Chipotle and lime avocado taco boats

spicy chili lime shrimps

I had posted a picture on my FB page of my younger son having a sleepover birthday party a few years ago. Along with it, I had posted a comment on how it’s really simple to have the boys for a sleepover party – all they need is a movie, some good pizza and the latest toys. And once they are done, they simply drop like ninepins. To which, my best friend, mother of two daughters same age as my sons, replied thus:

“Ok girls would need…your clothes,your sandles,your lipsticks,jewellry n what have you…plus you’ve got to dress them up and not to forget the compliments…and dont u dare you compliments their friends.Of course when they’re older then just need gorgeous hunks for neighbours!!!”

spicy taco bites
I don’t have daughters, so I am going to assume she is the expert ( though going by what my memories of myself as a little girl tell me, I rather think she is bang on target). However, what I do know that when the boys reach the teenage years, they also need a LOT of food, and great tasting food at that. Along with pizza of course. They will also tear a dish apart if they don’t like it, and guzzle tons of soda to ‘wash’ all that food down. If they really like something, they also will tend to hog it all by themselves. They are truly led by their tummy. And of course, never clean up after themselves.

chili limeavocado taco boats

This taco snack is one of those dishes that they tend to appropriate by trays, with no intention to share with anyone. The following quantity will entertain a party of 6 adults and be just a ‘bite’ for two teenage boys.

I found this on pinterest when searching for avocado recipes…remember how I had mentioned here that avocados have made a late entry but now they are totally overtaken the love factor in my kitchen? The recipe called for baking the shrimps, but I changed to pan sauteing them. Other than that I pretty much followed the recipe, and of course added a bit more chipotle peppers to the sour cream. Worked perfect.

chili lime shrimps in taco boats

Chipotle and lime avocado taco boats

• 24 large raw shrimps, peels and tails removed
  • non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray
  • 1 tsp salt, divided
  • 1 tsp grated lime zest, + juice 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 large avocado, diced
  • ⅓ cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, finely minced
  • 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
  • 24 tortilla chip scoops
  1. Combine ½ tsp salt, lime zest, and chili powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle all over the raw shrimp and coat well
  2. Heat a non stick pan with oil spray and saute the shrimps, typically 3-4 minutes each side, until pink and the tails are curled in.
  3. Meanwhile combine the diced avocado, lime juice and remaining ½ tsp salt in a small bowl.
  4. Combine the sour cream and minced chipotle pepper in a different small bowl. Adobo sauce can be sticky and thick, so make sure you get more of the chili and less of the sauce.
To assemble:
  1. Assemble your shrimp taco bites by placing a tsp of avocado mixture in a tortilla chip, followed by a ½ tsp of sour cream mixture, then top with a chili-lime shrimp.
  2. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
  3. *Note: You can replace the shrimps with fish, scallops or even tofu and they work beautifully.

cilantro chipotle taco bites

So tell me dear readers, do you think boys and girls react differently to situations? Do you have experiences that are different?

10 comments for “Chipotle and lime avocado taco boats

1. March 6, 2014 at 12:47 AM

I know the boys will love these things but hey, spare a thought for a little old lady, please. Save a tray for me – not to be shared! :)
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Vietnamese Grilled Pork Patty Skewers (Nem Nuong)My Profile

2. March 6, 2014 at 3:01 AM

Hahaha! I have a boy and girl, so I guess I’d go through both one day…I’m not so much of a girly girl (but my daughter is – who’s gene is this??) so I’ll be in trouble! I won’t be able to relate or help. LOL. Taco boats – what a great idea! Looks so delicious, too!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Taiwan Trip 2014 Vol. 2My Profile

3. Linsy Patel
    March 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM

even my kids love to eat whole day , so I can understand , well I have few years to go before they pig out. love this idea. ofcourse for me without shrimp, they love Doritos so I can use that.

4. March 7, 2014 at 12:12 AM

I have 3 teenage girls and Laith, he’s the youngest. As far as messiness, boys and girls are no different. My girls are horrible mess makers. I think school life is very hard these days for girls. Too much stress, social media makes it worse, they think too much about what others think of them. I honestly find that their school experience is nothing like mine, I had so much fun at school.
    As far as food, mine eat a little but often. Waiting to see how Laith will be as he reaches his teens!
    These look fabulous! Love the avocado and esp with the lime. Yum!
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Blood Orange SherbetMy Profile

5. Liz
    March 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I’ve been through it with both, and I do recall running out of homemade treats quickly when my youngest had his friends spend the night. We had to dig out a couple gallons of ice cream to appease them! I don’t think I ever made anything as gourmet as your shrimp boats for them…but if I did, I’d have to snatch a few for myself before serving the boys!

6. March 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I love the look of these boats – gorgeous and I love avocado so I should definitely make these. Pinterest is so good for inspiration, isn’t it. We’ve just had my sons 9th birthday party – I’m so glad that’s all over for another year! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Shark Attack Birthday CakeMy Profile

7. March 9, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I love this. I really enjoy chipotle, so I know I will love this recipe, with my entire family. Such adorable boats!

8. March 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Love this little snack!! Chipotle ….YUM!!!! Great recipe and what a presentation. Would look lovely on a party table.
    mjskit recently posted..Chile de Arbol Pecan SauceMy Profile

9. March 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I’ve no answer whether boys and girls act differently. Memories of my own childhood are fading, though I do seem to recall being a rather perfect child. :)
    Your taco boats sound terrific, Minne, and would be a hit no matter where they’re served and to whom. They’d disappear in a flash.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Gluten-Free Chocolate TorteMy Profile

10. March 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Those ‘tortilla chip scoops’ look like the star of the show for me- I’ve never seen them in stores in Australia before- they are definitely cute!