Bruschetta with Mushroom sabzi

Mushroom Bruschetta3

It took us 48 hours, exact, from door to door, flying back from India to USA. Kid you not, my kid was whimpering by the end of it.

We stood for over 3 hours at the Kolkata immigration. We then flew for about 6 hours to Dubai.

I was meeting up with two of my best friends from school at Dubai, after 15 years, and I was super excited. We had a 15 hours of layover, and Emirates was paying for a hotel and stopover Visa. ( It seems Emirates offers Visa and Hotel for anyone who has over 6 hours of layover at the Dubai airport. Now that’s an AWESOME airliner). I had calculated that it would possibly take about an hour to get out of immigration, and then maybe a little more time to check into the hotel. Which meant we would still have a good 13 hours to ourselves to catch up with my friends.

The immigration took close to 4 hours. Another 1 hour to wait for the bus to the hotel. Hotel check-in took another good 40 minutes.

Now I realized why Emirates provides for Visa and hotel ONLY if the layover is over 6 hours. By the time I reached a phone to call my friends, I was hungry, cranky and totally exhausted.

While making the phone call, I realized I had one phone number wrong. Obviously, I had noted it down incorrectly. Thankfully, got the other one right. Honestly though, at that point, all I wanted was a warm shower, some food and water – lots and lots of it.

I did get to meet my best friend from school. We go back a long way. She and I went to school together, and then her husband and both of us went to same college. We had spent some great time there, and there were lot of memories to share, laugh on and be nostalgic about.

I shopped for some gold with the help of my friends, and that itself was one kind of adventure. It was so exciting. The jewelry collection in the shop I went to had jaw dropping collection of designs. But what amazed me was the number of people there wanting to buy gold. It was a lot like the crowd one sees on Thanksgiving sale in US, the difference being this was no sale, and this is what it is like at the Gold Markets in Dubai.

Nandita n me

I selected a couple of pieces and proceeded to pay for it. And almost couldn’t. My cards failed. Two of them. Just imagine my embarrassment. The guy ventured to tell me that maybe there were not sufficient funds…..I was so mad. Because I knew exactly what had happened.

My banks here in US decided to block my debit cards as a fraud alert. What happened was they let me make the first purchase, and then blocked it completely. With one card, I bought a water bottle while checking in at the hotel in Dubai (remember I was dying of hunger and thirst?). A measly two dollars and 25 cents. With the other, the guy at the Gold shop charged me the wrong amount for a very small sum, and then it wouldn’t go through for the rest of the money.

I still had one credit card still left with me, and I literally threatened the guy to make the swipe in one go, else……thankfully it went through.

Mushroom Bruschetta2

My friend told me that Dubai looks like a bejeweled queen at night  from the skies. I had my camera ready.

After 5 hours of thrilling, sweet, but  unrequited meeting with old friends, jewelry shopping and awesome homemade food, we headed out for the airport. Once we checked in, Visa expired. That’s when I found out the flight was 3 hours late. We had 14 more hours of flight still left to fly. My son leaned back on the chair at the Departure Gate. I asked him to take a nap. “I am not sleepy!’ declared he. And promptly fell asleep.

We spent the entire night at the airport. Dubai airport is beautiful, though I think they could improve on their friendliness quotient. No complaints though. Emirates is possibly one of the best airliners that I have traveled with, and their Visa program at Dubai is fabulous. Now that I know it takes a hell lot of time to get out of the airport, I am going to make plans in advance accordingly.

We boarded the flight at 4 am in the morning. Being with a young kid meant I could go ahead and take my seat. We both boarded, found our seats, shelved our luggage and sat down. Within minutes, we were both fast asleep, all thoughts of looking at Dubai from the skies forgotten.

Next time maybe.

Mushroom Bruchetta

It’s at times like this, when you are hungry, in a long line, and want something quick and delicious to kill the hunger and boredom. Something like this lovely Bruschetta that I discovered in one of roads to short cuts that I often take in my kitchen.

