Zucchini Masala

zucchini masala

I am in love with the green oblong vegetable that promises delight in every form. I can eat anything Zucchini – cakes or curries, even fries will do.

It was not so earlier. Before I started cooking on my own, I disliked greens in general, and Zucchini in particular. As a child, I was a picky eater, not a bad one, but picky none the less. I would pick out greens and line them up neatly at the edge of my plate. Then a certain look from a round pair of eyes belonging to the man sitting at the head of the table would have me meekly draw them back to the center where I would sit for some more time rearranging them less conspicuously.

zucchini masala

Marriage brought with it the prime responsibility of feeding the family. The food had to be on the table on time, be healthy and provide variety. Now the tables were turned, and I had to find ingredients that would not have me faint and still be agreeable to the hungry people who were pickiest eaters that I have ever met. Surprisingly, Zucchini was on the ‘agreeable’ list.

Which is how my love affair with Zucchini began.

I adore this particular curried Zucchini. It is simple, delightful and nutritious.

Zucchini Masala

Zucchini Masala

• 2 med zucchini
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 2-3 medium tomatoes chopped
  • ½ tsp mix of fennel seeds and cumin seeds
  • 1 pinch asaifoetida
  • 1 tsp ginger paste
  • 1 tsp garlic paste
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • ½ tsp turmeric powder
  • ½ tsp chat masala powder
  • pinch amchur powder
  • pinch fenugreek powder
  • 2 tbsp oil
  1. Heat oil
  2. Season with cumin and fennels seeds. When they crackle, add asafoetida.
  3. Add onions and fry till soft.
  4. Add ginger garlic paste
  5. Once the onions are golden, put chopped tomato and cook till soft
  6. Add the zucchini
  7. Saute
  8. Add all the powders
  9. Saute well till well coated, and then cover with lid, leaving ¼ an inch of opening to let the steam escape.
  10. Zucchini should release water and cook in it. (See note) Cook, till oil floats on the sides and the zucchini is soft. If there is water left, in increase heat till the water evaporates.
Note: Use fresh Zucchini as it cooks well in its own water. If the Zucchini is too dry, then you might need to add a few tbs of water to cook it.

So friends, do you have any food that you disliked as a child but discovered later that you can devour it with love?

17 comments for “Zucchini Masala

1. September 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Testing.
    Minnie recently posted..Zucchini MasalaMy Profile

2. September 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I make this one too, specially when I don’t find ridge gourd, I use this, it looks delicious. maybe one day will have it for lunch.
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Baked Vegetable Spring RollsMy Profile

• September 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Let me know how it went :)

3. September 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Zucchini is I think close to squash, a vegetable we get in Himachal. I never liked it. :-P Its quite tasteless. But even I had to eat it when Maasa cooked under the watchful eyes of head of the table. ;-)

• September 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

It’s not. I can prove it to you. Tu yahan aa to sahi :D

4. September 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

This sounds like a wonderfully flavorful dish, Minnie. My experience with some of these spices is quite limited and a couple I’ve never used — all the more fun! This post is both a treasure hunt and a recipe. I’m game! :)
    Thanks for sharing, Minnie.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Peanut Butter for Your PupsterMy Profile

• September 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

It is John, and very quick to prepare too! Thanks so much!!

5. September 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I too love zucchini, and my favourite way is in a masala. I’ve never added chaat masala or amchur, but I bet it tastes really good. I’m going to add that next time!
    Thanks for the hugs :) Really appreciated and needed xx

Nazneen
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Harissa Roast ChickenMy Profile

• September 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Chat masala does add a zing! That was one reason I posted the recipe…it just came out so well.

6. September 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM

This is such a soul-soothing, satisfying, nourishing dish! Looks and smells perfect :)
    Thanks for the new makeover for our good old Zucchini.
    Love.
    nusrat2010 recently posted..Mango ChutneyMy Profile

• September 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Thank you Nusrat for saying such lovely words!

7. September 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM

So somehow it’s true, that getting married changes your life ;) Lovely meal. I like zucchini myself in any form.

• September 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Awesome!! No wonder I adore you :)

8. September 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Hi Minnie – not sure if I’m quite as in love with zucchini as you but it’s not bad! The good thing is that it absorbs the flavour of anything its cooked with, so in this case it would take on the wonderful masala sauce!
    Charles recently posted..Aïeeeeeeee, it’s AïoliMy Profile

• September 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM

You are right Charles. Plus it imparts a succulency that is rarely found in any other vegetable that blends so well. Thanks so much!

9. September 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I always liked zucchini even as a child. I think because it is so mild tasting (unlike brussel sprouts which I am getting to love) ;)

10. September 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I love eggplants and zucchinis because they absorb seasonings so well when it’s cooked. I’d be happy with steamed rice and this. Looks scrumptious!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..A Little Thought on HappinessMy Profile