Momo – Nepali style steamed dumplings with hot tomato chili sauce

Mutton Momo

As winter sets in, having a plate full of aromatic dumplings straight from the steamer tastes like heaven.

Right after the birth of my younger son, I ate Momos, lots of them. They were healthy, which meant as a new nursing mother it was OK for me to have them, and spicy, which was a break from the normal mundane food that I was forced to eat so as not to give my little one heartburn. Recently, a friend made them for dinner and that had the memories flooding back. I took her recipe, but as it was verbal, so I didn’t remember if I got the ingredients right. But I did hark back to memories to the momos back in India, and of course searched the internet and then settled for today’s recipe. It was just what I had wanted.

Momo or steamed meat filled dumplings are a crossover from Nepal to the streets of India. The history of Momos are murky, but considering dumplings form such an important part of most South Asian cuisine, it is possibly a cross over from their Chinese neighbors in to the Himalayan country – or vice versa.

As the name suggests, momos are pastry dough filled with meat and vegetable fillings. Many different kinds of meat is used in making momos – most popular being buffalo meat, besides goat meat, pork, yak, lamb or even seafood where available. One of the most popular street food in North Eastern India, Momos have now acquired a legendary status as a street food that is actually healthy.

Gorgeous Momo

Mix 3 full cups of ground meat (I used goat meat, but chicken, beef and pork work just as well) with equal amount of finely chopped onions as the ground meat, 2 tbsp finely grated ginger, 1/2 cups of celery, 1/2 cup spring onions, 1/2 cup of coriander leaves, 2 thai green chilies chopped fine (optional), 1/4th cup oil, 1/4th cup warm water. Using your fingers, mix all the ingredients well, like you would knead a dough. Add water to make the mixture moist and more homogeneous.

Ground meat Equal quantity onions 2 tbs ginger celery

Green corriander Add salt Mix well Nice doughy look

Now place a small amount of the meat mixture on a pastry sheet.

Making a momo

Fold it over.

Making a momo

Using water, seal the side.

making a momo

Bring the corners around and paste them together using water.

Fold the ends of the momo

Momos ready to be steamed

I don’t have a steamer, so I used a big pressure cooker, and steamed the momos on the slotted plates that come with pressure cookers, using other smaller steel bowls to create a tier.

Making the tier in pressure cooker making th tier in pressure cooker Making the teir in pressure cooker Making the tier in pressure cooker

Bring water to boil in all the containers (all of them steam the plate on top). Add a spoon of mixture to the water, it adds to the aroma. You can use this as a soup or stock later.

A little meat in the watr

Momos steamed

The chutney that goes with it is something that lends to the Momo eating experience.It provided a perfect foil to Momo’s subtle taste.

Momo - Nepali style steamed dumplings with hot tomato chili sauce
Cuisine: Nepali
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
  • 2 packets wanton wrappers
For filling
  • 3 cups ground meat (mutton/pork/chicken/beef)
  • 3 cups chopped onions
  • 2 tbsp grated ginger
  • ¼ cup celery chopped
  • ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
  • ½ cup spring onions chopped
  • 2 Thai chilies chopped (optional)
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 tsp salt
For chutney
  • 2 large tomato grated
  • 5 thai red chilies
  • 1 tbsp spring onions
  • ¼ cup green coriander
  • water as needed
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • salt
  1. Mix all ingredients for filling and knead it like a dough for 2 minutes, adding water to make it more homogeneous
  2. Place a small amount of filling in the wrapper and fold it over and form a dumpling by sealing the ends.
  3. Steam the dumplings for 18 minutes.
For chutney
  1. Grate tomatoes
  2. Grind the rest of the ingredients except lemon juice in a blender with little water, taking care not to puree them. Alternatively, you can grind the rest of the ingredients of the chutney in a mortar-pestle.
  3. Using a fork, mix in the tomatoes until they are well mixed together. Add lemon juice.
Note: Coat the slotted plates with a little oil or PAM. That prevents the dumplings from getting stuck. Also, when cooked well, the dumplings should not stick.

37 comments for “Momo – Nepali style steamed dumplings with hot tomato chili sauce

1. December 10, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I’ve never had Indian dumplings but just looking at what’s in them, I know I’ll LOVE eating them.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic GlazeMy Profile

• December 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM

These are really fab…try it sometime.

• Sushil
      July 13, 2015 at 1:15 PM

The title says Nepali dumpling. Be careful when u leave a comment. You look like an idiot when you are old as Mount Everest( of course that’s in Nepal FYI.) and don’t know the vast difference between India and Nepal.

2. December 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM

lovely idea of steaming by creating tiers.. also i liked the way u have folded the mom sheets. i do in a diff way .. but urs look more cute..
    smitha kalluraya recently posted..MAKAI PALAK / SPINACH N CORN GRAVYMy Profile

• December 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Thanks so much Smitha :)

3. December 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Luks yummy n tempting….happy to knw abt new dish..

• December 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Thanks Maha, try it sometime.

4. December 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Woww .. u just made my mouth water .. i love the chutneys which come along with momos .. will try this recipe
    Shweta Sarawgi recently posted..Food that is good for SkinMy Profile

• December 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Thank you Shweta, let me know how they turn out :)

5. December 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I had never tried Nepali style dumplings before and they look delicious Minnie! My kids love dumplings. From dim sum to Japanese style, they will eat everything (including some ingredients that they don’t like which I put inside the dumplings!). Looks so delicious!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Just One Cookbook – Essential Japanese RecipesMy Profile

• December 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

That sounds like a great idea, I should try it sometime, lol!

