Tamagoyaki – Japanese omelet

Japanese style eggs

Easy, delicious, scrumptious and quick, not to mention a big hit with my kids. This amazing sounding omelet given by Nami on her blog Just One Cook Book sprinkles Japanese flavors into an otherwise pedestrian dish, taking it to a different level. You cannot not love it!

omelet with nori sheet

Of course, the eggs haven’t rolled perfectly, but they are delicious. Thanks Nami for this amazing little dish. I am making these until I get them perfect :)

easy Japanese flavored omelet

How to make Nori omelet:

Break 2 eggs in a bowl and mix gently. Don’t over mix. To keep them soft, add 1 tbsp water. You can add sugar, but I skipped it. Heat 1 tsp oil or spray with Pam and pour the egg mixture. Make sure the pan is nice and hot or else the eggs will stick to the bottom.

eggs with nori

Place a nori sheet in the middle.

nori eggs

Fold it on both sides.

nori eggs Roll

nori eggs

Cut into slices and serve hot.

Japanese style omelet

I am still perfecting them, but while they might look less than glamorous, they taste divine.

15 comments for “Tamagoyaki – Japanese omelet

1. October 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

love this omelet sushi. my problem is I live my eggs very well done, so have to cook on both side and then I can experiment it.
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Halloween Chocolate BarkMy Profile

• October 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

My husband likes it that way too. So what I do is cook it on slow, making sure all the liquid is spread out and steam cooked. You can also spray some PAM over it to help quicken the process. Then you lay the nori sheet and fold as usual.

I also flipped once I had it folded. It had cooked right through.
      Minnie recently posted..Tamagoyaki – Japanese omeletMy Profile

2. October 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best! Keep perfecting the roll :)
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Kheema Aloo | Ground Meat and Potato CurryMy Profile

3. October 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM

This omellette roll looks pretty and impressive. I’m glad you said it’s easy to do because it sure doesn’t look like it. I think yours turned out really well xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Thai Red Curry Pork with Pineapple and GingerMy Profile

4. October 30, 2013 at 1:08 AM

A dish needn’t be complicated to be good and you’ve proved that point here, Minnie. When I read your post’s title, I imagined something a bit more complicated. Instead, I found a relatively easy dish to prepare but with an unmistakable Japanese flair. Very nice, Minnie. :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Today’s Jam is a Real Plum, Damson Plum with CardamomMy Profile

5. October 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Minnie, thank you so much for trying this recipe, and I’m sooo happy to hear your kids liked it! It’s easy right? Instead of nori, you can use other things kids like! Thank you so much for trying this recipe and linking back to my post! :)
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Crispy Baked Chicken 揚げないチキンカツMy Profile

6. October 30, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Nami has amazing recipes! I love her blog :D And this is a great pick too!

7. October 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM

To me the roll looks cute, adorable and inviting. Sometimes ‘cute, adorable and inviting’ is better than ‘perfect’ :)

Loved your pictures, darling :)
    Nusrat Azim recently posted..AmbrosiaMy Profile

8. November 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Wow..very tempting Minnie..Beautiful clicks
    Maria John recently posted..Aval Payasam | Poha KheerMy Profile

9. November 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

The omletter looks so good.Is there any Indian substitute for nori sheets?
    Barnali recently posted..Sahi Tukda (Royal Toast) on MahastamiMy Profile

10. November 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Delicious japanese omelet, I love them a lot, miss those taste.
    swathi recently posted..Spiced Pumpkin Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

11. November 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Love it !! Looks perfect to me and yum!!
    Avika recently posted..Chana Dal Burfi – SNC challengeMy Profile

12. November 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Hi Minnie,
    I haven’t checked up on you in awhile and I thought I’d see what you’re cooking up. The Japanese omelette looks like a great lunch idea. I’m anxious to try it. I especially like that it’s got the nori in it.
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Apple Tart with No-Roll CrustMy Profile

13. November 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM

this is something I’ve always wanted to make ever since I saw it over at Nami’s. Thanks so much for this alternative method. It looks relatively easy and delicious! What a beautiful outcome.
    mjskit recently posted..Atole – My Cold Weather SmoothieMy Profile