Mohanbhog, a traditional semolina pudding and a naughty dog

Mohan bhog 2014-01-14 036

It was gone. In space of ten minutes. I cooked the pudding, with love, and a lot of sugar. It was sunny and warm, and I jumped at the opportunity to click some pictures that would not look like they have been veiled in a blue haze.

I had just finished some shots when my son called from school and asked me to pick him up from his after school club. It is finals time, so the school was let off early. I placed the bowl on dining table and left. We were back in ten minutes, and my son took the dogs out and I started making him some lunch.

Mohan bhog

He came back in a while later and said, ‘ Marina is behaving weird Mom.’ Worried, I asked, ‘does she look sick?’

‘No, just weird. She is not playing and looks very uncomfortable.’

I looked at her, puzzled. Her ears were flat. Her eyes were wide, her hind side lowered, her neck bowed towards the ground, her snout up, sniffing the air as if she expected something bad to happen to her.

She looked……guilty.

My eyes widened and I rushed to the dining table, and there it was, sitting, empty, with tell-tale signs giving away the thief’s identity.

Mohan bhog

In the ten minutes I was gone, her nose had led her to the sweet filled bowl and she had simply put her paws up and licked it clean. Then she had removed herself from the scene.

Marina in trouble

It is hard to stay angry with that look.

I had taken some out for clicks in a bowl, and that was all that was left. I divided it into equal portions and made the boys a sweet roll with tortilla. They told me it was divine.

Mohan bhog

Mohan bhog is cooked as an offering to Sri Krishna – or Mohan as he is lovingly called – and made on festival days. But the pudding has many modern takes. The one I have posted today is with eggs, though it is completely optional.

Ingredients for Mohanbhog

Add eggs (optional)

Cook for some more time

Cook for some more time

Add ghee, cardamom and saffron milk, mix well

Add ghee, cardamom and saffron milk, mix well

Mohan bhog

Mohanbhog - a traditional semolina pudding
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Indian

• 1 cup Semolina
  • 2 cups milk plus two tbs more
  • ½ cup cashews
  • a handful of slivered almonds
  • 1 handful of raisins
  • 1-1/3 cup sugar (add slowly and adjust according to taste)
  • a pinch saffron
  • ½ tsp freshly grounded green cardamom
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
  • 2 eggs (optional)
  1. Soak saffron in 2 tbsp of milk and keep aside.
  2. In a ducth oven or any other heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil.
  3. Season with bay leaf.
  4. Saute the semolina in the oild on low for 10-12 minutes till it starts turning golden brown. Keep stirring or else it will get burned.
  5. Mix in the nuts and the raisins.
  6. Pour milk, slowly, stirring well to ease out the lumps.
  7. Once the consistency is thick and smooth, add sugar.
  8. Keep stirring, till the pudding starts to dry up.
  9. If adding eggs, then whip them in a bowl and add them slowly at this point. This is optional and you can skip this. The taste will be a bit different with and without eggs. I added eggs in this one.
  10. Once the semolina starts looking nice and crumbly, add ghee, saffron milk and cardamom powder and give one last mix with the spatula.
  11. Serve hot of cold.

Unfortunately, my family did not get to enjoy this mouth-watering dessert, but I am going to make more soon.

Mohan bhog

So dear reader, do you have a pet? What is the worst mischief your pet have ever gotten itself into?

20 comments for “Mohanbhog, a traditional semolina pudding and a naughty dog

1. January 18, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Yummy.. had tasted once in my Gujrathi frnds place.. it was drool worthy
    smitha recently posted..CHUTNEY PUDI / CHUTNEY POWDER / SPICED LENTILS POWDERMy Profile

• January 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Thanks Smitha :)

2. January 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Great story! And better dish – this looks terrific. I’ve never had this, but should. ;-) Thanks for this.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Oven Slow-Cooked BBQ Pulled PorkMy Profile

• January 21, 2014 at 1:29 PM

3. January 20, 2014 at 7:41 AM

What a guilty puppy dog! I suspect your baby will be like mine soon. He’s between my chair and my feet squeeeeezed in tightly. That’s wonderful except he’s a farty dog!! Ugh!!

This sounds like a lovely dessert, Minnie.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..You CAN Grow Corn in a Small PatchMy Profile

• January 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM

She lets the tongue lead her, lol! She one big garbage hunter and eats from the table when we are not looking. But we adore her, lol! Funny thing is, now a days, the moment our eyes sights something that she has ‘stolen’ she goes to her ‘time out’ place by herself and sits there, lol!

4. January 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Oh dear… naughty doggy! I don’t blame him though! I had this recently… I just can’t think who it was that made it for me but I loved it. Thanks for sharing your recipe Minnie!
    Charles recently posted..Swedish Countryside – My neighbourhoodMy Profile

• January 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I am glad you did. It’s very easy to make and hope you try it sometime.

5. January 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM

The pudding looks so good. Following you in Fb.
    savitha recently posted..Tandoori Aloo Wrap – The Wrapped goodness – Step by stepMy Profile

• January 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM

6. January 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Hehe I can’t imagine staying mad with that face! :D This looks worth getting in trouble for :D

• January 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Ah! But I wish she wouldn’t, there are enough reasons as it is for us to get that look, lol!

7. January 21, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Oh dear. Did she need to have her stomach pumped? My dog Sophie, that we had when I was growing up, once jumped up onto a chair and then onto the kitchen table and ate a clean half of a beautifully iced and decorated Christmas cake. The fruit swelled in her stomach and nearly killed her. We had to rush her to the vet where she had her stomach contents upturned! But what a cutie you have. As you say, it’s impossible to be angry with them for too long xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Pinnacle Grill on the Ms OosterdamMy Profile

• January 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

She has the constitution of a bison. She didn’t even burp, hahaha!

8. January 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I actually love this dessert and remember eating it a lot during my childhood though I don’t make it much now (can’t think why)….and your dog is so cute and he really finished the whole bowl huh!! I have a pet Cockateil and he’s still a pretty shy bird and doesnt get into much mischeif but everytime he sits on my shoulder he goes peck peck peck on my earring…apparently he thinks its a shiny toy or food , whatever! ;-)
    Manju @ Manju’s Eating Delights recently posted..Kerala style Chicken StewMy Profile

• January 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM

lol! So cute!! This dog of mine is a foodie, and loves to eat, eat and eat. She is incorrigible, lol! She is almost 5 ft when she stands on her paws, so reaching places is not tough, and takes full advantage of it. The only plus point is she is not allowed in the kitchen area, and she still adheres to that rule, though we have an open kitchen.
      Minnie recently posted..Mohanbhog, a traditional semolina pudding and a naughty dogMy Profile

9. January 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Well the poor baby could not stay away from all the deliciousness!! It really does look oh so good! One of my friend from Bangladesh makes a halwa only with eggs! So I am dying to start with this one – and see how it goes
    Ansh | Spiceroots recently posted..Indian Peanut Chikki or Brazilian Pé-de-molequeMy Profile

10. January 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I certainly cannot blame your gorgeous dog, she is too cute to stay mad at! And this puddings looks so delicious, I would go straight into it as well!

CCU
    Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Party In The USA – Part IIIMy Profile

11. January 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Naughty, naughty dog… Oh,but he felt so badly. At least you got a beautiful photo befor the crime occurred. I’ve never heard of Mohanbhog, but if it’s good enough for Krishna it’s got to be good!

12. January 31, 2014 at 12:37 PM

That’s an interesting dessert,a dessert with bay leaf,am tempted to try,thx for sharing