Sumac toasted pita bites

sumac

Middle eastern cuisine introduced itself to me about nine years ago. A chance visit to a small joint in Washington DC opened a world of delight that only continues to climb higher in my favorite food chart.

Initially, I limited my love for the cuisine to Middle Eastern dives and joints that we love to visit as a family. While that is still true to a large extent, but I have begun experimenting with the spices, baby steps honestly.

sumac recipe

Sumac is one such spice. It is widely used across the world and forms an important part of middle eastern cuisine. It is primarily used as garnish, seasoning or marination for salads, dips and meats. I have tried it in a few ways, and while some have been awesome, others have been outright disasters. No point sharing disasters, does not make for good reading, right? So sharing one that did pass the litmus test of taste with flying colors. These pita bites resembling a pizza are as different from a pizza as, well, pita is from pizza. I love to pack these in bento boxes with hummus or other dips with a protein to make a delicious, wholesome meal for my ever hungry teen.

sumac toasted pita bites

Sumac toasted pita bites

• 1 pita bread
  • 1 tbsp sumac
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh mint and coriander leaves(you can use parsley if you want)
  • A sprinkling of salt and pepper
  1. Brush the pita with olive oil
  2. Sprinkle sumac generously
  3. Spread mint and coriander leaves
  4. Toast in a toaster over for 1 minute (it should be nice and warm)
Or
  1. Using a skillet, warm the pita on one side.
  2. Repeat the steps from above on the warmed size
  3. Place it back in the skillet to toast the plain side.
  4. Serve immediately with a dip of your choice - hummus, sour cream, or tahini sauce.(I use these store-bought, for now).

16 comments for “Sumac toasted pita bites

1. October 9, 2013 at 2:52 AM

I’m so glad you shared this recipe, Minnie. I’ve use sumac in a now-favorite chicken recipe but that’s all. Finding a recipe like this one, that’s simple and with few ingredients, will allow me to use and learn more about it. For me, that’s the only way to get to know a new spice. I’m going to try this and will let you know how it goes. Thank you!
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Blueberry-Lemon SliceMy Profile

• October 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Thank you John! I have tried it in a chicken recipe, and liked it, though I am now trying to bake it so that it’s not dry. Once I get that done, I will post it. And I would love to know your chicken recipe. Thanks so much!

2. October 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I love sumac but like John above, I don’t immediately think to get it out. We sprinkle it liberally when having ME and Iranian food and on our hummus, but still it gets overlooked. This makes it the star and it’s so simple. I love this.
    I was born in the ME and since then some member of my family has lived there. ME food is as much part of our dinner table as Indian food.

Nazneen
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Merguez KebabsMy Profile

• October 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I know….your posts make me drool all the time, hahaha! The kebabs that you posted…my!!

3. October 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM

wow love the color on pita chips, its going to be soon in my kitchen I know that.
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Eggless WW Banana and Oats BreadMy Profile

• October 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Thanks so much Linsy!!!

4. October 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

What a great dish! Simple and flavorful – just what I like. I so rarely use sumac, and should more: it’s got great flavor. Good stuff – thanks.
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Skillet Jalapeño CornbreadMy Profile

5. October 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I started using sumac a few years ago. Honestly hadn’t heard of it before then. And I’ve never tried it like this on pita bread. This looks like a lovely snack Minnie and something I would enjoy with a cool drink at the end of the day. Or the kids would like this as soon as they walk through the door after uni and school xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Morphy Richards Elipta 60sMy Profile

6. October 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Hey…!!!!! it looks so yummm… i wish i could take a bite now.

7. October 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I’m crazy about sumac! It’s so versatile and I only really started cooking with it in the last few years :D Where were we before fabulous spice shops?

8. October 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I’ve never had sumac before but this looks like an easy way to try it :-)
    CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Kimchi all the TimeMy Profile

9. October 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I have sumac, soon going to try this.Looks perfect.
    Asiya Omar recently posted..Bone Marrow Soup / Nalli Elumbu Soup / நல்லி எலும்பு சூப்My Profile

10. October 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I have got to buy some sumac because I have no idea what it tastes like. It looks delicious sprinkled and baked on this pita chips. What a great idea! These pita bites should work with a lot of different spice combination.
    mjskit recently posted..Southwestern Pork Stir FryMy Profile

11. October 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I’ve collected several recipes using sumac and I’ve been very very curious how sumac tastes like! I’m giong to add this to the list!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Green Tea Chiffon Cake 抹茶シフォンケーキMy Profile

12. October 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I love sumac and always have some in the pantry. You’re right that it doesn’t go with everything but when it’s right, it’s brilliant.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Chocolate Brownie Cookie Sandwiches Filled with Peanut Butter ButtercreamMy Profile

13. October 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I love middle eastern food, it’s the perfect blend between european and Indian food. Or so I think at least. Need to try your sumac asap!