Bacon and pepper French Toast – Improv Challenge

Savory french toast

Last year, when I started blogging, I received an invitation to participate in a group challenge called ‘Improv_Challenge’ hosted by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. At first, I was thrilled. And then, the clueless bloggy pumpkin that I was, it totally stumped me. I had no idea what I was supposed to do, and the only linky party concept I knew was to go and link it up somewhere. Hence, when Kirsten would send me her linkies, I would stare at it stupidly, no clue what to do with it. Kristen even told me what to do, which sounded quite Greek to me, and I was too hesitant to ask any more.

Savory French toast

So I did not do anything about it. Till last week. We recently started another Blog hop called ‘Ina’s Fridays’, and Chaya from Bizzy Bakes arranged for a Linky where all the posts would show up on all the participants’ pages once they link their recipe. Ting!!! The bulb came on. I rushed back to check on Improv challenge, and now I knew what this was about.

So from this month, I happily am going to be part of this awesome group of bloggers who blog every third Thursday of the month. This months ingredient are eggs and bacon. I decided to make  French Toasts. But I gave this traditional toast a twist. Instead of semi sweet breakfast, this is more a savory mid day snack or even a brunch. Goes well as a finger food too.

Savory French Toast

Bacon and pepper French Toast - Improv Challenge
Recipe type: Appetizer

• 4 eggs
  • 8 pieces of whole wheat bread
  • 2 pieces of bacon
  • 2 Thai green chilies or any other chili of your choice
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp red chili powder
  • a pinch of turmeric (optional)
  1. Cook bacon in a pan till crisp. Transfer on a paper towel and reserve the pan with bacon oil.
  2. In a large bowl, whip eggs, milk, green pepper, red chili pepper, turmeric, salt.
  3. Crumble the bacon pieces and add to the egg mixture.
  4. Cut the bread pieces diagonally.
  5. Heat the pan or the girdle with bacon oil.
  6. Dip bread pieces into the egg mixture and fry in the bacon oil.
  7. Fry on medium flame about 4 minutes on each side, till nicely cooked and look crispy.
  8. Serve hot with ketchup.

32 comments for “Bacon and pepper French Toast – Improv Challenge

April 18, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I love your style in savoury french toast my friend, it looks delicious :D

CCU
    CCU recently posted..CCU Undercover: Maharaja’s HaveliMy Profile

• April 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Thank you Uru! Do try it, and let me know how it went :)

2. April 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Oh, I love the thought of a savory French toast…and yours looks so delicious! Great idea for the Improv! :)

• April 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Thank you Cathy! And welcome to my blog :)

3. April 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

ha! My husband hates french toast! I sure bet he’d eat this one with the bacon & peppers, though. (He’d top it with sriracha instead of ketchup, though…) Thanks for the awesome recipe!
    Melody recently posted..Bacon Pad See EwMy Profile

• April 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Guess what! My 13 year old does add sriracha instead of ketchup :D He loves them hot, as do I :) Thanks so much for stopping by.

4. April 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM

This is just so different than what I’m familiar with — and that’s a good thing. A savory french toast with a bit of a kick from the peppers would get my morning off to a great start. I’d have to experiment with the condiment, though. I make my own ketchup but I don’t know if it would “work”. Sriracha may be called into duty. Thanks, Minne, for sharing.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Burrata Returns and This Time It’s Packin’ FusilliMy Profile

• April 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM

We normally buy ketchup from Indian stores – it’s called Maggi ketchup, and has a kick that adds to our taste palate. But Sriracha works fine. I often mix the two, and that gives me the best of both worlds so to say. Thanks John!

5. April 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

What a great twist on French toast. Hubby and I usually go for the sweet kind but might be tempted to go with this! Great choice or the challenge!
    Mel@Ginger Bakes recently posted..Bacon Double Cheeseburger PocketsMy Profile

• April 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thanks so much Mel! They are my family fav too :)

6. April 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Your photos of your french toast are outstanding, Minnie. Makes me want to try your tasty looking savory creation =)

• April 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Thanks so much for the lovely words :)

7. April 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I really like the idea of putting bacon in the dipping solution. These sound like a great way to start the day.

• April 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thanks Kristen!!!

8. April 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I’ve never had a savory French toast but this would be the recipe to change that!

• April 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Thanks so much Deanna!!

9. April 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Welcome to Improv Challenge! Love the savory twist on French toast and your double incorporation of bacon without being overwhelmed by bacon
    Karen recently posted..Crispy Gnocchi and Eggplant Carbonara: Improv BlogMy Profile

• April 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

A big thank you too!!!!

10. April 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I desperately want this for my breakfast tomorrow!! :D

• April 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

And I hope you liked it :) I LOVE this version.

11. April 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

French toast with ketchup is am oryginal idea, but worth trying as well.

• April 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

It’s a great combo, especially when you add salt, and peppers, and bacon if you want. Thanks so much Marta :)

12. April 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Love this savory spin on french toast! What a great creative use of the ingredients!
    Kate | Food Babbles recently posted..Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies with Maple GlazeMy Profile

• April 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Thanks so much Kate :)

13. April 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I’ve never tasted savory French toast but this sounds quite delicious :) I’ve never sorted out how all those linky things work so I’ve never done one. my bad.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..My Audience of OneMy Profile

• April 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM

It’s delicious indeed, I promise.

14. April 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Minnie,when in India I always made savory french toast without bacon. I never knew that in western countries french toasts are sweet. I now make them both ways.
    Balvinder recently posted..Pumpkin Seed Crusted Tilapia With Mango SalsaMy Profile

• April 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

My Mom used to make both kinds all the time, but I always preferred the savory kind. Thanks so much!!!

15. April 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM

We’ve never tried a savory french toast, but my Husband L O V E S french toast…I think we’ll be trying this soon. I’ve only just begun blogging and have not figured out the linky parties either…but this one sounds quite interesting! Thanks for the great recipe!
    lynnssouthernheart recently posted..Bacon, Bacon, Bacon…My Profile

• April 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Thanks so much Lynn! This is delicious!

16. April 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Never had savory French toasts! Wow I am missing it out. I always admire bloggers who join the challenge like this. I’m too lazy. Maybe one day I’ll join and learn some new skills through challenges!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Teriyaki Salmon 鮭の照り焼きMy Profile

• April 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I am loving this particular challenge. Try the savory, it’s lovely.