Fish and chaps

Fish fried

You got it right – Fish and chaps. And it’s not what you think either. Read on.

Few years ago, we went into a tavern style steakhouse in a suburban Californian town that had female servers with outfits straight out of a bad R rated cowboy movie. As we entered the lobby whose decor shrieked of Southern/western country, twenty-something girls with glossy hair and glossier lips greeted us at the door.

Usually, welcoming pair of eyes, out of faces that have flawless glowing skin, warm up the air. Now, when the said faces are attached to shapely, long limbed, supple, young female bodies that are dressed in chaps (yes, chaps - leather pants with no bottom that horse riders wear to protect their legs) over minuscule leather tops, and even tinier panties shorts held up with a holster that bare more than they cover, they practically generate tornado style air currents.

Which literally sucked the oxygen from around us, leaving us looking like fish gulping air at the water surface.

The girls, scantily clad as they were, had a ready smile, with cowboy hats perched on their head only adding to the risque look. I have to admit that the girls were quite easy on the eyes, and I would not mind hanging out in such a place on a Sunday afternoon cozying up to my man.

Only problem – our kids were with us.

We had ventured into this restaurant that was located on a strip that was opposite to a popular shopping plaza. Hungry after a long afternoon of shopping, and craving for some good American food, our eyes fell on it, and we went in. There was no sign on the outside that the waitresses were in competition with Hooters dress code (and winning in X-rated category hands down).

At first, we thought we had chanced upon an adult joint or something until the waitress handed us kids menu, bending over to welcome my kids, even while her ample bosom threatened to spill out of her tiny top.

My younger, no more than 5 at that time, gaped at the girl, open mouthed, giving her a once-over many times over, his gaze lingering on her bare thighs that disappeared into folds of black leather. As she turned to lead us to our table, three pairs of male eyes that ranged from 5 to 35 followed her barely covered behind, much to my amusement and chagrin.

By the time she came for our order, two of the trio had overcome their shock and had collected themselves, almost wearing a nonchalant air, their nose digging the menu . The youngest, however, could not help doing another once-over, before dimpling into a broad smile and quipping, “You are very beautiful!”

Hmnn…they start young, don’t they!

Later I learned they even do a lingerie show during the afternoon on weekdays.   O-o

I didn’t blog at that time, so I don’t have any pictures to share. But Texas Loosey’s left memories that were a lot more traditional than the showgirl waitresses. They served us with complimentary corn bread straight from the oven with honey butter. Sublime. They also made amazing beer battered fish, crispy, crunchy and full of flaky flesh.

Beer battered fish is one of my favorites. Super crunchy yet moist at the same time, I prefer to coat them with Panko crumbs to give that extra crunch. I also like to season them with some turmeric and red chili powder which add an extra punch to the taste of the fish.

They are so easy to put together.

Boneless  fish fillets seasoned

Boneless fish fillets seasoned

Roll them in batter

Roll them in batter

Dredge them in panko crumbs

Dredge them in panko crumbs

Fry on both sides till golden

Fry on both sides till golden

Beer battered fish fillet seasoned with turmeric and rolled in panko  crumbs

Beer battered Fish fry with turmeric twist

• 6-8 thick pieces of cod fish
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric
Batter
  • 1 cup corn flour
  • ½ cup all purpose flour
  • 1 12 oz beer bottle
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp cracked pepper
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • 1 egg beaten
  • salt to taste
  • Panko breadcrumbs for dredging
  • Oil for frying
  • Pam for spraying
  1. If frozen, thaw the fish and pat dry
  2. Season with salt, turmeric and red chili powder and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Batter:
  1. Combine corn flour, AP flour, chili powder, garlic powder, pepper, and salt
  2. Stir in beaten egg
  3. Whisk in the beer until the mixture is creamy but thin. You won't need the whole bottle. If you want, drink it, or use it as a hair conditioner.
  4. Stand the mixture for 30 minutes.
To fry:
  1. Heat about ½ cup oil in a shallow skillet. (You can deep fry if you want)
  2. Add baking soda into the batter
  3. Dip the fish into the batter
  4. Dredge the fish into panko crumbs
  5. Fry the fish till golden on both sides. Spray Pam before turning over for the fish to fry evenly.
  6. Drain, transfer on kitchen towel to soak excess oil.
  7. Serve hot.

32 comments for “Fish and chaps

1. September 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM

And, that was a family place, strange! Love your beer battered fish chaps!

• September 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

hahaha, yes, strange to say the least. But the food was quite good, though we have had better.