Bruschetta with Mashroom Sabzi

Bruschetta with Mushroom sabzi
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

• 2 pieces of Scala or any other Bread of your choice
  • 2 tbsp grated Mozzarella Cheese
  • Mushroom Sabzi
  • !For the Mushroom Sabzi:
  • 2 cups Portabella Mushrooms cubed
  • ½ cup onions sliced
  • 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • ½ tsp coriander powder
  • ½ tsp red chilli powder
  • ½ cup tomatoes cubed
  • ½ tsp garam masala powder
  • a dash of fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1 tsp yogurt
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
  • 1 tbsp Oil
Making the Mushroom Sabzi:
  1. Saute Onions in oil in a pan till translucent.
  2. Fry ginger garlic paste and then fry cubed mushrooms till soft
  3. Add all red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
  4. Stir in a spoonful of yogurt and mix well.
  5. Once the oil starts leaving sides, add the tomatoes.
  6. Stir on high heat till the tomatoes look soft.
  7. Finish with coriander leaves.
To Assemble the Bruschetta:
  1. Spoon in the mushroom sabzi liberally over a piece of Scala Bread.
  2. Sprinkle Mozarella cheese
  3. Toast the bread in Toaster Oven till the cheese is all melted. You can also toast it on a griddle.
  4. Serve hot.
Note: You can serve the sabzi with chapatti or Naan as well.

32 comments for “Bruschetta with Mushroom sabzi

1. January 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I love flying Emirates – it would be my first choice and then JAL. I think it’s fantastic that you got to meet old friends. What a wonderful experience especially after the holiday in India. Welcome back!

I’ve never had mushroom sabzi but I think I’d be happy living on it. :)
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..How to Peel a Kiwi FruitMy Profile

• January 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I loved the flight. Their aircrafts are new (the ceilings even have stars in them, lol!)

This mushroom sabzi is quite handy. Eat it breat, rice, roti or naan. I love it.

2. January 22, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I heard that Emirates is really nice airline! How wonderful to meet your friends but 48 hours of traveling time is tiring! Welcome back! I hope you had a great time in India! Now my friend has just arrived in Kolkata – she’s a photographer and excited to take pictures there. :)
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Vegetable Tempura 野菜の天ぷらMy Profile

• January 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Yes, it was tiring…the flight time itself was not that bad. But the layover time was enormous. But if the layover is like that of Dubai, I wouldn’t really mind having it.

3. January 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Emirates is my second favourite airline and I love the stopover at Dubai airport but luckily have never had a 48 hour journey. It’s great that your son was able to keep up with the long journey and shopping too!!

The bruschetta with the mushroom subzi sounds like the perfect comfort food.

Mina
    Mina Joshi recently posted..Vaghareli Khichedi (Spicy lentils and rice)My Profile

• January 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM

So great to see you here. Which one is your first? I am very fortunate, he was phenomenal during this trip.

January 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Haha that is one insanely long travelling trip, though it did seem to have its perks :)
    Your son sounds just like me, whenever I say ‘I’m not tired’ – BAM I get hit by a wave of fatigue :P
    Your bruschetta looks delicious all melty and flavoursome!

CCU recently posted..ShortcutsMy Profile

• January 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM

LOL!!! Thanks Uru :p

5. January 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Oh wow, what a long time travelling! You poor things and I’ve had the same happen with my credit cards-it’s so embarrassing isn’t it?
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..The Animal, NewtownMy Profile

• January 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Truly!!! Lol!! It has happened to me earlier, so I had actually had called the Bank ahead to leave a note that I would be travelling AND using my card abroad. Seems like I had to call the Bank on each card INDIVIDUALLY…..grrrrrrr!!!!

