that sense yes non stop chatterbox :)
    meena recently posted..Lobiya curry– black eyed beans curry.My Profile

11. November 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Enjoy your time off Minni your mom and cousins.
    This is an interesting recipe of lobhia with potatoes and added gram flour.
    Balvinder recently posted..Sweet And Spicy Parsnip SoupMy Profile

12. November 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I love, love, love black eyed peas! I could make a salsa out of them, a soup, or just eat them from a bowl. Love the recipe <3

Shea

• November 30, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Thanks so much! Meena’s recipe rocks :)

13. November 26, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Hey Meens …….
    recipe looks yummy …Lobia is my favorite :-)
    Shruti Dhingra Wahi recently posted..Peas PulavMy Profile

14. November 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Enjoy your time in India and pray all goes well for your mum.

My mum used to make lobiya quite a lot but I don’t seem to for some reason. This post has reminded me how delicious it is. Thanks Meena!

Nazneen
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Apple and Onion Chicken SausageMy Profile

• November 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Thanks Nazneen :)

15. November 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Hope you have a great time in India and that your dear mother’s surgery goes well. I just made an Indian feast for company this past weekend and it worked out deliciously. I will be blogging about it soon.
    This recipe looks quite tasty.
    Eva Taylor recently posted..A Spanish Omelet Tapa; a versatile omelet hors d’œuvresMy Profile

• November 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Wow!! Can’t wait for it!!! Thank you for such kind words, it all looks OK for now. Mom is recovering well, so hopefully she will be fine soon.

16. December 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Hi minnie Hows ur mom now?

and everyone thanks for liking my lobiya recipe
    meena recently posted..Misal Pav..My Profile