Mushroom and grape tomato bruschetta

bruschetta showcase

I was at the coffee vending machine, filling my Styrofoam cup with aromatic coffee and a generous shot of half and half, when a gentleman right behind me exclaimed. ‘Did you take my cart?’

Startled, I looked back, just as the coffee was about to spill over. Just in time, I let go of the coffee dispensing lever, and saved my hand from getting scalded over. Turning, I gave the gentleman peering into my cart full attention.

bruschetta lined up

‘I think you took may cart,’ he stated with confidence. Annoyed, I walked over to where I had parked the now-under-discussion cart, and peered in. ‘It’s my…’ I began. Then my eyes locked in on a big box of adult diapers, and at least half a dozen pack of cigarettes, sitting right at the bottom of a lot of other stuff I had picked up from nearby aisles. I almost went cross eyed.

As far as I knew, no one at my house has started wearing adult diapers yet, and I definitely do not ever buy cigarette packets. It was not my cart, though it did have a lot of stuff that I had picked up from the isles right before I took my coffee. Obviously, I had somehow mistaken this gentleman’s cart for my own, and piled on my stuff, and alarmed at having lost his cart, the old guy had hunted me down.

bruschetta flavors

Feeling foolish, I babbled a lot of apologetic words before I set out to hunt for my cart. It was at least two isles down, sitting idle in one corner. I brought it back and we began sorting out his cart and transfer to mine. We both realized that we had picked up a lot of stuff in common, hence the confusion. The gentleman was quite sweet about it, though I am sure he thought I was a nitwit.

Amongst the things that were common were a large pack of pretty grape tomatoes, sitting on the baby carriage part of the cart.

bruschetta mushroom

Stepping into a Whole Foods store feels like you like stepping into a fresh food heaven. The blooming vegetables call out for your name, the aroma of their carefully crafted cheese or even freshly cooked and served buffet tantalize your senses as the aromatic flavors waft through the air.

I just love roaming the isles, though I don’t always end up buying a lot, as the same brand stuff can cost at least 30% less in the stores down the road from it. Still, some things should only be bought from stores like Whole Foods or Trader’s Joe. For example, freshly baked garlic bread, or even organic mushrooms.

mushrooms

I found some fresh, organic Shiitake mushrooms that were priced to high in the heavens. Still, I could not but resist pick one long delectable looking fungus. And of course, my personal favorite portobello mushrooms. And with some grape tomatoes in hand that I had picked up from the other store earlier, I already knew what I was going to make. Picking up a freshly baked garlic bread was all that I needed to make a heavenly tasting bruschetta.

bruschetta on a plate

You can make this either on a garlic bread, or simply toast a bread of your choice with some butter on it, and then rub a piece of raw garlic well on the toast.

On pre-toasted garlic bread:

bruschetta garlic bread

bruschetta cheese & mushroom and tomatoes

bruschetta baked

bruschetta served

Regular bread (I used cibatta)

bruschetta yumm

Mushroom and grape tomato bruschetta

• Bread of your choice - 8 pieces
  • Mushrooms (whole white, portobello,shiitake, cremini: any or a mixture of all) - 3 cups
  • grape tomatoes - 1 cup
  • Garlic chopped 1 tsp
  • Olive oil (EVOO) 1 tbsp
  • Balsamic Vinegar - 1 tbsp
  • Red chili flakes (optional) - ½ tsp
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
  • Fresh cilantro leaves - chopped half cup (optional)
  • Red onions - chopped 2 tbsp (optional)
  • Mozzarella cheese - 1 cup divided
  • Butter (if needed)
  • 1 extra clove of garlic (if needed)
  1. Wipe with a clean cloth and chop the mushrooms into bite size pieces
  2. slice the grape tomatoes into halves
  3. Heat oil and fry chopped garlic
  4. Add mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes till glossy
  5. Add the tomatoes, red chili flakes, salt.
  6. Fry for another 3-4 minutes till tomatoes start turning soft.
  7. Stir in chopped basil leaves and stir for another minute.
  8. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and pepper. Cook for another minutes and take off the stove.
Assemble
  1. Take a sliced loaf of garlic bread
  2. Spread mozzarella
  3. Pile the mushrooms and tomatoes generously
  4. Sprinkle red onions, cilantro and some more mozzarella
  5. Toast till the cheese is all melted. You can broil for 2 minutes, but make sure the bread is not burnt.
If using regular sliced bread
  1. Spread butter on the slice and toast the bread till just about warm.
  2. Rub the clove of raw garlic well all over the warm buttered bread.
  3. Spread mozzarella, pile the mushrooms and onions, red onions and cilantro
  4. Put it back in the toaster over and toast till the cheese is all melted.
  5. Serve immediately.