6. December 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I’m in your part of the world now (North America) and trust me, these would be so welcome! 😀 I’ve never made momos before so thanks for showing us 😀

• December 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You are? Where? How fun is that!

7. December 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I’ve never had momos, but me didn’t spend much time in North India, of course, even if I had! my dad would never let me eat street food :( I feel so deprived of that experience. These look so good, a bit like the Afghani (manti) dumplings but they’re covered in yoghurt sauce. Dumplings are so good that every cuisine has a version!
    Wish I had some now.
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..White Chocolate Mousse MeringuesMy Profile

8. December 11, 2013 at 4:15 AM

A few months ago, I made tortelloni using wonton wrappers and they looked very similar to your momos, Minnie, but that’s where the similarity ends. As you might expect, the fillings differ greatly as does the cooking and serving. Even so, knowing how to form the dumplings is half the battle, in my book. All I need now are the ingredients. I do think I may have to tone down the chutney, though. It may be a bit too hot for my palate. :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Egg-Filled RavioliMy Profile

9. December 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I didn’t know that Indians made dumplings like this. The tomato sauce sounds very good. It’s a good alternative to the sauces that are soy based.
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Slow Cooker Skinny Clam ChowderMy Profile

• December 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Indians make a lot of dumplings. In the north, it’s mostly fried and the filling is sweet. In the east, there are more sweet dumplings made out of variety of pastry sheets. The savory dumplings are more common in the North eastern part. Thanks Mireya :)
      Minnie recently posted..Momo – Nepali style steamed dumplings with hot tomato chili sauceMy Profile

• Sushil
      July 13, 2015 at 1:24 PM

The title says Nepali dumpling. Be more vigilant when u make hedious assumption about Nepal and India as same country because they are two different country in South Asia for your information.

10. December 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Hi Minnie,
    This post is looking so beautiful ! Thanks for sharing awesome posts!
    I enjoyed browsing through your other wonderful recipes. It was a real delight to see and learn so much from your each and every post. Hope to see more of your creative endeavors in the New Year. Have a wonderful Holiday Season and stay Warm !
    Thanks & Regards, Sonia

11. December 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I’ve never met a dumpling I didn’t like. And although I haven’t had these, just reading the recipe I know I’d love them. These look really good! Thanks so much.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..The French 75 CocktailMy Profile

12. December 12, 2013 at 2:47 AM

These look so yummy. I’ve never heard of them and by looking at them, would have thought they were Asian! Not a blend of Indian and Italian! I would love to eat a bowl of these – awesome! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..A Summer Christmas PartyMy Profile

13. December 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Minnie, thanks for the detailed instructions on how to fold the wanton wrappers. Goat meat is not too easy to find here, so I would probably use pork or beef- the sauce looks delicious!
    Fran@ G’day Souffle’ recently posted..Christmas TrifleMy Profile

• December 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

It works wonderful with pork too, though I must admit I am not sure how beef would work.

14. December 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM

ok for that hot spicy sauce I have to make this momos, never had it in India when I was there but after blogging world came to know about this, so its on my to do list for so long. now looking at your sauce, its perfect for this 20F temperature.
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Dal Fry / Yellow Spilt pea lentil soupMy Profile

• January 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Thanks Linsy!! Wish you a beautiful new year and hope you like it :)
      Minnie recently posted..Huevos RancherosMy Profile

15. December 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

They look super cute and yummy .Def in my to do list .Folding the momos is an art def .
    sathya priya recently posted..Aloo Bonda (Urad Dal)My Profile

16. December 30, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I lived in Manali for a while and learned to make these Tibetian style. The highlight of my life in manali was to eat and make these :)) Lovely post. Happy new Year Minnie!
    Ansh recently posted..Classic Chocolate TrufflesMy Profile

17. December 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Wow… lovely and clean preparation and presentation too..but i don’t get wanton sheets here.. i have tried this with just rolling maida. and making puri size sheets….
    Preetha recently posted..Pineapple Pachadi – Kerala Sadya StyleMy Profile

18. bhaskar
    May 7, 2014 at 4:14 AM

a nice one indeed…. Mimi. but should the meat be pressure cooked first? then the time wd be shorter….

19. saima
    May 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

how much time did you give it to steam and how much water did you add ?

20. Sushil
    July 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Hello Minnie, I am really glad to find your fantastic recipie for MOMO.

Athough ur recepie is great I would like to make a suggestion. Please do correct all the reviewer who somehow managed to assume it’s an Indian food even though the bold title read it’s NEPALI MOMO.

That’s because first of all it’s a wrong . And second of all it’s a typical Nepali cuisine and it deserves its identity.

• July 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Thank you for your comment. I see you are very worked up with Nepal and India being two different countries. I assure you, I have my Geography right, and even my history right. Not only they are two different countries, but I have very clearly mentioned that Momos have crossed over from Nepal to India. This recipe is styled the way Nepalis cook it; However, momos are as popular in Gangtok as they are Katmandu. World is global, and Japanese, Chinese and Koreans have been cooking dumplings too since they came into existence. Peace :)