6. January 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Oooo this Bruschetta recipe is going to come in handy, seeing how I am having to spend some bit of my time cooking. Sidenote – not complaining…I don’t cook that bad (narcissism alert).
    Your trip was honestly one of the most eventful ones. I mean seriously, the number of things that managed to happen is ridiculous (and really funny in hindsight).
    Love you and miss you!

• January 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM

On the hindsight, I do feel a little like one Alice who fell into a Wonderland, lol!!

It’s not narcissism. It’s called confidence.

7. January 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I can’t believe the dramas. What an ordeal. All that time to get through immigration? What a disgrace. Mind you, when you live down under, it seems anywhere you go it takes that about that length of time to get anywhere! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..The Young AdultMy Profile

• January 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I counted. We stood in line for immigration for exactly 9 hours and 40 minutes at 3 different airports in that 48 hours. My poor lil kid….lol!
      Minnie recently posted..Bruschetta with Mushroom sabziMy Profile

8. January 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Emirates is one of the best. I sure don’t miss those long flights, but one thing I remember, they sure used to feed us a lot so the time flew by!
    The mushroom sabzi looks great and a great idea to put it on toast. Yum.

Nazneen
    Nazneen | Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..BBQ Chicken Picnic Loaf ~ Giant CalzoneMy Profile

• January 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I was impressed honestly. Though they did run out of water in the bathroom next morning, lol!!

9. January 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Oof, I do not envy you. I’m the worst traveler. The bruschetta looks lovely, though.
    Kim@Treats & Trinkets recently posted..Strawberry Cake Batter FudgeMy Profile

• January 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Lol! Thanks Kim :)

10. January 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

but weren’t you supposed to meet two friends? did you manage to get the number of the other friend? or you just told him/her later – no, actually the flight didn’t stop in Dubai :D.

but you had fun, yeah.

that food looks great!!!

• January 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

No,I didn’t. I spoke with her later. She was hopping mad as expected, but she is a complete sweetheart. Next time I am going to meet her up properly and hopefully stay with her too if she can forgive my transgression this time around.

11. January 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I love bruschetta, and this recipe looks so delicious. I love that it’s easy to make. Sounds like you had a great time in Dubai. I hope to get over there someday. Too bad you missed the lights. I probably would’ve fallen asleep too. Haha.

• January 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Thanks so much Colynn :p

12. January 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

What a long journey!
    We were once held up for 4 hours in the airport with the kids and it is NOT fun!
    I love bruschetta and mushrooms so this is a win win recipe for me
    Sawsan @chef in disguise recently posted..Spinach pastry triangle (Fatayer sabanekh )My Profile

13. January 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

What a trip and with a little one. Sounds like you handled it well. I’ve never made mushroom sabzi and I love making new things. I’ll let you know how it goes.
    The Healthy Goddess recently posted..Quinoa, Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Spiced Up with MerkenMy Profile

14. January 25, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Love the color combination. Your photos are beautiful.Thanks for sharing.
    wakanetwork recently posted..Why Eat BananasMy Profile

15. January 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Minnie,
    Travelling can be so tiring and stressgful. I’m glad you made it home safely!
    I’ve never heard of mushroom sabzi, but it sounds delish.
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Sweet Almond Biscotti with Chocolate ChipsMy Profile

16. January 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM

such a sweetly written account of your trip. the bruschetta looks super satisfying (although i would need 6 more!) :-)
    kale recently posted..brussels sprouts and a trip to the dentistMy Profile

17. January 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Bruschetta looks so tempting. I know for us to travel this far it’s very tiring, that’s why we take non stop flight, 14 hours and you are done.
    kitchen queen recently posted..Tawa Pulav with Masala PapadMy Profile

18. CJ
    January 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Wow … What a series of issues … Bet you’re glad to be home :)

• February 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Thanks CJ :) I hope you are recovering well too :)

19. February 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Sounds like you had quite the adventure! Love the recipe! Sounds great! Ironically, I’ve been buying lots of mushrooms lately!
    Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet recently posted..Easy Salted Butterscotch PopcornMy Profile

• February 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM