Microwave Coffee Cappuccino style – just a minute

coffee nice

It’s snowing again. I don’t drink coffee or any other beverage for that matter on a regular basis. But give me a frozen morning, and I will run for that cuppa you bet.

Snow covered house_1

Today, it is frozen. The snow has taken everyone by surprise because when we set out for the school bus this morning, the roads are still dressed in woolly white sheets about 2 inches thick and the bus comes in half  an-hour late.

My 9 yr old is definitely not a happy camper. Right now, we are having a lot of grief over wearing heavy snow jackets. He constantly tries to convince me how regular jackets work just ‘fine’ in snow and he does not need to wear his winter jacket.  I, on the other hand, cajole, scold, order, plead for him to wear that darned thing, especially when it’s freezing outside. At the end, he wears it, because ‘Mom said so’ and she can be quite mean when she is really, really mad.

Battle won, I need to wind down. I feel old, and cold. But I am not giving up. So I microwave myself a frothy cup of coffee.

I love my Colombian and Ethiopian beans, brewed rich and creamy. But for that very quick coffee cup, instant coffee is my best friend.

I am a big fan of froth and like my coffee Cappuccino style. Also, Indians like their coffee in milk, and I am no different. So when you have a coffee mug you love, some whole milk, instant coffee, sugar, microwave and a warm blanket, you have a scene of bliss in just over a minute.

Instant coffee microwaved

Milk in a cup-microwave

sugar

sugar – you need it sometimes

instant coffee

Coffee…..mmnnnn

instant coffee in microwave

Stir stir stir

Instant coffee microwave

Put it back in microwave – seconds away from a steaming cuppa

coffee foam

Look at the froth.

The title though is misleading. It does not take a minute, it takes a little more. But some how, 1 min and 22 seconds do not make for a good headline, so I opt for 1 minute :D

me pardonner?

Microwave Coffee Cappuccino style - just a minute
Recipe type: Beverage

• 1 cup of cold whole milk (colder the better)
  • 1 tsp instant coffee (I use Nescafe House Blend)
  • Sugar to taste
  1. Fill a microwave safe cup with 1 cup of cold milk
  2. Microwave for 40 seconds
  3. Spoon in sugar and coffee
  4. Microwave for another 30 seconds
  5. Sprinkle a few extra beans on top
  6. Microwave for another 10-12 seconds till it foams. Do not let it spill over.
Note: You can microwave a few more seconds if you need your coffee even more hot. Just take breaks after every 8-10 seconds to prevent spills.

So tell me, have you ever had coffee only in milk? Do you like instant coffee or would you only prefer beans that you can brew to perfection?

Linked with:

27 comments for “Microwave Coffee Cappuccino style – just a minute

1. January 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Sounds amazing, unfortunately I don’t have a microwave. There are times when I wish I had it… I need to stick to my italian express. I bought a hazelnuts syrup, so it’s not bad at all :)
    Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today recently posted..Cups with veggies, pesto and mozzarellaMy Profile

• January 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

You could possibly do this in a saucepan too…but Italian express sounds cool. Though I must admit I just cannot do without a microwave….

2. Anitha
    January 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Yummy!! I love your mug and pic of snow is beautiful!!!

• January 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Anitha!!! Hugs :) Thanks sweetheart. We need to catch up!

January 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

What an awesome idea, there is something so perfect about the froth in coffee (though I myself do not drink it!)
    Hope this warmed you to the core!

CCU recently posted..First Summer Ice CreamMy Profile

• January 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Thanks so much Uru! You can make hot chocolate the same way. My kids love it when I serve them cappuccino style hot chocolate, lol!

4. January 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I grew up on instant coffee..well by that I mean in my o level/A level years and at school. They made a fantastic instant frothy coffee at school and I would chug cups down (since prefects got free coffee).
    Since then I have progressed to coffee snobbery and only drink organic, Fair Trade freshly ground beans…with milk..I am Indian too!
    I think cappuccinos are my ultimate favourite food. However,instant coffee will always be special to me!

This looks like fun, quick, drink to give you warmth instantly. Love it!

Nazneen xx
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Chicken SaladMy Profile

• January 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I too had graduated to coffee snoberry, but then I found I was getting addicted. Once you acquire that kind of a taste, it’s hard to give up. Thankfully, I never got into that phase where I must have coffee in the morning, I stopped just before that. This one works out great if you have sudden friends over. All you need are coffee cups, some milk, and instant coffee.

5. January 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

this one looks super cool!! i am more of a tea person but occasionally i drink coffee especially when i am in South India.

loved reading this post. where do you live? it’s snowing there!!!

• January 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Boston. Cold it is!! Try this one, it’s quite fun.

6. January 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I’ve never made coffee like this before but I’m eager to try it. I look at that cold, snowy photo and I’m instantly transported to my youth. :) It’s going to be 100F here today and I could use some coolness.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..How to Peel a Kiwi FruitMy Profile

• January 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

And I could use some heat! lol! Though I must say cold definitely is better in comparison, though it kills to get out of bed in the morning. You grew up in Maine, right? I imagine Maine is even colder…..

7. January 17, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I can’t believe the weather where you are when I am sitting in the heat! I’d love to trade a bit of snow :P
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..The Beauty of Buenos Aires, ArgentinaMy Profile

• January 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Fair trade will it be!!!

8. Barnali
    January 17, 2013 at 4:53 AM

I love that mug….! :D

If this coffee is the same u treated us with at Behala…then definitely this is great. It was so good…ekhuno mone achhe amar.

• January 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Yes, it is the same one, though it didn’t come out as I had wished there, I think because of the difference in milk consistency.

I’ll get a similar cup for you next time :D

9. January 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM

It’s so hard for me to imagine weather like that – it just doesn’t get that cold in Sydney – but we carry on like it does! I love your coffee cups! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..The ATARMy Profile

• January 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

“carry on like it does”…hahahaha! you crack me up!! I love buying different coffee cups and tea cups.

10. January 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM

If you need to keep out from cold, have the Himachali Chai. And in a glass. ;-) Lot of milk, little water, lot of sugar, desi chai patti and boil. :-P

11. January 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I’m not a big fan of instant coffee, but that’s just because I am old enough to remember the really crappy stuff from 30 years ago.
    Love your cup, very cute saying…I will adapt this year…damn another benchmark birthday!
    Eva Taylor recently posted..Ebelskivers! Now that I have your attention, please read onMy Profile

• January 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

They do have some great blends in the market now. They also come in small, dollar something pouches for you to try out. I love that cup too, ha ha ha!

12. January 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Now you have me craving a cup of frothy coffee! What a perfect cup to warm you up for that beautiful snow you have!
    mjskit recently posted..New Mexico Green Chile StewMy Profile

13. January 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Coffee, tea, milk, whatever… as long as it’s hot!
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Edamame with Spicy Pepper and GarlicMy Profile

14. January 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM

for this weather it’s perfect, i think you forget about me, do drop by at my space some times.
    kitchen queen recently posted..Tawa Pulav with Masala PapadMy Profile