Dal Tadka dhaba style

dal tadka3

Few posts ago, I wrote about how to make ‘roti/chappati’ at home. I posted a picture of dal tadka there with a promise to come back with the recipe.

Thing have been on the crazier side since. Not that it never is, but a bit more so as hubby is out of country visiting his sister, my beautiful sister-in-law Shundori in Dubai. As a result, a lot of my time goes in Skype, as I don’t want to miss out on any of the juicy fun conversations that a family reunion always has.

dal tadka2

Combined with my trying to settle down in a new job, and my sons’ Spring vacation, my hands have been rather full. Good thing is all the Sports activities have been put on hold due to the vacation, Easter and Passover, and hence a bit of a breathing space as I don’t have to ferry them much on top of everything.

dal close up

We did catch up ‘Captain America and the Winter Soldier’. It’s a lovely movie, and Captain America, all of 95 years, is a true eye candy. Is something brewing between him and Black Widow? While their ‘kiss’ was possibly the most uninspiring one filmed in the entire series, Black Widow and Captain America’s chemistry sparkles. I must say they do look cute together.That would be interesting. The story wasn’t bad either, and the ‘Winter soldier’ looks rather sexy. However, I missed Stark. While he was mentioned at least half a dozen times in the movie, surpisingly he wasn’t called even when one of the greatest hack of the computer system was taking place. Hello? Shied’s computer gets compromised and Stark is no where to be seen? A bit far fetched. But I guess our dear Iron Man has a way of taking over the entire movie the moment he walks in, so they probably thought to let Captain Rogers do everything that could possibly be done.

dal_roti

All in all an enjoyable Mon and sons evening. Go catch the movie if you are a fan of eye-candies/soft thrillers/sci-fi/superheroes/gorgeous-hunks/jaw-dropping stunts/ etc.

Did I mention I did a Pampered Chef party in the midst of all this? That’s coming soon.

Meanwhile, this dal is relatively an easy one and delicious to boot.

dal tadka1

It’s authentic Indian too. One can find this dal at the road side eateries lined up by the roads of northern India. Thes little informal eateries make piping hot food right in front of you and honestly it’s the best Indian tasting food one can get.

dal tadka

• 1¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp ghee
Tempering
  • ¼ cup oil (or about 4tbsp. You can add less and it's fine too)
  • 2 dry red chilies
  • 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
  • a pinch asaphetida (hing)
  • 1 heaped tsp red chili powder
  1. Wash and soak the chana dal for 30 minutes
  2. When ready to cook, drain the water. Wash tuvar and mung beans too and keep aside
  3. In a pressure cooker, boil the dal with turmeric, tsp oil, salt and 3 cups of water. Before putting on the lid, let the dal start boiling. When the scum forms, skim and throw it and then put the lid on. Pressue cook for 5 minutes and let it cool.
  4. Release the pressure, and check if the dal is soft if not, cook it for another 3-4 minutes. The dal should be soft but not gooey.
  5. In a separate pan, heat ghee and add bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Pour dal. Add the remaining cup of water and bring it to boil. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till soft. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Temper:
  1. In a laddle, heat 2-4 tbsp oil (I used about 4, or ¼ cup because, well, sinful food is that, sinful). Add the red chilies and let them darken. Then add asafetida and cumin seeds. Swtich off the flame and now add the red chili powder. Mix well and pour the oil all over the garnished dal. It will make a crackling noise. Cover and keep for one minute and then serve.

Note: If you don’t have presssure cooker, don’t fret. Boil the dal in a deep pan for about 1 hr minutes on the low, and make sure you keep removing the scum that rises on top. Stir and mash the dal every 15-20 minutes and add water if needed.
Note: The red chili powder should be added after switching off the flame while tempering. That will help retain its color and flavor.
Note: Many people don’t season it before tempering but I prefer it that way, else I find the taste of the dal too ‘boiled’ for lack of a better description.

dal roti

26 comments for “Dal Tadka dhaba style

1. linsy
    April 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Since that picture I wanted to know how much oil you put in tadka, seriously, Now I know. Thick dal and mashed roti in it and eating with your hands, heaven. Need to say more?

• April 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM

hahaha!! When you make the dal on the whole, it looks like this. Once you mix it, it doesnt show that much. For the picture, I tried not mixing it as much.
      Minnie recently posted..Dal Tadka dhaba styleMy Profile

2. April 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Hi minnie i m trying to resume my food blog so at times i m just hopping here there
    when i saw this post come in my email via subscriber list i thought let me check how minnie has made it

this looks yummy
    my way is slight different
    i have made a dal but kept in draft wud keep some posts ready then start food blog all over again
    btw u wrote 1/4 cup oil
    do we use tht much oil

and ya in the mean time i hv another blog compiling of lists
    wud love to try ur version soon
    meena recently posted..Top ten places to visit in IndiaMy Profile

• April 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Hey Meena, so good to see you!!

