Kalakand – a decadent Indian sweet made of Ricotta Cheese

Winter holidays as a child meant visits to the extended family and a never-ending brouhaha with cousins and their friends, who of course would also become our friends by default for that short duration.

Easy Microwave Kalakand

It also meant a time where we played ridiculous games and pranks. One such incident I remember was a prank that my little sister had learnt from her friends. It was called a ‘potato chop’. I don’t know why it was called so, because it had nothing to do with potatoes. It was the most asinine act in every way one saw it.

kalakand2

It consisted of the pranksters asking their target ” Do you want a potato chop’? And the intended target, drooling over visions of a real potato chop, would eagerly acquiesce by a vigorous nodding of  head in affirmation.

On that cue, the prankster would give one tight slap on the cheek, and shout ‘potato chop‘ with glee. The target, dumbfounded, would start howling in consternation while the co-conspirators (who had already been subjected to a taste of aforementioned potato chop no doubt) around would double up with long shudders of hilarity. Thus served, the newest entry into the club would join the existing gang to go search for a new victim.

kalakand6

My sister was about 6 or 7 years of age at that time, but had a  brutal hand for a girl so young. Her ‘potato-chop’ to one of my more delicate cousins had left a bruised, black and a swollen eye, and two set of very unhappy and very angry parents.

The ‘consequences’ that followed would have had the entire force of Child Services down on their unsuspecting heads had it been in US, but suffice to say, that particular prank never saw the light of the day again, and is now a constant source of mirth, laughter and nostalgia to whoever was party to that abominable prank.

kalakand3

Of course, such ‘consequences’ were always followed by loads of mollycoddling and indulgent feeding. Sweets were the biggest part of that said indulgence. When it came to sweets, there was always this mind-boggling array of confections to choose from whose fresh melting taste lingered long after that last morsel had been licked clean.

Easy recipe for Kalakand

Kalakand

“Kalakand’ is a traditional Bengali sweet dish that is made up of ‘chaana’ or homemade cheese that is kneaded fine. It’s a long process, and often involves long arduous periods of kneading to achieve perfection.

Then I heard of a Ricotta cheese version of this desert. I was skeptical to say the least. Then a dear friend of mine taught me how to make it.

I did, and it came out tasting delicious. And so easy too!

Process 1 Process2 Process3 process4 process5 process6 kalakand4

It is also the Pistachio week for the Power Food blogging group.  I am a part of this exceptionally talented blogging group that showcases a Power Food each week. The Power Food ingredient each week is based on the book Power Foods: 150 delicious recipes with 38 Healthiest Ingredients from the editors of Martha Stewart’s Whole Living Magazine. It’s amazing the kind of food that fall under the purview of Power Foods. You can find these ingredients in everyday kitchen. They provide an outrageous amount of nutrients – fiber, vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, minerals, phytonutrients, fatty acids – and anything else that you can think of that aids in promoting good health and healthy food habits.

For more amazing recipes and information on Pistachio this week, do check out my fellow group members:  Alanna – Kitchen Parade Veggie Adventure – Alyce – More Time at the Table, Ansh – Spice Roots,  Casey –SweetSav Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living, Jill – Saucy Cooks Martha – Simple-Nourished-Living, Mireya- My Healthy Eating Habits

Kalakand - a decadent Indian sweet made of Ricotta Cheese
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Indian
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

A decadent delicacy made with ricotta.
  • 1 15 oz tub of Ricotta cheese
  • 1 12 oz can of condensed milk
  • ¼ tsp cardamom powder
  • ¼ cup ground pistachios
  1. In a microwave safe dish, combine Ricotta and condensed milk until smooth, without any lumps.
  2. Microwave, uncovered, on High for 3-5 minutes (keep an eye, it should not boil over)
  3. Take out and mix well.
  4. Put it back in the microwave and cook covered on High for 3 more minutes.
  5. Mix well again, scrapping the sides
  6. Microwave again, this time for 2 minutes, keeping an eye on it so that it does not fall over.
  7. Mix. Add cardamom powder.
  8. Now return to the microwave, and cook uncovered for 6 minutes, mixing well every 2 minutes (the mixing break is very important).
  9. The mixture should start looking less smooth and more granular
  10. Adjust the cooking time according to the microwave. You might need to cook for 2 to 4 more minutes, mixing every 1 minute or so.
  11. The consistency should be thick, creamy but granular.
  12. Transfer into a rectangular dish, and press down.
  13. Sprinkle crushed pistachios on top, and chill for one hour.
  14. Cut into squares and serve.

