Madlouah

My trip to India is underway, and while I put my hair down, paint Kolkata red, and have a blast, I hate to think you all are missing out on my treatise on wisdom :D NOT.

OK, so maybe nothing that drastic. But do say you are missing me, else you will break my heart. But then, I am giving you enough reasons not to miss me at all, because I have these absolutely fabulous bloggers gracing my space while I am away to the country of my birth, basking in love and excitement of my family, close and extended……….  Wait, before you all get green eyed, let me tell you that I am actually in India for my Ma’s surgery. And if everything goes as scheduled, she will already on her way to recovery by the time you are reading this post.

Enough about me. I will update about my trip complete with pictures when I come back. Today, however, I have one of my MOST fav blogger on the planet. She cooks authentic Middle Eastern Food, and when you look at those gorgeous pictures, you know you are dealing with a pro. Sawsan, from Chef in Disguise, is one of the most talented food bloggers in our blogosphere. She is proud of her heritage, and it shines through every post that she makes. If you haven’t met her yet, trust me, you are truly missing out on a spectacular Food author and her blog.

When I asked her to do a guest post, she sent me at least 7 different pictures asking me what I would like. I am not kidding, I could camp out at her house. Each picture generated more drool than the last. Over to Sawsan.

Hello everyone! My name is Sawsan and I am the author, cook, baker and photographer behind Chef in disguise. I live in Jordan, and that means I grew up enjoying the healthy and diverse middle eastern cuisine . However when I started cooking on my own I discovered a passion for trying out recipes from around the globe. So my cooking ended up being a mix of east and west. Attempting to get the best of both worlds, if you will. I share many traditional middle eastern, Levantine and arabic recipes on my blog along my takes on old and popular recipes. I also share recipes from different cuisines, countries and origins.

It is my pleasure to be a guest over at Minnie’s blog. She is heading home for a visit and I was more than happy to help out by being a guest at her wonderful blog. Minnie asked for a middle eastern recipe and I decided to share Madlouah (Semolina pudding) recipe. I love Madlouah because it is quick, easy, can be made ahead of time if you have guests, it is also versatile: you can top it with any seasonal fruit or change up the syrup. Use spice or cinnamon infused syrup or you can use fruit or chocolate syrups.
Taking a bite of madlouah gives you a combination of the velvety pudding with the coconut adding an interesting texture and flavor. A hint of mastic sets this pudding apart from anything you have ever tried. Next comes the richness of the heavy cream, the nuttiness of the pistachios and the perfect finish, refreshing fruit slices. All in one amazing bite :)

Madlouah recipe

4 cups milk
1/2 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup semolina
2/3 teaspoon ground mastic
1/2 cup heavy cream
Simple syrup :
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
juice of 1/2 lemon (2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon orange blossom water or rosewater (optional)
Decoration:
Ground nuts (traditionally pistachios)
Sliced fruits (strawberries, banana or any fruit of choice)

To make the Madlouah

Put the milk, coconut, semolina and ground mastic in a pot and stir continuously on medium low flame till the consistency thickens (10-15 minutes)
Pour into your serving dish, allow it to cool and then place it in the fridge
When the madlouah sets, spread the heavy cream on top
Right before serving sprinkle pistachios and arrange sliced fruit
Drizzle it with syrup

To make the simple syrup

Place the sugar, water and lemon juice in a pot and bring them to a gentle boil
allow them to simmer for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and add the orange blossom water

——-

Thank you So much Sawsan for this jaw dropping beautiful post. Sharing:

Grab a Button

28 comments for “Madlouah

1. December 2, 2012 at 3:39 AM

wow looks yummy. nice to know this recipe
    have stayed in gulf area but never tasted this dish before
    meena recently posted..Medu vada..My Profile

2. December 2, 2012 at 5:39 AM

This looks very pretty, I’d love to give it a try. I’ve never seen ground mastic here, any idea what it is so I can track it down? GG
    Glamorous Glutton recently posted..Christmas Gifts – Make It SpicyMy Profile

• December 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Hello GG

Mastic is usually sold in middle eastern and greek stores. It looks like little golden opaque crystals and is usually sold in little bottles
      Sawsan @chef in disguise recently posted..C is for cookiesMy Profile

3. December 2, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Minnie, I can’t wait to see your photos from “back home!”

You couldn’t have chosen a food blogger I enjoy more than Sawsan. Her food is outstanding but even more than that, her heart is as big as all outdoors.

I’ve never eaten madlouah before but from looking at the ingredients I would like it so much I licked the bowl clean.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Super Simple and Mouthwatering RibsMy Profile

• December 4, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I am so busy catching up with everything around me, that I don’t know where to begin :) I will post the pics soon.
      Minnie recently posted..Strawberry Nutella MacaronsMy Profile

4. Indrani
    December 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM

what is mastic?