Great question! But then this is dhaba style, hence the oil :)

1/4 cup is actually about 4tbs. We use ‘karchi’ for tempering, and we often end up taking that much, give or take some. I seldom make dal this way, but when I make this one, this is how I make it. I will edit and add that you can use less if you want to.
      Minnie recently posted..Dal Tadka dhaba styleMy Profile

3. April 23, 2014 at 3:45 AM

My, you have been busy, Minnie! This looks delicious, especially the photo of the roti that’s been dipped into the dal. Mmm. Although I doubt that I’ll make this anytime soon, I will look for it on menus when I go out. Who knows? I may end up making it sooner than I now think. :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Roasted Vegetable Salad with HarissaMy Profile

4. April 23, 2014 at 5:24 AM

This Dahl looks so delicious, really colourful. I love dahl but often struggle to find recipes. I’ve bookmarked this to make later. GG

5. April 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I love dal! I usually use only one variety of dal, though, rather than a mix like this calls for. I should do this — it sounds wonderful. I haven’t seen that movie yet, but am looking forward to it. Thanks for the recap — sounds like fun. Good post — thanks.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Homemade Deviled HamMy Profile

• April 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Thanks John! I think I should be posting more dals. There are so many ways we cook it, and a with a variety of temperings too.
      Minnie recently posted..Dal Tadka dhaba styleMy Profile

6. April 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I hope the new job is working out well. But what a shame you weren’t able to also go to Dubai to catch up on all the family fun. It sounds like you’ve had a very full Spring vacation even if you haven’t been able to go away. I love the look of your dahl dish. It looks like a great vegetarian dish that’s full of flavour. I’ll look forward to trying this and will try to make your bread as well xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Easter SundayMy Profile

• April 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM

So far I am enjoying it, as it is with almost all new jobs :) I did miss the outing to Dubai, but maybe soon, again sometime. Thanks Charlie! Hope you like it :)
      Minnie recently posted..Dal Tadka dhaba styleMy Profile

7. April 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Life gets hectic when husband is out of country (longer days!).. Skype is nice, but I’m sure you wanted to be there! This looks spicy delicious! :) Great with homemade chappati!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Family Fun in San Luis ObispoMy Profile

8. April 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM

You are a busy one. Congratulations on your new job, too.
    It’s a good thing you have a pressure cooker. It’s a great time saving invention.
    The dal looks very yummy!
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Nothin’ Says Spring Better ‘n Berries ‘n Cream!My Profile

9. April 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM

I absolutely love dahl and this looks bursting full of flavour Minnie!

10. April 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I cooked this today and its absolutely yummy! Nothing like usual tadka daal we have in dhabas or resturants. Its too good. :-D And I made sure to follow everything just as you asked to, except that I added less chilli. Woh mana hain na khana isliye.

Its easy yet too tasty!!! :-D :-D

• April 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Awww…thank you bro….that was the sweetest thing to say. The mini tadka of ghee helps spice up the otherwise bland dal, and then the actual tadka adds the zing.

11. April 25, 2014 at 10:53 PM

How could I resist a dish with so much spice and chile peppers resting on top. My mouth is watering right now. Lovely pictures!
    mjskit recently posted..Fenugreek Fish and Clam BisqueMy Profile

12. April 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM

I don’t eat daal everyday but when I do make it, I like to put enough oil for the tempering too! Besides, it all gets mixed in eventually. When you posted this on FB, oh I was craving daal. I even made some the next day after seeing your photo :) Lovely recipe!
    Just a FYI, in the comic books, Captain America ends up with Agent 13 (the nurse/agent) she is supposed to be Peggy Carters granddaughter. Black Widow has a thing with Hawkeye. Thought you’d be interested…I’m married to the biggest comic book nerd ever, you get to know such things :)
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Apple and Rhubarb GaletteMy Profile

• April 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM

He does?? I did like her….the Peggy angle is interesting. But I do like him better with Black Widow….maybe they change it across? lol!!! Sigh!! The eternal romantic, hahaha! I am glad they got Spark together with Pepper. They rock the chemistry too.
      Minnie recently posted..Dal Tadka dhaba styleMy Profile

13. April 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM

That’s a very gud preparation n tempting.