28 comments for “Kalakand – a decadent Indian sweet made of Ricotta Cheese

February 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

That does look incredibly gorgeous my friend, I would love to try it 😀
    And potato chop sounds painful!

CCU recently posted..World Nutella Day 2013My Profile

• February 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Thanks so much Uru 🙂

2. February 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I don’t like much mithai, but I do like kalakand. I will have to try making this, I think my hubby would love it.
    Potato chop? Sounds brutal.

Nazneen xx
    Nazneen | Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Strawberry Pineapple FoolMy Profile

• February 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Yes, do try. I love making this.

It was quite brutal, though for some reason the ones who played it found it quite hilarious. Maybe because I was older, I never understood it, lol!

3. February 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Hoi minnie u have vanished
    i had heard of this kalakand one of my friend told me about it bt i have never tasted it before

i think high time i try making that one

looks like malai peda from here

hope u r doin fine
    and potato chop hehe well now that u mention we also had a similar game bt i dont recall the name of it now
    meena recently posted..Eggless Marble cake..My Profile

• February 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I am here, lol! I am just a bit slow on the take. Too much going on in and around the house. Nothing too happening, but time consuming. The latest in the line is the blizzard. But I am slowing making my way back. Yes, it is similar to Malai peda, but tastes vastly different. Malai peda is more saffrony and grainy. This one is soft, gooey and cheesy.

4. Anuradha
    February 12, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Kalakand is one of my favourite…. Will definitely try out this… Thanks for sharing this…. 🙂

• February 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Thanks Anu 🙂

5. February 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM

My kids would go crazy over this. They both love cheese and they are crazy about anything made with condensed milk.
    We generally take it easy on sweets, but there is always the occasional exception to the rule.
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Turkey Pâté with Mushrooms and PistachiosMy Profile

• February 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Awesome! Do try it and let me know how it turned out :))

6. February 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I thought from the name that it sounded Nordic but indeed it isn’t! I haven’t seen this item before (and I adore Indian sweets!) so thanks for introducing it to us 🙂
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Bacon Roses For Valentines Day!My Profile

• February 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Nordic…..I wouldn’t have thought! I’m afraid it’s very Indian to be general and Bengali to be specific 🙂 I hope you like it 🙂

7. February 12, 2013 at 3:01 AM

I remember this potato chop prank, we were then in class 8-9th. They would ask “Toffee khayega” and then if yes, a slap. Some boys of our village used to play. Then one day a boy got injured. The slap fell upon his ear. After that incident it stopped. The boys got really scared as elders told all kids that now police would arrest them. No one played the prank anymore.
    Bhaskar recently posted..The CrossroadsMy Profile

• February 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM

hehehhee!! Sounds quite familiar to this one.

8. February 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Oh dear! A prank gone wrong. I love the look of these Indian sweets xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Penrith PanthersMy Profile

• February 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Try eating them too, they are really good Charlie ;p

9. February 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Oh dear!! Now that is a sinful thing I really really really want to eat 😀 well done, Minnie!
    Ansh | Spiceroots recently posted..Kale and Pistachio Pasta SaladMy Profile

• February 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Thanks so much Ansh 🙂

10. February 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM

This is one sweet that I always make on Diwali,with the same ingredients but on stove top. Will give it a try in microwave.
    Balvinder recently posted..Crispy Walnut And Oat ThinsMy Profile

• February 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Thanks so much Balvinder!!! Just checked your thins….amazing post, that one.

11. Ali
    February 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM

These look great! I love pistachios 🙂
    Ali recently posted..Aussie Summer Photo ChallengeMy Profile

• February 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Thanks a ton!!!Me too 🙂

12. February 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM

i think i played similar stupid games. given a chance, i would like to apologize to everyone i slapped.

didn’t know preparing kalakand would be so simple. may be even i can try this.

• February 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

It seems more people played this prank than I thought would, lol! It could not have been that bad then. Funny enough, it’s more brutal to those who saw it rather than the ones who gave or received it. Go figure!

13. February 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM

This sounds like a heavenly treat Minnie
    I think my kids would love this!
    Sawsan @chef in disguise recently posted..Chicken kebab and Aleppo mortadellaMy Profile

14. February 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

This looks great & I love pistachios … Yum 🙂
    CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Hot Chocolate Cookies with CayenneMy Profile

15. Bryan
    April 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM

Just made this recipe and it’s every bit as good as what I had while traveling through India! I’m going to try using panner next time in place of ricotta. Also, a slightly smaller rectangular dish so the squares are thicker. Thanks for posting this, I love it!