Sardine croquettes with Flax seed

Sardine fish croquettes

This post is all about Power Foods.  I am a part of this exceptionally talented blogging group that showcases a Power Food each week. The Power Food ingredient each week is based on the book Power Foods: 150 delicious recipes with 38 Healthiest Ingredients from the editors of Martha Stewart’s Whole Living Magazine. It’s amazing the kind of food that fall under the purview of Power Foods. You can find these ingredients in everyday kitchen. They provide an outrageous amount of nutrients – fiber, vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, minerals, phytonutrients, fatty acids – and anything else that you can think of that aids in promoting good health and healthy food habits.

This week’s Power Foods is Flax seed. I wish I could wax eloquent about this without gagging. Yes, Flax seed, meal or in any other form, is one ingredient that truly makes me gag. I can’t really have it without feeling like the food will fall out of my mouth. Yet we all know that if there is one ingredient that will keep the machinations of your heart from clogging and help it purr along without hiccups, it is Flax seed.

fish croquettes

So I devised a way that really banishes its weird taste and makes me savor each bite instead is to add it to fish croquettes. That too sardines, no less. What comes out is a delicious dish that disguises the flavors of flax seed without compromising its nutrition quotient. OK, I admit, maybe it compromises a lot little, lol!. At the end of the day, it’s fried food, and if I say it’s healthy, then it would be like ordering diet coke at McDonald with a Big Mac in all its glory and gloat about being healthy ;p However, a sardine and flax seed combo is always good even when deep fried, and you will have your kids licking their fingers in no time.

Maybe some day I will also acquire a taste for flax seeds.

IMG_9151

Sardine croquettes with Flax seed
Recipe type: Appitizer
Cuisine: Indian

Makes 6 fish croquettes.
  • 2 cans of 4 oz Sardines
  • 3 med size potatoes boiled and mashed fine
  • 1 cup onions diced fine
  • 2 tsp ginger minced
  • 2 Thai green chilies chopped (optional)
  • ½ cup cilantro leaves chopped fine (optional)
  • 1 tsp red chili powder/ paprika
  • 2 cup Plain bread crumbs
  • ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 tbsp Flax seed meal
  • 2 eggs whisked
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • Oil for deep frying.
  1. Mash potatoes and knead with half of onions, ginger, salt, pepper and all of red chili powder.
  2. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil, and fry rest of onions and ginger.
  3. Add fish and saute well for 2 minutes.
  4. Transfer to a dish and let it cool.
  5. Combine the mashed potato with the fish till it makes a makes a nice soft dough.
  6. Add cilantro and green chopped chilies and salt.
  7. Lay out the bread crumbs on a flat plate and the eggs in a deep dish so that the fish cakes can be dipped in.
  8. Divide the fish-potato mixture roughly into six portions and shape into flat oval-shaped cakes by pressing them on the palm of one hand with your fingers of the other. You can grease your palm with oil to prevent the cakes from sticking.
  9. Dip them in eggs.
  10. Coat them in the break crumbs, flax-seed and panko mixture.
  11. Arrange them on a plate and refrigerate the cakes for 10 minutes.
  12. Take them out, roll them again in eggs, and coat them in crumbs.
  13. Lightly dust them to remove excess crumbs.
  14. Place them back in the fridge for 15 more minutes.
  15. Deep fry the croquettes and serve with onion wedges and ketchup.

For more amazing recipes and information on Flax seeds this week, do check out my fellow group members:  Alanna – Kitchen Parade Veggie Adventure – Alyce – More Time at the Table, Ansh – Spice Roots,  Casey –SweetSav Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living, Jill – Saucy Cooks Martha – Simple-Nourished-Living, Mireya- My Healthy Eating Habits

19 comments for “Sardine croquettes with Flax seed

1. February 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Haha! I actually don’t mind flax seed. I can sprinkle it on stuff and it’s tolerable.
    These fish croquettes however, would make downing flax seed a lot easier!

Nazneen
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..White Whole Wheat RollsMy Profile

• February 28, 2013 at 10:42 PM

hehehe! I have tried a lot of sprinkling, and a lot of food went down the drain that way. Yuck! Still, I will try a couple I saw at the fellow Power Food bloggers and hopefully something will stick.

2. February 28, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Hehe you are too cute! I don’t mind the taste of flax seeds though! :P
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Raincoast Crisps – Daring Bakers February 2013My Profile

• February 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Lucky you!!! hehe!

3. February 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

hahaha, that’s quite innovative! lovely recipe!! no story this time :(?

• February 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM

haha! I don’t know about innovation, but it does make it somewhat palatable. And thanks so much for your faith in my stories. Thanks to you, at least I know I have one person who reads them ;p

4. February 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Minnie, what a genius! I don’t like the flavor either so I hid the flavor in cocoa granola. But using it as a breading is a great idea. I’ll have to remember that next time use it.
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Roasted Vegetables with Pepitas and Minted Curry Yogurt SauceMy Profile

• March 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Thanks Mireya!! This was possibly the toughest Power Food ingredient, lol!!

5. March 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM

What a genious idea. I am like you, I eat them coz they are good for the body, but don’t really like them too much.
    Ansh recently posted..Couscous Salad with Sauteed Greens & Pumpkin SeedsMy Profile

6. March 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Cool idea. I like flax, but I know a lot of folks don’t. I DOOOOO love sardines!
    Happy Sunday; I’m just getting around to everyone’s blog finally.
    Alyce Morgan recently posted..38 Power Foods, Week 33, Pumpkin Seeds — Acorn Squash Salad with Pumpkin Seeds and Cumin VinaigretteMy Profile

7. March 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I used to see a naturopath who wanted me to take tablespoons of flaxseed oil every day. She said I wouldn’t notice it if I had it in juice. What…I wouldn’t see the oil swimming on top of the juice??? I’m glad you found a good way to disguise it xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..In My Kitchen, March 2013My Profile

• March 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

hahahahaha!! You are so funny!!!!

8. March 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I’ve never used flax seed before yet, although I see it often on other food blogs. I love sardine and I like how you made into croquettes!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Inari Age 稲荷揚げMy Profile

• March 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM

The jury is still out on how much Flax seed I will use in future, but these sardines came out tasting awesome.

9. March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Flaxseed has to be one of those Marmite moments in that you either like it or really hate it. I can take it ok as it has a sort of almond taste to it but this sure looks a good way to get your flax and some great tasting food as well….works for me
    Geoff Magee recently posted..Flaxseed Oil vs Fish Oil – Which Is Best?My Profile

• Lois
      October 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I use flaxseed meal (from the frig or freezer) often….its sardines I gag on! So I hope this recipe will help me with the sardine challenge….I hope I can cook them like pancakes because I never, ever eat fried foods! Thanks for the tip!