Mustard Chicken from Ina Kitchen #InaFridays

Mustard chicken 4

Wednesday we had snow day, thanks to the 14th snowstorm of this winter that still has some distance to go. It royally messed up the week. Some of my friends felt it was Monday again, while I was totally zoned out, mistaking Thursday for Wednesday, as if the snow day never happened and hastened the week along. It wasn’t necessarily bad, just that I missed my grocery day and had to play catch up today.

Mustard chicken 2

That meant everything got delayed. We are invited to a birthday party this weekend, two sisters, the younger is turning one and the older, thirteen. I had to shop for gifts for the girls, and being the mother of two boys, it isn’t the easiest of things.

Mustard chicken 7

Still, shopping for girls is still easier as there are a lot of choices out there. I have hard time shopping for my own teen son, let alone shop for other boys for the same age group. So gifts for them often mean requests of electronics things whose uses are difficult for me to comprehend. Much easier to go and shop for a stylish looking purse I tell you!

Mustard chicken 6

It’s Ina Friday again and this time it’s main course. I made some chicken in mustard sauce.I made this for the first time, and while I liked it fair enough, it is not one of my top favorites from Ina’s Kitchen. Next time, I am going to try make some changes to see if it’s more to my taste.

Mustard chicken 3

Adapted from Food Network, UK, Ina Garten recipes

Mustard Chicken from Ina Kitchen #InaFridays

• 2 whole chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
  • Good olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 140g broccoli florets
  • 350g good mayonnaise
  • 30ml dry white wine
  • 60g Dijon mustard
  • 45g whole-grain mustard
  • 5g minced fresh tarragon leaves
  • 150g cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  1. Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan, rub olive oil all over, and sprinkle salt and pepper. Set the oven to preheat at 350 F. Let the chicken sit while the oven preheats.
  2. Roast the chicken for about 35-40 minutes till just cooked. Cool, and discard the bones and skin. Dice the chicken into bite size squares.,
  3. Immerse broccoli in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and dip into ice water. The broccoli will stay tender but crisp and retain its bright green color.
  4. Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, wine, mustards, 1 tbsp salt and ½ tsp pepper.
  5. Toss the diced chicken with sauce so that the pieces are nicely coated and moistened.
  6. Combine the moistened chicken pieces with tarragon, broccoli and tomatoes and mix gently to combine.
  7. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend . Serve at room temperature.

Mustard chicken 5

I am a part of this wonderful group who blog a dish from Ina Garten’s vast repertoire of dishes on the first Friday of every month.

I dedicate this post to our fellow Ina Friday blogger Chaya from Bizzy Bakes who is going through possibly the most difficult time of her life. Losing a child is the worst thing that can happen to a human being, and Chaya lost her daughter recently, right after her grandson got married. So even while she celebrates the joy in her grandson’s life, she struggles to come to terms with a loss that is a mother’s worse nightmare. I can only share something that touched my heart, for I have witnessed the struggle that a parent goes through during such a time, and nothing really makes sense, or even makes a difference, other than the thought that their loved one is looking down upon in peace, and is a happy soul somewhere.

a prayer

15 comments for “Mustard Chicken from Ina Kitchen #InaFridays

1. February 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM

No snow days over here but I sure could make room for this glorious chicken dish!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Thermomix Sultana BreadMy Profile

• February 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Thanks so much Maureen!!

2. February 8, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I must make this sometime….looks delicious :)
    Smita recently posted..Almond Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

3. February 8, 2014 at 4:22 AM

Too bad to hear the chicken didn’t turn out as well as you’d hoped! It sure looks good. I love mustard (my husband thinks I’m crazy), tomatoes, and broccoli, so I was really hoping you’d say this recipe was amazing because I was going to bookmark it to make for some later Ina Friday :D What would you change about it to make it better?

• February 8, 2014 at 11:02 AM

You know, I am not too big a fan of mustard sauces on the go, and the combo of white wine and mustard probably was too strong for me. But if you love mustard, go for it. Next time, I am probably going to reduce the quantity of mustard sauces and maybe even toss them in some oil after I add the mustard. I do loved cooked mustard, so that could be it.
      Minnie recently posted..Mustard Chicken from Ina Kitchen #InaFridaysMy Profile

4. February 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM

GOD give strength to her to overcome this sorrow, we been thru this, my sister in law passed away after giving birth to daughter and those years were really painful. I also don’t like too strong mustard flavor, but outcome looks amazing.
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Triple Berry MuffinMy Profile

5. February 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Haha definitely shopping for girls is so much easier :D
    My guy friends birthdays are my most stressful period!
    Lovely chicken dish, it looks so succulent and flavoursome!

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..A Quiet PostMy Profile

6. February 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM

This sounds easy for me and I can make only vegie, without the chicken. But woh dijon mustard, what’s that?

7. February 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Nice post and chicken with musturd different recipe
    jaleelakamal recently posted..Sweet Corn Carrot Soup with OreganoMy Profile

8. February 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

We’ve had way too much snow this year too. It’s snowing right now! Yuck. I gotta make this so I’ll feel better! What a great dish! Thanks.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Boca Negra CakeMy Profile

9. February 10, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Looks absolutely delicious.
    Sanoli Ghosh recently posted..METE PEYAJKOLI (STIR-FRIED MUTTON LIVER WITH ONION GREENS)My Profile

10. February 10, 2014 at 4:55 PM

This looks so good! I’ve never tried this one!

11. February 12, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Gosh I had forgotten about this dish. I had made something similar 4 years ago. lol Maybe it’s time to give it a try again by cooking your mustard chicken. It just looks perfect! (btw your photos look great Minni!)

12. February 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I’m so sorry this wasn’t up to par… I’m wondering if it doesn’t need some crushed red pepper…or some other heat. Sriracha? It would be good to take for a picnic, but probably not in the snow! Stay warm…