Happy New Year!!!!

It’s snowing. Beautiful white puffed up flurries all over the place. It looks pristine, white, gorgeous.

Snow

May this New Year bring prosperity, happiness and love all around. May this year wash away the unpleasant and bring in the beautiful for all of us around the world.

View of the woods from my Kitchen

View of the woods from my Kitchen

And I am back. I did not fall off the axis. I was away, in India. I have missed you all like crazy.

India rocked. I had an absolute blast. I hardly could log in from there, partly due to merry-making, partly due to constant travelling, but a large part, due to catching up with family and friends that left little time for socializing online.

The Gorgeous South City Mall, Kolkata

The Gorgeous South City Mall, Kolkata

There was so much to do, so much to see and so many people to meet. Some of my favorite people from my childhood – it was painful to see them totally altered beyond recognition with age. Others were kids who were mere toddlers when I last saw them, and now were college going young men and women.

DSC06759

One thing I realized – I am pathetic at clicking pictures. I missed so many opportunities to click that it’s unbelievable. Still I got some great shots. Look at the one below – two blacksmiths, hammering away to mould iron. Look closely. Can you figure out what’s different about this picture of two people working?

Depiction of Village life in 18th century India

Depiction of Village life in 18th century India

Beautifully crafted sculptures, these. These miniature models of people and villages make a very interesting sight at Belur Math museum, Kolkata.

Then I visited the famous temple of Dhakhineshwar, Kolkata. I went all traditional of course. Sitting on the banks of Ganga river, this 19th century temple is an unbelievably peaceful place.

IMG-20121213-00414

The very beautiful Dhakhineshwar Temple, Kolkata

Amazing Indian Railways at its best.

Amazing Indian Railways at its best.

Museum of Science and Technology at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur,

Meeting Gandhiji at Freedom Movement Museum at IIT, Kharagpur

Meeting Gandhiji at Freedom Movement Museum at IIT, Kharagpur

Look at that cake. It is Pineapple Whipped Cream cake, custom made. And it was all mine on my birthday. Yummm!!!!!!

Pineapple cream cake

Pineapple cream cake

I also want to thank ALL my Guest posters who held fort during my 45 days absence (I owe all of you tons of hugs and blog love ). My dear readers, if you have missed out on any of their absolutely outstanding postings, do check them out.

One Guest Poster I specifically need to thank is Helene, from Masala Herb. During the last leg of my trip, I got so busy that I could not log in at all, and I missed giving her an intro. That bothered me to no end. So I must rectify that.

Who is Helene? She is a remarkable blogger from Austria of French decent who now calls Goa, India, her home. Married to an Indian guy, what amazes me is her talent to adapt to her immediate environment and cook authentic food. Coming from India myself, I know it could not have been easy for her. Food from Western Ghats of India is as different from Central European food as chalk is from Cheese.  Do check her delicious family cookie she baked for my blog on Christmas.

Wishing you all a spectacular 2013. Happy Blogging!!!!

20 comments for “Happy New Year!!!!

1. January 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

4 weeks of absolute bliss with you. How I miss that.
    Antara recently posted..If I could find a souvenirMy Profile

• January 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

It was bliss, and for me, it was a total dream sequence. I have to pinch myself to believe it.I truly had the time of my life.
      Minnie recently posted..Happy New Year!!!!My Profile

2. January 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. 45 Days is a great break. How wonderful to have had the opportunity to catch up with people you hadn’t seen in a long time. Welcome back and Happy New Year xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..2012 – The way it was on Hotly SpicedMy Profile

• January 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Thanks Charlie!! Looking forward to see more of your fab posts :)
      Minnie recently posted..Happy New Year!!!!My Profile

3. January 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM

welcome bck minnie

u had wonderful 45 days and hope ur mom is better

missed u but again welcome back with a bang
    meena recently posted..Vadakari Snc challenge 4My Profile

• January 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Thank you so so much Meena! Happy New Year :) It was a 30 day trip, but close to 45 days of Blog leave. Enjoyed every moment, barring first few which were spent in anxiety of my Mom’s surgery. That went really well, so everything afterwards was awesome.

4. January 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Happy New Year to you too, and it’s nice that you had such a lovely holiday. I have relatives I only see every few years and it’s really difficult to see the changes, particularly when they are very old. And it’s always so sad leaving, not knowing when you’ll be back.
    Happy blogging for 2013.
    Eva Taylor recently posted..A little sojourn to Niagara-on-the-Lake, OntarioMy Profile

5. January 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

That were long holidays, the only proper ones :) Happy New Year!
    Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today recently posted..Semolina with jamMy Profile

• January 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Thank you so much!!!Happy New Year to you too!

6. January 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

That’s so awesome that you were able to visit India. Sounds like an amazing trip! So glad I popped over to visit you again. I truly appreciate all the kind words of encouragement you always share. Wishing you a wonderful and blessed New Year! :) Kelly

• January 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Thanks Kelly!! I did have a fab time. Happy New year to you too!!
      Minnie recently posted..Happy New Year!!!!My Profile

7. January 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

who says you are not a good photographer? you are a professional photographer!! these are some beautifully taken photographs! belated birthday wishes and have a great year ahead!!

• January 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM

You know just the thing to say :) It’s great to be back. Happy New year again!!!
      Minnie recently posted..Happy New Year!!!!My Profile

8. January 5, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Minnie, you’ve been so busy! Some great shots there and I love the look of that pineapple cake too! :D
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Easy Eggnog PikeletsMy Profile

9. January 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Welcome back :)
    I am happy you had a great trip back home. Thank you for sharing those pictures with us :)
    Sawsan @chef in disguise recently posted..Homemade garlic mushroom soupMy Profile

• January 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Thanks Sawsan!!! Happy New year to you too!

10. January 8, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Hey Welcome back and Happy New Year. Nice cliks of India. Missing so much , don’t know when I wiill be able to go there again.

• January 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Thanks so much!!! Happy New year :) I miss it already.

11. January 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Looks like you had a fabulous time – So glad you had that beautiful birthday cake and you’re back here for us to enjoy :-)
    CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Not Tuna Salad & Tofu Press Review/GiveawayMy Profile

• January 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM