Nibble and toast

Egg and Toast married

A marriage of egg and toast

Did I tell you guys that I was in the middle of arranging for a community event to celebrate Diwali? It was a lot of people, lots of food and lots of dancing.

It also had lots of kids dancing to meticulously choreographed numbers at Indian folk and Bollywood tunes. I choreographed not one, not two, but three groups for kids ranging from 3-15.

That is besides making many other arrangements that comes with the territory of arranging a event on a large scale. Coordination, ticket sales, food, scheduling, etc etc etc. I have a very talented group of people who helped me out in this venture, and we all hoped that this very first attempt in this city would be successful.

Egg and Toast in butter

Meanwhile, through all this, I have been kind of MIA in visiting other blogs. I apologize for that. With all this going on, plus the kids and their crazy schedule, it’s been a bit more hectic than I bargained for.

It was fun though, especially seeing the kids mirroring my moves and actually skipping and jumping with happy expressions at what they were achieving.

Priceless.

toast on egg

I have also met some very interesting people in the process. Like this gentleman who pledged a full auto detailing gift card to our event in response to our pledge to support local business. Not only he pledged a magnanimous GC, he was also super friendly, despite the fact that he was full of grease that comes from being stuck under the chassis of a truck for most part of the day. And then I learned that he is just not someone who owns an auto repair business, but a fireman too.

Respect.

I am not sure who won that raffle prize, lucky person, but the night was a huge success. Then there was this small matter of me performing in a folk dance and while doing some steps, skidding on a piece of cloth and falling..on the stage….with the audience watching….well that video is never making its way to the You Tube.

Embarrassment.

At such hectic times, eating can be a chore. Seriously, who has time to sit down for a proper meal? Not when your smart ph just buzzed with the 74th email, and you have 3 different documents to update, and then call and co-ordinate with vendors, return 7 missed calls, hunt for that perfect green thread to fix your son’s costume….

At such times, quick meals are the order of the day. But the tongue balks at eating something straight out of the refrigerator. This is when I fall back on eggs and toast. My idea of comfort food. Everyone eats them, so what’s so special about it? Not much, other than that it’s brown butter, and that the egg and the bread are married together.

I saw this on a television show, and was hooked. So simple, and yet just amazing…..and so easy that I almost did not blog it. But Hubby pointed out that it’s simple recipes that should be blogged about, because sometimes simplest of things sometimes escape the best of chefs.

Could not agree more. Three ingredients – eggs, toast and butter. But it’s like eating something completely new…it’s amazing how a simple change in technique can create a whole new dish.

Melt butter Heat butter
Heat butter Let it brown
Fry bread and poach egg place the unfried side over the egg
Scoop a little hole in the bread

and the fry it in butter. Cook the

egg on the side.

Place the un-fried side over the egg

toast on egg

toast and egg

toast on egg

Brown butter toast and egg
Serves: 1

• 1 egg
  • 1 piece of whole wheat bread
  • 1 tsp of butter
  • Sprinkling of salt and pepper
  1. In a non stick pan, heat the butter, keeping the flame low. Swirl it around gently, until it starts turning brown.
  2. Crack an egg, sunny side up.
  3. Depending on where the egg yolk is sitting, make a hole in that area of the bread (approximate), and place is beside the eggs.
  4. Once the egg is a bit firm, and the bread looks nicely toasted, flip it over and place it on the egg, un-fried side down, positioning the hole over the yolk.
  5. Let it cook for another 30 seconds.
  6. Sprinkle salt and pepper.

19 comments for “Nibble and toast

1. November 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM

You poor thing! I wouldn’t want to see you fall on stage but seeing you dance, now that would be pretty special.

Congratulations on organizing something so wonderful!

