Huevos Rancheros

Huevos Rancheros

Yesterday, I found my older one listening to a really screechy, bad parody of Psy’s song ‘Gangnam style. The grating song it seems is an attempt to teach the people listening to this dreadful rendition the basics of Spanish verb usage – conjugating verb.

The song is so cheesy and bad that some of the lyrics play in your mind long after the song is over. My son’s Spanish written went really well today. He has been having issues with verbs, so when the paper went well, he was really happy, and proud; Proud that he could finally write legible Spanish, unlike French he took last year and failed miserably in.

All thanks to someone’s brilliant tutoring idea on You Tube!

New twists to old favorites is nothing new. The other day I was looking for some lamb recipes. I am not a big fan of lamb, but my kids love it, so I keep looking for ways to make new recipes. I came across Old El Paso Lamb recipes. While onto them, I saw their page and was impressed by the wide variety of quick meals that they have in there. My son came back from school after a long stint at the Robotics club, and I decided to make him a quick Huevos Rancheros – basically a dish with egg and tortilla.

Huevos Rancheros

I did make some quick changes, but it has been more or less been adapted from the Old El Paso Huevos Rancheros recipe.The addition of dried habanero peppers brings a pop, keeping in mind that these dried peppers are not really hot, but have a twang, for want of a better term. This is a very handy recipe for the quick snack times that call for some heavy snacking – the kind growing teens demand after a long day at school.

Huevos Rancheros
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: Mexican

• 1-2 flour tortilla
  • 1-2 eggs
  • 1 cup chunky organic salsa (I used roasted garlic)
  • 3 tsp olive oil (or use PAM spray)
  • 1 cup regular canned red kidney beans
  • 1 tsp finely chopped dried habanero peppers
  • a few sprigs of parsley/cilantro
  1. Heal 1 tsp oil in a pan and pour the salsa.
  2. Make a hole in the middle (or two if using two eggs) and break an egg into the hold. Alternatively, you can break the egg into a cup and slide the egg gently into the hold. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low.
  3. In another pan, add 1 tsp oil and warm the tortilla and place on plate. Add another tsp oil and fry the chopped peppers. Add the beans and stir till the beans are warm. Transfer the beans on the tortilla.
  4. Place the egg and the salsa on top and serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley or cilantro leaves.
Note: Use two eggs if using two tortillas

12 comments for “Huevos Rancheros

1. linsy
    January 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Oh I love thst site a nd all other too. This I still have to try it, had it once outside and love it , as I told you before thst I don’t like runny eggs so I have to cook it and then add it. Looks perfect for breakfast.

• January 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Thanks Linsy! You can cook the eggs separately, though the runny egg mixes up well with the salsa and the beans and taste great. I am not a great fan of Mexican food, but I am slowly warming up to a lot of food from that cuisine and this is definitely one of them.

2. January 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Well done on the Spanish and what a treat these Huevos Rancheros are! Yum!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Big Mouth FunnelsMy Profile

• January 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Right you are!

3. January 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM
  4. January 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Great dish! So right about cheesy songs, they get stuck in your head forever.

5. January 9, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I love this dish, I’ve made it once or twice and a great reminder to make it again! I’m glad your sons Spanish was a success! My 13 yr old is doing Spanish, she chose that over French though I told her I could help with French but not Spanish. She enjoys it more and that’s fine with me. I’ll practice my French somewhere else (my 16 yr old)
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Curried Chicken Noodle SoupMy Profile

6. January 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Happy New Year Minnie!
    Your Huevos Rancheros looks interesting. I have heard of this dish somewhere before but I hadn’t tried it yet. Kind of reminds me of the middle eastern shakshuka =)

7. January 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Hi Minnie, This is a terrific post! It’s wonderful to see your each and every post. I simply adore your work ! And hope to see more of your creative endeavors soon ! Bookmarked this one and shall give it a shot :)) Wish you and your family a very Happy and Blessed New Year!!!
    Thanks & Regards, Sonia !!!
    sonia recently posted..Umpteen Best Wishes for the Year 2014 and Redefining Self !My Profile

8. January 16, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Yay, on the Spanish test. Huevos rancheros is a good reward. I’m glad you reminded me that I haven’t had then in awhile. I ‘ve got some beans in the fridge, too.
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..My Healthy Black Bean BurgerMy Profile

9. January 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I LOVE huevos rancheros! I love breakfast and always have a hard time picking a menu (I can eat breakfast three times a day). I just realized after seeing your post that I should be making this at home, so I don’t have to complain I can’t order 3 breakfast menus. ;)
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Niratama Donburi ニラ玉丼ぶりMy Profile