Sorshe Maacher Paturi – Fish in mustard sauce cooked in banana leaf

Macher PaTuri

Right after I started blogging, I came across a blog that was called Coffee and Crumpets. It caught my crumpets like no other. Belonging to generation of Indians whose grandparents served the British, albeit unhappily, we grand kids picked up a lot of their language, some of their habits and a few of their phrases. Like biscuits with tea is a commonplace thing in any Indian household. Similarly, tea and crumpets is not an unknown entity either, though now that has morphed into chai and samosa.

Crumpets with coffee? Now that was a fusion that screamed British American. With a name like Nazneen, I knew there had to be a little of subcontinent in the mix. Turns out I was right on all accounts. Nazneen cooks like a chef, bakes like a dream and writes like a pro, and she is one of those who you wait for every week. Check this Lemon Cremem Brulee that she posted at my blog a while ago:

cb 1024x682 Lemon Crème Brûlée

Or this that she posted for Easter:

roulade16 Lemon Mascarpone Roulade for Easter

When she asked me to post something for her, I knew I wanted to make something authentic. Fish cooked in mustard sauce and wrapped in banana leaf jumped at me right away.

IMG_9492

This is a very spicy, but a very healthy fish recipe that is true blue Bengali. For this post, I have a much milder version as I cooked it with Tilapia. But it’s equally delicious, and the homemade mustard sauce that is made from scratch makes this dish a delicacy to savor.

Macher Paturi

So over to my friend Nazneen, and her fabulous blog, for this delicate recipe of Sorshe Macher Paturi.

afw-button-150

Your Creative Timeout Linky Party Button

13 comments for “Sorshe Maacher Paturi – Fish in mustard sauce cooked in banana leaf

1. March 29, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I need to figure out where I can buy banana leafs in Berlin, I’d love to make it.
    Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today recently posted..Scrambled eggs with asparagusMy Profile

• March 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I got it from our local regular grocery store. I am sure you will get it somewhere…
      Minnie recently posted..Hyderabadi Vegetable Dum BiriyaniMy Profile

• March 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Do you have Asian stores there? Normally any South Asian store would keep it.

March 29, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Aaaaah Nazneem is sooo sweet, actually and her blog is 100% inspiring – hmmm… is she your twin? ;)
    I am so going to check this post out!

CCU
    CCU recently posted..Guest Post #5: Brown Butter Pound CakeMy Profile

3. March 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Scrumptious! Love the pics, too.
    Alyce Morgan recently posted..38 Power Foods, Week 37 — Salmon — Salmon with Kale on Pea RisottoMy Profile

• March 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

4. March 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I only recently discovered Nazneen’s blog and thoroughly enjoy it — just like yours. I’m heading over there to see your guest post. :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Broiled Halibut with MushroomsMy Profile

5. April 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

this really is an awesome dish and i know how famous it is in Calcutta but unfortunately, i never tried it. loved the recipe and those little tips! and also the intro part.

• April 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM

You haven’t! That’s a shame. Try it with Elish maach if you ever get back to eating Non veg. Meanwhile, potatoes cook excellent too!

6. April 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Aaah, where were you 6 months ago?! I bought some banana leaves and ended up trashing them when they went mouldy because I just couldn’t think what to do with them!

This looks really lovely Minnie – something to try soon and it gives me a good reason to buy banana leaves again!
    Charles recently posted..Typically British: The Victoria SpongeMy Profile

• April 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Oh no!!! You know, just wrap any marinaded fish in banana leaves and throw it on the grill. It just gives out this awesome flavor. Let me know it turned out.