Your lunch sounds perfect!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..3 Delicious Lunch Ideas For the Lazy ManMy Profile

• November 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Thank you Maureen, it was special. Now the trick would be to keep it going.
      Minnie recently posted..Nibble and toastMy Profile

2. Sreedevi
    November 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Now, this is something I can see in my head very clear with pretty colors, kids dancing.. I think this is first time I know for sure what the blogger is talking about:) Seen u in action for three straight years so much that no dance practice looks as good as ur’s (even the practice, I meant to say). So far I read many of ur posts but never a left a comment.. this is so close to heart I couldn’t stop myself.
    We miss loads!!!!!!!!!!!

• November 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I miss you so…..I am glad you came here :D Made my day. Some of the best memories ever.
      Minnie recently posted..Nibble and toastMy Profile

3. November 26, 2013 at 1:03 AM

That looks like a great, fast but nourishing snack Minnie. And don’t worry about falling over, it’s the kind of thing that I would do too! :)

• November 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

On stage….I doubt…it’s the first time it happened to me though, and wish it hadn’t, lol!
      Minnie recently posted..Nibble and toastMy Profile

4. November 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Egg poach is my allting fav anytime and anywhere dear. Your egg toast makes me hungry.
    Chandrani recently posted..Coriander / Cilantro ParathaMy Profile

5. November 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

multi tasking lady. looks perfect for breakfast.
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Dhaba DalMy Profile

6. November 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I am beyond impressed Minnie! Choreographing 3 dance routines! Where are those photos?? I am very happy that your event was a successful one and here’s to many more…..and hopefully none that you slip and fall in :)
    Eggs and toast are the ultimate comfort food. This looks great.
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Orange Cardamom MadeleinesMy Profile

7. November 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Minnie I am sure you had a great Diwali! This breakfast is right down my alley…looks good, fast to make and loved by everyone!

8. November 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Falling over is second nature for me my friend, don’t even worry about it :)
    I would love to see you dance!
    And this snack toast looks so nourishing, delicious and cute!

CCU
    Choc Chip Uru recently posted..CCU Undercover: Four Friends – Coffee, Chocolate & TeaMy Profile

9. November 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM

You are one talented person, how did you manage everything, Minnie? Well, in such busy schedule the egg toast with egg oozing out of it look so yummy!
    Balvinder recently posted..Easy Goat CurryMy Profile

10. November 27, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Wow, Minnie! You sure do manage to get a lot accomplished. Your days have 24 hours, right? I’m sure your Diwali was wonderful and how I wish I could have seen the dances. How gratifying it must have been for you to see them dance “your steps.” I live this egg dish. I make a very similar one and it is a great meal when you’re on the go. It takes only minutes to prepare and it is so very good, too. :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..What I Did During My Fall VacationMy Profile

11. November 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Gosh, you’re on the go go go! Sounds like you had a wonderful Diwali. This is such a fun egg dish! That yolk looks so nice peeking out from the hole in the bread. Good stuff – thanks.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Frittata with Brussels SproutsMy Profile

12. November 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM

This dish used to be a favourite of my family’s- we called it “Egg in the Bread” (surprise, surprise!) Except, I cracked the whole egg over the bread, with the yolk peeking out of the hole- instead of cooking the egg separately. Woohoo- wish I could have seen you choreograph those Bollywood dances!
    Fran @ G’day Souffle’ recently posted..Crispy Shrimp with Caramelized Orange Sauce- plus a Giveaway!My Profile

13. December 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Oh yes – fried egg and fried bread. You can’t get better than that really! My wife makes something a bit similar… she cut holes out of the bread (works best with two slices), pours the yolk into one hole as the bread is frying, and the white into the others, fries it all up, and the little bread discs as well, tops the holes with the bread pieces and puts parsley on top. Whichever way you have it, it’s a lovely snack!
    Charles recently posted..Normandy Pear Pie – or is it?My Profile

14. December 5, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I’d love to see the dance at Diwali festival! Must be lots of work to coordinate such a group with big age gap! I’ve never had fried egg and bread like this. How interesting! Love runny egg yolk so I’ll enjoy this very much! :)
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..How To Cook Rice 美味しいご飯の炊き方My Profile

15. savitha
    January 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Our favourite breakfast. loved all your clicks.