Kauraishootir Ghoogni

Ghoogni5

At dentist office, the doctor informed me that she would have to extract a broken tooth out of my younger son’s mouth . The rest of the broken half was sitting in a big cavity that needed to be removed. A few week’s earlier, he had come to me with broken half of a tooth, and asked me, “would the Tooth Fairy give me just half the money because I can give her only half a tooth?”

The tooth belonged to the lower jaw. Hence, I wasn’t at all surprised at what the good dentist told me. “Yes, I know, he has one broken part in his lower jaw’. The doctor looked confused. “No, this one is in his upper jaw.”

Ghoogni 1

Now it was my turn to look confused. I looked at my son in askance. “Didn’t you tell me your tooth had broken in the lower jaw?”

“Yes, it did,” he replied.

“Then when did the upper one happen?”

He looked at me solemnly from the swanky new dentist bed and informed me,” Few days ago.”

“And what did you do with it? Give it to the Tooth Fairy?”

“No, I swallowed it,” he replied calmly, without missing a beat.

Ghoogni3

I would do a lot to see what my face looked like at that moment. I sure felt like the offending piece of that broken tooth was stuck in my throat somewhere, because the doctor took one look at my horrified expression and offered comfortingly, “Don’t worry, his system will digest it. No harm done.”

I wish my queasy system was soothed as easily.

ghoogni lovely

Kauraishooti (pronounced as kau-raee-shooti) is a Bengali word that means Green peas. The green peas when tossed with boiled potatoes and some spices make for one great dish called ‘ghoogni‘, ideal for breakfast or a midday snack.

Ghoogni7

This is quite a popular dish in Bengali households, and this particular version is inspired from my Father-in-law who makes this often when he is staying with us.

Ghoogni 2

The Tooth Fairy did give my kiddo full money for his half tooth, and none for his swallowed tooth. The verdict is she is still a bit queasy about the whole issue.

Kauraishootir Ghoogni

• 2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
  • ½ tsp julienned ginger
  • 2 green chilies chopped
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp Oil
  1. Peel, boil and roughly break the potatoes
  2. Heat oil in a skillet and season with cumin seeds and ginger.
  3. Add potatoes and fry on a high flame for a few minutes. Then lower the flame and cook till they look nicely browned.
  4. Put in the peas.
  5. Sprinkle red chili powder, sugar and salt.
  6. Cook till done.
  7. Now add fresh black pepper. Adjust according to taste (too much will make it too spicy, so go easy on this,but add enough to give a punch).
  8. Add green chilies (optional).

Only pregnancy_thumb[1]

13 comments for “Kauraishootir Ghoogni

1. March 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Ewww on the tooth swallow but good that no harm done by swallowing a tooth. I thought it would pass right through.

I spent 3 minutes learning to pronounce this but even if I called it peas and potatoes Indian style I’d still want to make it!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Apple Streusel Coffee CakeMy Profile

• March 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Ewww indeed!! That’s what the doc said too. Thanks Maureen! This peas dish also works great as a sandwich filler.

2. March 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM

The storry sounds funny, but I know there was no fun for you in it. Poor boy as well, 2 tooths! (ok, 2 x 1/2 :). I’ve never tried Kauraishootir Ghoogni, I have everything except for cumin seeds, hope to get them soon.

• March 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

hahahaha!! You can say that again. Thanks Marta :)

3. March 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Kids are the funniest with their tooth and the tooth fairy. Two of my kids lost their teeth and had nothing to give the fairy, and they both wrote cute notes to her (I still have those). I am glad the Fairy was generous to your son.
    I love the peas and potato combo! I didn’t know the Bengali name for this dish. We have a different name in Urdu, regardless, it looks delicious and usually I can eat the whole dish.

Nazneen
    Nazneen | Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..White Chocolate Blackberry TartMy Profile

• March 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Awww so sweet!!!Don’t you just love those moments. I have the last Santa letter that my older son wrote…..I had an inkling that by the following year he would know for sure where Santa came from and I was right.

I am also not aware of the Urdu name though…..but this is another take on aloo matar I guess.

4. March 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Great story! It gave me a nice chuckle. This dish sounds delicious and is something I could easily make. I’m looking for easy Indian recipes to start my journey into cooking Indian cuisine at home. Today’s recipe is just what the dentist ordered. ;) Thanks for sharing.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Grilled Swordfish with Salsa VerdeMy Profile

• March 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Thanks John!! I am glad you want to start your journey into Indian cuisine. Just holler for any help that you need :)

March 11, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Haha what a cute story my friend, made me laugh :)
    But I do hope both of you were soothed with this delish dish!

CCU
    CCU recently posted..Happy Early Easter!My Profile

• March 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thanks Uru!! Yes, he loves this. In fact I did forget to add this in the story that he loves peas, and this one being a soft dish, is perfect after the initial extraction phase gets over.

6. March 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

hahaha, we swallowed many things when we were kids, e.g., pencil, chalk, coins etc. so don’t worry, he has digested it by now :D.

i wanted to prepare so many recipes that i saw on your blog. i am really confused now. this Ghoogni is awesome! i love ghoogni :D

• March 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You are right DJ, lol! I know it’s common for kids to swallow all sorts of stuff, still, I wish he had told me about swallowing a tooth.

Now don’t be confused, just start with it :D

7. March 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM

OMG ~ I can’t even think about the recipe because I can’t stop thinking about the swallowed tooth :-)
    CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Food Story: Fran & The Comfort of FoodMy Profile