September 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Aaaahh men, they be 5 or 50, they are wired the same haha
    It sounds like a really cool place to go with friends though!
    Love your delicious fish and chaps :)

CCU
    CCU recently posted..Class of 2013My Profile

• September 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Spoken like a true teen, hahaha! I think it is a fun place, depending on the company. If you looked passed the copious amount of flesh on display, it wasn’t a bad place. And anyway, after a while the novelty wears off.

3. September 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I want to be disgusted by the whole idea of it, but your son’s very cute reaction is making it hard to be offended! I don’t know why skimpy dressing is necessary in a family style setting. Do you know I have never set foot in a Hooters? Those waitresses would think my husband was deprived hanging out with a covered woman!!
    Anyway, I love crispy fried fish and I too add turmeric and red chilli, got to desi-fy it :)
    Your fish looks so good, crispy and perfectly cooked.

Nazneen
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Harees | Savoury Wheat PorridgeMy Profile

• September 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM

lol! You crack me up Nazneen! Thankfully I wasn’t dressed in some sari or salwar – that would really have highlighted the contrast, hahaha! And I agree about the ‘desi-fying’ part totally!!!

4. September 30, 2013 at 2:31 AM

All Time My fav..Fish Chap looks more delicious ,,
    jaleelakamal recently posted..Three Red Magic CoolerMy Profile

• September 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks Jaleela :)

5. September 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Looks really yum and crispy too.

6. September 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Great twist of turmeric! Your beer-battered fish sounds so good!! And well, a family place should not ideally have that kind of atmosphere. Loved reading about your kid’s reaction! :)

• September 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Thanks Purabi :) My younger one is famous for coming up with outrageous stuff from time to time, hahaha! And he is so naive that it looks all the more funny.

7. October 1, 2013 at 4:25 AM

my all time favourite

8. October 1, 2013 at 6:41 AM

What a cute story!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Carnival of FlowersMy Profile

• October 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thanks so much Maureen!

9. October 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM

That’s hilarious, Minnie. What a shock. Such a shame you don’t have any pictures to share although you’ve been very descriptive so I get the idea. I love the look of your fish and chaps! What a great family meal and your batter looks very crispy and crunchy which is how I like it xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..In My Kitchen, October 2013My Profile

10. October 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Never been to hooter, but being in competition with their dress code? Must be interesting as you described.
    Your fish sounds very yummy.
    Lail | With A Spin recently posted..Gurer Shondesh – Ricotta Fudge with Date Molasses , A Guest Post for Jehanne, The Cooking DoctorMy Profile

• October 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Thanks so much!!

11. October 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Hilarious – you write a story so well! I don’t know what to do if I was there with my kids. My daughter is very independent at the age of 5 (I already worry about when she becomes teen) and she’s so interested in being pretty and all (thank god not “sexy” yet). Your kids’ reactions were so cute. The fish looks delicious!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Green Tea Donuts 抹茶ドーナツMy Profile

• October 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM

She will surprise you yet….they are ever so unpredictable…for all you know, she will turn out to be the finest teen ever!

12. October 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

That’s a great story! I never know where to look when I’m in places like that. ;-) Great dish, too. Really entertaining post – thanks so much.
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Pisco Sour CocktailMy Profile

• October 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Thank you John!!

13. October 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Love the use of turmeric to add some zip! Although when I was reading through the batter ingredients, I admit thinking briefly “… you add the *bottle*?” Clearly, I need more coffee :)

Definitely plan to try this one out next time I have cod laying around. It also sounds like the seasoning (and even the batter) would work well for frying chips alongside the fish.

• October 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM

hahahaha!! That is funny! I read and even write things that make no sense all the time, and I actually went and double checked what I wrote, lol! Yes, this batter works like a charm even for the chips, though you might need to thicken it as there would not be any Panko dredging. But you know what, I am always up fr experimenting.

14. October 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Hehe now I never tried that place when I went to Texas! Is Loosey a pun on Lucy? :P

• October 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Who knows!!! lol!!!

15. Rocky Mountain Woman
    October 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

yowsa, sounds like the kids got a little more than just dinner!

i love fish and chips or chaps or any kind of deep fried anything for that matter…

• October 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

hahaha! I think so too! Thanks for stopping by :)

16. October 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM

haha nice one
    Boys… they just can’t help themselves no? ;)
    I need to make beer battered fish again and your recipe is timely with the turmeric chili touche. Guess who will be happy in my house… yep my boy. =)

17. October 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Enjoy the read! :) and what a great looking fish dish!
    mjskit recently posted..Chile Pequin Pepper SauceMy Profile