Easy Parmesan Risotto #InaFridays

parmesan risotto

First Friday of every month we blog a recipe from Ina Garten’s kitchen. A former White House nuclear analyst (does it not make you say ‘Wow!’) Ina Garten is a beloved chef who has mesmerized the food industry for more than two decades with her comfort style of cooking. Her foray into chef stardom started with opening of her Gourmet store ‘Barefoot Contessa’, followed by writing of numerous mega successful cookbooks. She continues to enthrall as a celebrity chef in the popular Food Network show ‘The Barefoot Contessa’.

Easy parmesan risotto

The recipe I picked today as a main is Parmesan risotto. While this dish is normally a side, I decided to use it as a main course just because it’s so wholesome and filling. Rice, chicken stock, peas, all that cheese…a bowl of this and I am done for the meal. Any more and I would be over eating, hahaha! Normally, I prefer to add some ground meat in it to add some body to it. This time though, I followed Ina’s recipe faithfully, well, almost.

Parmesan risotto

Adapted from Food Network’s Barefoot Contessa and you can find the original recipe here.

Parmesan risotto

Easy Parmesan Risotto #InaFridays

• 1½ cup Jasmine rice
  • 5 cups simmering chicken stock, divided
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup dry white wine ( I used Moscato, it's not dry, and it gave a very sweet flavor to the rice)
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  1. Put the rice and 4 cups of the chicken stock in a Dutch oven and place on High flame.
  2. Bring to a boil, then lower the flame, cover and cook for 30 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is soft.
  3. Remove from the flame, add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, wine, butter, salt, and pepper, and stir vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy.
  4. Add the peas and stir until heated through. Serve hot.

My partners for this event:

If you want to be a part of this group, please connect with lovely Alyce Morgan, the fabulous blogger who initiated this.

31 comments for “Easy Parmesan Risotto #InaFridays

1. October 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I really like Ina and her cooking. The recipes are always easy enough for anyone to follow and good enough for company. I like this risotto!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Carnival of FlowersMy Profile

• October 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Thanks Maureen. I like it too!

2. October 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I love your photo. You’re really getting to be a good photographer!
    Risotto with peas is such a warm and fuzzy good feeling dish—good choice!
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Healthy Turkey Bolognese – Inspired by Ina GartenMy Profile

• October 6, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Thank you so much Mireya! I am trying, lol! And learning everyday….

3. October 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM

YUmmmy looking risotto. This is on my list for Sunday with a veggie stock of course because of Puja 🙂
    Ansh | Spiceroots recently posted..Wozij Chaaman – Paneer cooked in SpicesMy Profile

• October 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Thanks so much Ansh 🙂 Have Navratri!

4. October 5, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I caught Ina on tv when I was overseas and she made some delicious crabcakes. I craved them immediately!
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Easy Ratatouille SoupMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I love the way she uses simple ingredients.

5. October 5, 2013 at 4:31 AM

I really enjoy Inas programmes. I had no idea she had such an illustrious beginning!! This looks delicious, but like you it would have to be a main. I can’t imagine being able to eat anything with it. Risotto is so filling. GG

• October 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Thanks GG 🙂 I might have it as a side if I was really hungry and had a big piece of salmon to finish, lol! But I would definitely prefer it as a main.

6. October 5, 2013 at 4:38 AM

yes please i would love to have one plate all by myself.

• October 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

It would be my pleasure to serve you some 🙂

7. October 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Your risotto looks so very appetizing Mimi, I am inspired to cook my own now. I ll just have to go to the shop to buy some Parmesan. Thanks for the great dinner idea!

• October 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

You are welcome Helene! Thanks so much!

8. October 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I adore risotto and I’m really tempted to try it with jasmine rice instead of arborio. I, too, think this is a main, though you could have a small portion with fish, I’d think. Nice pics! Happy weekend!!
    Alyce Morgan recently posted..Ina Fridays–Main Courses–Chicken Chili for TwoMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I prefer Jasmine. Texture is very important to me, and I can’t eat thick rice much – possibly spoiled by years of eating basmati, hahaha!

9. October 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM

This is such a good choice as an entree. I agree with you. I usually add chicken. Great pictures too

Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

• October 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Thanks Linda!

10. October 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Love risotto! Especially with peas. Excellent job recreating it and it turned out so well with the Jasmine rice. Must try that next time.
    And it’s definitely a main and in my case, the leftovers are breakfast arancini.
    Nazneen
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Merguez KebabsMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Arancini…I had to google the term up, hahaha! Great idea!! Must try it sometime.

11. October 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I don’t use that many of Ina’s recipes, and I don’t know why not – they’re all good, and they all work (something you can’t say about every famous cookbook author). Thanks for reminding me to pay more attention to her. Anyway, lovely risotto. Loads of flavor, and such a good tasting dish. Thanks so much.
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Chunky Pork and Sweet Potato ChiliMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Thanks John!! I used to try her occasionally before I joined this club. Now more I learn, more my respect for her food grows.

12. October 7, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I totally agree with you Minnie.. The dish looks really filling, very appetizing and tempting too.. Also, please collect your Versatile blogger and ABC award from me, http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/2013/10/a-versatile-blogger-award-abc-award.html
    Nilu A recently posted..A Versatile Blogger Award & An ABC AwardMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I am honored. Thank you again!

13. October 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I’m so glad this risotto doesn’t require the lengthy process of stirring the rice while gradually adding the water for 20 minutes! Nice recipe!
    Fran @ G’day Souffle’ recently posted..Poires Belle HèléneMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Thank you Fran.I agree….sometimes I even pressure cook it – takes me less than 10 minutes start to finish. Though slow cooked does have more nuanced flavors, but it works when time is limited.

14. October 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Thanks a ton, Minnie darling, for the quick yet luxuriant risotto!
    Loved the way all your warm, comfy, fabulous pictures had a touch of red in the background or on the side 🙂

Hugs.
    Nusrat Azim recently posted..AmbrosiaMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Thanks Nusrat! Don’t you think red simply pops a picture?

15. October 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

What a beautiful rissotto! So very creamy. Bet this is quite delicious!
    mjskit recently posted..Chile Pequin Pepper SauceMy Profile

• October 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM

16. October 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I just bought chanterelle mushroom and was thinking about making risotto. I would love to use this recipe! Perfect timing! Looks really delicious!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Green Tea Chiffon Cake 抹茶シフォンケーキMy Profile

Comments are closed.