• December 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Hello Indrani
      Mastic is a resin obtained from the mastic tree. It is called “arabic gum” (not to be confused with gum arabic) and “Yemen gum”. In Greece, it is known as the “tears of Chios” . like other natural resins, mastic is produced in “tears” or droplets. Originally liquid, it is sun dried into drops of hard brittle translucent golden crystals. When chewed, the resin softens and becomes a bright white and opaque gum.

Mastic is used in ice cream, puddings and milk based desserts and drinks and it is key in giving Nabulsi cheese its unique flavor. It is also commenly added to baked goods such as maamoul.
      Sawsan @chef in disguise recently posted..C is for cookiesMy Profile

5. December 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

how did the surgery go?

looking forward to the post about your trip. take care and have fun!! lovely post as usual.

December 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM

What a gorgeous traditional guest post Sawson this is fantastic :)
    Keel having a brilliant time in India aunty!

CCU recently posted..Guest Post #2: Raspberry Nutella MarshmallowsMy Profile

7. December 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Looks like summer on a plate to me—beautiful!!
    The squishy monster recently posted..In Recent NewsMy Profile

8. December 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Hello Minnie,
    I hope your mum’s surgery went well and that she is recovering and enjoying your company :)

I deeply appreciate you having me as a guest on your lovely space, I love your unique voice and take on things and I am humbled by your sweet words and introduction. Thank YOU!
    Sawsan @chef in disguise recently posted..C is for cookiesMy Profile

9. December 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Hello Minnie:
    Visiting a new blog is always a treat and following Sawsan to see one of her posts is never a disappointment. I’ve used semolina rarely though I’ve made a Greek sweet dessert called galactoboureko with it. This dessert seems simple to make and very tasty. The pictures look impressive as well.
    A_Boleyn recently posted..Chocolated Covered Caramels – Coarse Sea Salt and Plain VersionsMy Profile

• December 4, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Thank you so much for coming over :) I adore Sawsan :))

10. December 4, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Hello, Minnie. I came over to see Sawsan’s recipe and it is every bit as good as I had anticipated. It’s a pleasure to visit your blog and I doubt you could have chosen someone to be a better guest host than Sawsan. She’s terrific!

11. December 4, 2012 at 5:42 AM

I can almost taste this. It looks amazing, as Sawsan’s recipes always do! I saw mastic in my local Middle Eastern Grocer recently and was very intrigued! Looks so pretty. Will put it on the shopping list. Lovely blog Minnie. Hope you enjoy your trip to India and that your mother is OK.

• December 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

12. December 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Hope your Mom is recovering well and you are having a great time in India. Will Google mastic to learn more.

13. December 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Minnie, I love Sawsan and her recipes and was thrilled to see this one posted on your lovely blog. You do a terrific job! Congratulations!
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Translations and a Very French SandwichMy Profile

14. December 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Wow..it looks divine!!! I love the color combination of the picture and the texture of Madlouah looks similar to Indian dessert Burfi or Kalakand.

15. December 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Wow, what a terrific looking dish! So pretty, and I’m a sucker for the flavor – I love coconut! Really good stuff – thanks.

16. December 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Minnie – I hope everything went well with your mother’s surgery and she is having a good recovery. What a wonderful guest! I love Sawsan! Her photography always makes me hungry and envious of her talent! What an artist. Sawsan – you said this was simple and it certainly is! What a deliciously simple dessert!! Thanks you!
    mjskit recently posted..Grits and Green ChileMy Profile

17. December 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Thank you for sharing this on Manic Monday. I love that Sawsan was your guest, she is a fantastic blogger and one of the first people I “met” when I started blogging :)
    Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen recently posted..Cream of Mushroom Soup with Port WineMy Profile

18. December 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Hi Minnie, I’m here from Sawsan’s blog…wonderful choice in a guest blogger. I’m not surprised that she sent you seven photos from which to choose. She is amazing! Sawsan this recipe sounds delicious. I imagine the pistachios with the orange blossom syrup are amazing!
    Kristy recently posted..Fostering Another ContenderMy Profile

19. December 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Minnie what a lovely thing to visit here and see my friend Sawsan. Her work is always superb – which of course you knew – and this dessert is spectacular! Nice to meet you!

20. Shireen
    July 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Hi,

The dessert looks amazing :). Can someone please advise where I can purchase Mastic / Arabic Gum in UK stores?

Many Thanks.

Regards

• July 28, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I am afraid I have no clue…..I am guessing Lebanese or mediterranean stores somewhere?