Edit: I had put in ‘cherry’ tomatoes in the header instead of grape tomatoes. I have corrected it. Grape tomatoes are similar to plum tomatoes in taste, but have lower water content, and have thicker skin that works well with the breads. However, you can use any kind of tomatoes that you like in case you don’t get grape tomatoes.

15 comments for “Mushroom and grape tomato bruschetta

1. February 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Thank Goodness he was a nice fella and that you noticed it wasn’t your cart before you said something to him. Now you have a nice story to share !!

Smokin good Bruschettas. Love the char!
    Ansh | Spiceroots recently posted..Bhindi Gosht – Meat with OkraMy Profile

2. February 19, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Haha at least he was so nice about it – mistakes happen :P
    Especially if coffee has not been had I have heard!
    And I love your bruschetta today – it looks absolutely incredible! :D
    Delicious looking photos!

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Risky BusinessMy Profile

3. February 19, 2014 at 3:38 AM

LOL poor old thing having to sort out his undies. You should have gotten his address and given him a few of these gorgeous bruschetta. :) I cracked up at this post.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Insanely Good WafflesMy Profile

4. j
    February 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I’ve had that happen to me before! I’ve never been one to take the cart, but mine’s been taken. It’s so easy to do. Anyway, wonderful bruschetta. Great flavors, and looks so terrific. Good stuff — thanks.
    j recently posted..Italian Celery and Mushroom SaladMy Profile

5. February 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Look at that gorgeous bruschetta! And I had to giggle about the adult diapers. I thought Minnie, is there something you’re not telling us? ;)

6. February 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Ha ha … at least he was a nice old gentleman! Mmmm the bruscetta does look very scrumptious.
    Cheers,
    J
    Judit @ WineDineDaily recently posted..Best Macaroni & CheeseMy Profile

7. February 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM

that’s funny, I never loose a sight of my carts anywhere. because sometimes my kids are in it so . this looks so tempting, I will buy this ingredients in summer from farmer’s market and make it,
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Soya Aloo Matar / Soya Potato Green Peas CurryMy Profile

8. February 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I see pictures of over cooked toasted garlic bread, is it normal? or that’s really it is when done?
    Edward B. Nash recently posted..Hello world!My Profile

9. February 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM

You were lucky you took the cart of a nice person. I mistaken took someone else’s cart once and the woman was not very nice about it. Those mushrooms are huge!!!! I bet they taste wonderful with the tomatoes and on top of this bread. What a delicious looking bruschetta! I’d be happy to have a couple of these to lunch any day of the week.
    mjskit recently posted..Green Chile Chicken Mushroom SoupMy Profile

10. February 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM

You have the funniest stories! Good thing you guys worked it out. Lovely bruschetta! Loving the flavours and the colours, looks beautiful!
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Pomegranate TartletsMy Profile

11. February 22, 2014 at 6:57 AM

My face would have turned red and it would have haunted me the whole day long. lol
    Things like that seem to happen to me frequently too.
    anyway… I fell in love with your bruschetta at first sight. So wish I could take a bite right now!
    Helene D’Souza recently posted..Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pasta and PizzaMy Profile

12. February 25, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Oh, Minnie. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve grabbed the wrong shopping cart or had mine inadvertently “stolen” by another shopper. When I get my own cart back again, I give it a good going over to make sure I’m not embarrassed by some object at checkout time.
    Your bruschetta look fantastic! Using grape tomatoes is such a good idea this time of year, when good-tasting “regular” tomatoes are hard to find, if at all.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Mom’s Tuna Noodle CasseroleMy Profile

13. February 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I too recently was in the same situation as u .I took another guys cart and he kindly asked me to remove the items that i filled in his cart .That was a very difficult time ,I know.
    coming to the bruschetta, love these garlicky flavoured bruschetta with little organic mushrooms in it.
    sathyapriya recently posted..Snake Gourd Curry/Easy SideDish Recipe/புடலங்காய் துவட்டல்My Profile

14. February 26, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Well, at least you didn’t make it to the checkout with all his stuff! :D

Lovely looking bruschetta Minnie – makes me look forward to Summer!
    Charles recently posted..Typically Swedish: SurströmmingMy Profile