How to crack Quail eggs the easy way

Quail eggs

I started cooking quail eggs a few years ago because for some reason those were the only eggs Junior would eat. He ‘hated’ eggs, but quail eggs, it seems, did not fall into that category. I didn’t mind, because quail eggs, while being almost five times less in weight than a chicken egg, has double the nutrients packed into its tiny casing.

As anyone who cooks quail eggs will tell you, cracking them can be challenging and messy. ChgoJohn from The Bartolini’s kitchen one day spoke about this on his blog, and I realized that I wasn’t the only one who had struggled to get this right. It was always a struggle to get the eggs out right, and often lost a few in the process because the shells are tough, leathery, don’t come apart easily and often crumble, making a mess with the white and the yolk, rendering it inedible.

So one day, I picked a craft scissors, and went to work. Ever since, I have never, ever had any trouble cracking a quail egg. But I never thought of blogging about it until that post of ChgoJohn (thanks ChgoJohn for the idea).  And I searched Google before I started this post, and as of today, Jan 24th 2014,I have not seen this way of cracking eggs posted anywhere. So this probably is a first. Makes me happy as a quail egg done right :D

With all that shameless plugging behind, lets get onto it.

You need:

Quail eggs

A bowl

A craft scissors (small scissors, preferable with sharp end, though blunt ones work fine too).

To start, holding the egg at its flat bottom, tap the egg gently towards the tapering part of the egg with the end of the scissor.  A slight crack will appear. Using the end of the scissor, gently push the shell inside to create a puncture.

How to crack a Quail egg

Once the scissor takes hold, start cutting it in a circle making a cap.

How to crack a quail egg

A Quail egg shell is like a leathery cloth, tough, but flexible. It does not break as normal chicken eggs do, as it is quite elastic, but cutting it is easy.

How to crack a Quail egg

Cut it like you would a cap.

How to crack a Quail egg

Throw the ‘cap’ away.It will leave behind a ‘cup’ holding the egg.

How to crack a Quail egg

Invert in into a pan with a little oil in it.
How to crack a Quail eggHow to crack a Quail egg

How to crack a Quail egg

Slide them over the food of your choice and eat. Note: to make perfect white rounds, slide them into a tiny bowl and then gently transfer to pan. I didn’t, so the shapes are all over the place. Too much work, hahaha!

How to crack a Quail egg

How to crack a Quail egg

See the yellow soupy thing in the plate in this picture? That is my favorite dal – Mushur dal. Red lentils with five seasoning spices – paanch phoron. Coming soon.

Check out another of my very popular dishes made with Quail eggs:

Egg topped cheese pizza

quail egg cheese pizza

13 comments for “How to crack Quail eggs the easy way

1. January 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Well, aren’t you the clever one. Quail eggs have always been a mess to me :)
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Apple Dumpling ScrollsMy Profile

2. linsy
    January 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM

It’s look so cute. I guess perfect size to top up any siup or break fast.

3. Quynh
    January 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Thanks for the tips!

4. January 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

These are eaten! :-O Mujhe to pata bhi nahi thha.
    Bhaskar recently posted..Few random thoughts…..My Profile

5. January 25, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Aaaaah, patience….something I’m not good at, at all!! Well done, my dear! Perfect quail eggs. I will remember since quail eggs are on my list to master.
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Blood Orange and Ricotta TartMy Profile

6. January 26, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Wow, brilliant post! I’ve done literally nothing with quail eggs, in large part because they’re such a pain to work with. You’ve solved that! Super stuff — thanks so much.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Meat and Potatoes ChiliMy Profile

7. January 30, 2014 at 6:27 AM

This is fantastic! Thanks so much for letting me know how it’s done. I’ve always had a lot of trouble and more than half the eggs I buy are wasted as I try to work out how to deal with them. Mostly, to avoid the waste, I boil them and add them to salads as they seem more manageable this way. I’ll try you method! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Dravuni Island, FijiMy Profile

8. February 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I love quail eggs! It’s much easier to buy quail eggs in Japan, but here I don’t see it everywhere. And this tutorial is an eye opening one! I’m definitely going to try this!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Nabeyaki Udon 鍋焼きうどんMy Profile

9. February 7, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Who’d have thought?! Like Charlie from Hotly Spiced I usually just boil them it seemed an easier way to solve the problem. I have to try this method. Thank you GG

10. February 8, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Genius! This is great, Minnie. You’ve just made every recipe with quail eggs so much easier. Thanks for the shout out and I edited my post to include a link back to this post. People need to know this! :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Roasted Mackerel with Potatoes and TomatoesMy Profile

• February 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Thank you John, you are an absolute dear and the most wonderful one at that!