Lazy winter days

Fish fry1

I so apologize for MIA for so many days after my last post. I haven’t been busy. I haven’t been sick. I haven’t had guests. I haven’t been cleaning. I have been cooking (but clicking no pictures).

I have been lazy. There, I said it.

I know, its not good for my blog. I have been drilled about that from my numerous friends who also happen to be awesome bloggers themselves. But the truth is, I have been awfully, stinkingly, depressingly, shamelessly lazy all of last week. The temperatures plummeted to where we could be packaged as frozen foods were there any cannibals around, and then steadily rose to where the wind did not melt your cheeks – just.

And that is my sorry excuse for being lazy. I got up, packed off my men -little and big-  to wherever they were headed to, fed and walked the dogs, and dived in under the covers on my bed to snuggle and read. Or talk on phone. Or surf net for no good reason. I resurfaced in the afternoon to look after my brood of men and animals, and walked through the motions of cooking and cleaning before diving back in. B-r-rrrrrrr.

These aimless searches did yield some great results. Like I found this site which tells you at least 100 different ways to tie a scarf. Check it out:

Some of the styles that I loved:

Half-Bow Epaulette    Muffler II       Fancy Braid

(I haven’t been paid or been asked to promote this site. I genuinely wanted to share something fun with all my readers and know this would be useful to all the scarf lovers out there.)

I got interested in how one can sell on Amazon. It is very interesting, and as I discover more about it, I will let you guys know :)

So what did I do? I cooked a few things. One of them is this fabulous fish dish that my FIL told me to. It’s his recipe. As I said, I have been too lazy to use my own brain.

Fish fry2

This is fairly easy to cook, and tastes really yumm. It can eaten as an appetizer, but I found it fantastic on a bed of jeera rice.

fish fry3

fish fry4

'Besan' Fish Fry and Jeera Rice

• 4 whole fish or fish fillets (Trout, Tilapia)
  • 1 cup besan (gram/chick pea flour)
  • ½ cup grated onions
  • ¼ cup yogurt
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 Thai chilies chopped
  • ½ tsp turmeric powder plus another half tsp for marination
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tbsp juice of fresh lemon
  • Oil to fry the fish
For Jeera Rice
  • 2 cup long grained Basmati rice
  • 2 tsp olive/vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar (optional)
  • 3-3/4 cup water
  1. Marinade the fish pieces in salt and turmeric for 10-15 minutes
  2. Heat oil till smoking and lightly fry the fish pieces till they look very light brown on both sides.
Besan paste:
  1. Mix besan, yogurt, onions, red chili powder, chopped Thai chilies and salt into a smooth paste
For the fish fry:
  1. Dip the lightly fried fish in the besan paste
  2. Fry in hot oil till golden.
  3. Serve hot.
Jeera Rice
  1. Wash the rice well, and drain equally well
  2. In a dutch oven, heat oil
  3. Season with cumin seeds
  4. When they start crackling, add rice
  5. Stir fry the rice for 1 minute. Stir gently, but constantly, else it will stick to the pan
  6. Now add water.
  7. Add salt and sugar
  8. Bring to a boil, and lower the flame to a low.
  9. Cover the pan, leaving a partial opening
  10. Cook for 10-12 minutes, till the rice is done.
  11. Cover for another 10 minutes. The rice should be fluffy and nice.
  12. Serve immediately

26 comments for “Lazy winter days

1. January 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Have I told you lately how much I love you? You tell it like it is and that is worth heaps to me. We ALL just get tired and need to charge our batteries. (or maybe it’s just you and me but honestly, that’s okay too.)

Could you please do me a favor and edit your recipe and re-save it and see if your title shows up? Your title on this recipe fell off.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..How to Peel a Kiwi FruitMy Profile

• January 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM

You are a heart!! I did what you said, and it’s up now.

Hugs!!!

2. Ali
    January 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I have been feeling incredibly lazy with my blogging too, lately. Almost to the point where I am now having trouble getting back into it! But, slowly and surely I will! We all need time off, and this time of year is as good as any :)
    Love the look of that fish recipe, it looks delicious!
    Ali recently posted..Steak with chilli and tomato salsa, served with mashed potato with pancetta and a garden saladMy Profile

• January 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I know what you mean…..it’s so easy to simply slide off the slope. Thanks so much!!!

