Ina Fridays – Grilled Herb Shrimps #InaFridays

Ina Fridays - Shrimps

Welcome to #InaFridays! Starting today,we are going to blog First Friday of every month a recipe from Ina Garten’s kitchen.  For the uninitiated, Ina Garten is a beloved chef who has trailblazed through the cooking world with her simple-to-make-yet-fabulous-to-eat recipes. A former White House nuclear analyst, Ina is noted for using fresh ingredients and wonderful time saving tips on cooking. Her foray into chef stardom started with opening of her Gourmet store ‘Barefoot Contessa’, followed by writing of numerous mega successful cookbooks and she continues to evolve as a celebrity chef in the popular Food Network decade long show ‘The Barefoot Contessa’.

Sounds exciting, no? If you want to join the group, please connect with Alyce Morgan from More Time At The Table

April is the Appetizer Month. Today, I am doing a take off from a recipe by Ina she calls  ‘Grilled Herb Shrimps’. Keeping the basic idea of cooking with herbs, I made some changes. Ina’s recipe uses parsley which I don’t use in my cooking. So I came up with a slight variation, combining basil with allspice and lettuce.

Ina Fridays - Shrimps and MushroomsAdapted from Ina Garten’s Grilled Herb Shrimps.

Ina Fridays - Grilled Herb Shrimps
Recipe type: Appetizer
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

Level: 2/5
  • 2 pounds large shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled and deveined (you can keep tails on)
  • 1 cup large white mushrooms sliced
Spices and Herbs:
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced - reserve ½ tsp
  • 1 medium yellow onion, small-diced
  • ¼ cup minced fresh basil
  • 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar teaspoons
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • ¼ cup shredded lettuce
  • ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional)
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  1. Combine shrimps and mushrooms with first five ingredients and marinade at room temperature for one hour.
  2. Coat a pan grill with olive oil, and grill the mushrooms, about 3 minutes on each side.
  3. Add the shrimps, and cook 3 minutes on each side along with the mushrooms.
  4. Drizzle some olive oil in a pan.
  5. Fry reserved garlic and then lettuce.
  6. Transfer the shrimps and the mushrooms.
  7. Sprinkle allspice powder, cracked pepper, red chili flakes (optional) and lemon juice.
  8. Stir on high for 1 more minute.
  9. Remove from heat and serve hot.
  10. Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/grilled-herb-shrimp-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Meet the members of our Ina Fridays group: #InaFriday

document.write(‘

(Submissions close in 9d 5h 20m)

URL: (URL of your blog post)
Name:
Email: (Not visible)
Trouble linking up?
Try here
Link tool by inlinkz.com

‘);

38 comments for “Ina Fridays – Grilled Herb Shrimps #InaFridays

April 5, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Shrimp has never looked so delicious :)

CCU recently posted..Guest Post #7: Gluten-Free Double Choc Brownie CookiesMy Profile

2. April 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I lvve shrimps, before I left San Francisco I’ve found a store with delicious fresh ones. I was eating it like crazy :)
    Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today recently posted..Red quinoa with raisins and pecansMy Profile

• April 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I adore shrimps. I can eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, lol!

3. April 5, 2013 at 3:06 AM

My goodness I had no idea that she used to be a nuclear analyst! How life changes! :O
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Nut-Free “Peanut Butter” Sunflower Seed SpreadMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yes, even I wondered at that bit of information :)

4. April 5, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Grilled shrimp are a personal favorite, Minnie, and yours here look delicious. The grill really brings out their flavor like no other cooking method can.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Bourbon & Cola Sauced HamMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Very true John, I love grilled anything the best. Pan fried comes a close second, as it is quicker and takes less effort.

5. April 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Hi Minnie,

I had such a great time doing this blog hop. I am so thrilled to be a part of the group. Love the grilled shrimps. The husband’s favorite :)
    just a girl from aamchi mumbai recently posted..A special Post for INA Friday’s – Roast Eggplant Dip to get your party startedMy Profile

6. April 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I am excited about our new group. Your contribution is stunning. I can’t eat shrimp so I will have to admire this from afar.
    Chaya recently posted..Guacamole – Ina FridaysMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Thank you Chaya, I did not know you can’t have shrimps. Hopefully you will be able to check out my next preparation :)

7. April 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Lovely, Minnie! I never met a shrimp I didn’t like.
    Alyce Morgan recently posted..Ina Fridays — Appetizers — GuacamoleMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

That’s great to know, because I love shrimps too!

8. April 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Yummy! I’ve never tried this recipe. Love shrimp!

• April 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Do try it, it’s yummy :)

9. April 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Hi, I apologize for leaving your name off. I used your list and that is why it happened. This time, I used Alyce’s list to make sure, I included you.
    Chaya recently posted..Guacamole – Ina FridaysMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Hey Chaya, no worries!! It’s great to be a part of the group, and linky part is fabulous, thanks to you :)

10. April 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

great minds think alike. I love the addition of all spice in your recipe! YUMM!
    Ansh | Spiceroots recently posted..Grilled Herb Shrimp – Ina Garten FridaysMy Profile

11. April 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Minnie,
    I love shrimp! Ina is a bright woman and her recipes show that good food doesn’t have to be complex. I’m glad you’re a part of the group!
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Chicken Sausage Stuffed MushroomsMy Profile

12. April 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM

A nuclear analyst? I would be a complete danger in that sort of a job. But hasn’t she had a complete turnaround with her career? And a successful one at that xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Nasi Goreng and…the PoliceMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I am sure you wouldn’t :)

13. April 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Those shrimp just jump off the plate. I love Ina!
    Maureen recently posted..Noosa International Food and Wine Festival 2013My Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Thanks Maureen :)

14. April 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Great looking shrimp Minnie! Your adaptation is so much better than Ina’s. personally, I find her a bit pretentious but she has a decent recipe or two.

Nazneen
    Nazneen | Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Cod CakesMy Profile

• April 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Oh my!! Thank you so much for your super kind words Nazneen :) I have to admit I like Ina well enough, though she is not one of my top favorites. Her party recipes are pretty good.

15. April 7, 2013 at 2:07 AM

We love shrimp and this grilled shrimp looks delicious!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Grilled Mackerel (Saba Shioyaki) 鯖の塩焼きMy Profile

16. April 7, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Those shrimp looks amazing!I love Ina’s recipes!
    Jayne recently posted..Easy Roasted Red Onion and Feta TartMy Profile

17. April 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Quick and yummy – just my kind of recipe.
    purbaray recently posted..Unravelling the Bengali BombshellMy Profile

18. April 9, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Yummy!! At last I found my favorite dish. With your post i’m gonna try to prepare it tonight and gonna surprise my mum :-) Thanks for sharing :-) :-)

• April 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Thank you so much! Let me know how it turned out.

• April 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

ur kind words.

19. April 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Wow!! shrimps looks amazing and I never played with these ingredients with shrimp! Thanks for sharing!
    Suja Md recently posted..Madurai Chicken Curry Recipe / Chicken Curry with warm Indian SpicesMy Profile