3. January 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

You and me both sister! I have not wanted to leave my covers. It’s been so cold here too and today it was cold, gray and snowy. I too have not cooked or blogged…I took the easy way out and posted some pics :). I can’t seem to get going.
    The fried fish looks great…anything dipped in besan is a winner in my books!

Hope your motivation returns soon!

Nazneen xx

• January 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

lol lol lol!!!! Funny you said it, I have always thought we are quite alike, ha ha ha!! I hope you find your motivation soon too!!!

4. January 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM

i guess, i won’t be a vegetarian for a long time if i continue to read your blog :D. this one looks yum!!!

that scarf thing is interesting!!

• January 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Please don’t be. I would have a VERY hard time if we ever decide to have a meal together, which might happen someday when I am visiting India next.

5. January 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

As I was nurtured in a home of fish and rice, this makes me smile fondly. I will have to give yours a try =)
    The Squishy Monster recently posted..Weekend Smiles …My Profile

• January 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Thanks so much!!!! Let me know how it turns out.

6. January 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM

We love fish at home and this looks like an ideal meal for all of us! Don’t worry. When you don’t feel like posting, you don’t have to force yourself. Your posts will be a great material when you want to do it. :) Glad you are back!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Easy Tuna Bowl (Tekkadon) 鉄火丼My Profile

7. January 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

that’s what we do too. Hibernating I guess in this weather. still we have to put food on table. Lovely dish and don’t temp me too much.
    kitchen queen recently posted..Besan Chilla Sandwich / Gram Flour pancakesMy Profile

8. January 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I’m sort of reluctantly getting back into the swing of work but not really wanting to! :P I have lots of chick pea flour so thanks for this recipe Minnie!
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Bourke Street Bakery At Night, Potts PointMy Profile

• January 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Lorraine, I would give my right arm (ok not my right arm, but you get the gist:D) to be able to do a post everyday like you do. I hope you like this recipe :)

9. January 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If not posting for a week is laziness then I come on top because I only post when I get time, but I try to post it once for sure.
    We love fish at home and this sound easy to make and sounds incredibly yummy!
    Balvinder recently posted..Soothing DrinkMy Profile

• January 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Awww thanks so much!!!

10. January 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Fortunately, I had done a few posts in advance and now I can pretend to be on the ball, but in reality, I’ve got my feet up and I’m watching TV on my iPad.
    This fish looks and sounds delicious.
    Eva Taylor recently posted..German Purple Cabbage SlawMy Profile

• January 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I have been thinking of doing that for so long now….but I never seem to be able to. Now I should start that….sooner than later!

11. January 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I never thought of covering fish with besan. I just discovered besan some 2 years ago and since nobody ever did that in my surrounded and because it never occurred to me, I didn’t think that way. Brilliant Minnie!

I don’t think so you were lazy. I would call that a time off. You have your blog, your blog is a way to express so you are an artists, artists nead some time off or else no inspiration. right?
    Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb recently posted..Comment on Guar Bean Bhaji – Cluster Bean (Gaur) by kumarMy Profile

• January 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

What a lovely way to put it Helene. I just love you for being so sweet!

12. January 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM

That looks like a really yummy dish! haha.. I don’t blame you at all!! Yes, sometimes we need to take a break from our hobby! Being lazy is a very common blogging phenomenon I guess!
    Sammie recently posted..Kue Lapis Surabaya Moka – Spiku MokaMy Profile

• January 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Hi Sammie, thanks so much for your lovely words. I guess I don’t feel as bad any more :p

13. January 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM

This dish looks so good!! I think we all deserve to be lazy sometimes :)
    Lilly Sue recently posted..A Birthday SurpriseMy Profile

• January 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Thanks so much, and I extend you a warm welcome to my blog :)

14. January 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I think I had this fish or one that looks lot like this. In a marriage at Kolkata. It was fried with besan. Fish when fried I am for it not otherwise. ;-)

• January 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

hahahaha!! Chalo, you ate fish.