Creamy fruit pot

goodness in a jar

I abhor lizards. They give me creeps. I am not afraid of them. Just find them yucky enough that I can pick one and throw it into space and not feel guilty about it.

When I was growing up, there was no escaping the house lizards or the common house gecko. We called them ‘chipkali’ in Hindi and ‘tik-tiki’ in Bengali. They were everywhere, on every wall, behind every picture frame, even hanging on curtains. Lizards are territorial, so every house had its own share of them, but they never over crowd to be fair. But it was very difficult to get a house rid of them, they simply crawled back in, searching for bugs that can be found every light bulb, especially during the summer months.

I was also fascinated by them. When an invading lizard roaches on the resident lizard’s space, they make weird static warning noises, three in count, before chasing the intruder away. Sometimes they snip off the tail of the intruder in an apparent sign of victory (or the losing lizard leaves a part of his tail behind to escape, or simply because it’s alarmed). We coud watch that play for hours in horrid fascination.

yogurt pot closeup1

One would think growing up with them would make one develop some empathy. Well, I have empathy, as long as they are not in my space.

I did feel a lot of empathy for one particular gecko. My Father-in-law and I had just started on our breakfast on beautiful morning. I started on the tea and juice, while he inserted bread into the toaster. We waited for the bread to pop up while we started on sipping the tea and our round of daily chit chat.

You know where I am going with this, right? Out popped the bread. With a lizard meal. Toasted.

Ewwwwwwww.

I can still feel the shudders. I was pregnant. Threw up. My poor FIL threw the toaster out. Our breakfast for that morning was done.

Let’s think of a breakfast that’s nice and chilled out instead. Like this yogurt fruit pot blended whipped with a deliciousness of Agave Nectar. It’s creamy, with a bit of a smoky sweetness from agave, and fruits. Whipped up right in my kitchen.

fruit and yogurt

Yogurt fruit pot
Serves: 1-2

• 1 cup organic yogurt/greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp Agave nectar
  • 1 cup of assorted fruits of your liking
  1. Whip the yogurt till smooth with Agave Nectar
  2. Transfer in a Mason jar
  3. Add fruits
  4. Serve

Note: You can put the lid on and store overnight. Grab one on your way out to office or have a jar ready for whenever you feel like snacking.

25 comments for “Creamy fruit pot

1. May 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

A simple dessert just mix and slurp
    Preetha recently posted..Chilli Onion Chutney – Easy Chutney for Idly/DosaMy Profile

2. May 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

One of the things I absolutely hated about visiting India! They’re also rampant in Houston….ugh!
    You made my stomach churn. I can’t eat breakfast now… Thanks. Hopefully I’ll forget soon and can enjoy a yoghurt pot :)
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Tres Leches CakeMy Profile

• May 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Haha! Sorry, but think of how this does not need to have any lizard in it ;-)
      Minnie recently posted..Creamy fruit potMy Profile

3. May 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Sounds like my kind of breakfast. Do you make your own yogurt?
    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits recently posted..Chai Tea BiryaniMy Profile

• May 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I do, but now a days I get Stonyfarm Organic which I love.
      Minnie recently posted..Creamy fruit potMy Profile

4. May 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh out loud at the toasted lizard but I did. I’d rather have this for breakfast anyway. :)
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Fabulously Fudgy BrowniesMy Profile

5. linsy
    May 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM

That’s one of the reasons I hated Florida, just like back home, lizards are every where. For such a delightful breakfast, why did you bring up this chipkali in between?

• May 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Bane of the tropics! Sorry, lol! I have a penchant for drama :D
      Minnie recently posted..Creamy fruit potMy Profile

6. May 24, 2014 at 7:22 AM

A toasted lizard? Sounds a bit scary :P I dont blame you!
    But I love your gorgeous fruit pot breakfast, who even needs toasters right?

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..CCU Undercover: Heston For Coles LaunchMy Profile

7. May 26, 2014 at 3:35 AM

I am scared of lizzards!!!! Really scared. If I see one on the wall, I loose track of everything around me. Arae they look like dynosours to me. At times they even act like one, attacking here and there. They scare me like anything hahaha.
    Bhaskar recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day to all Mothers!!My Profile

• May 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM

hehehehe! I am not scared, just repulsed.

8. May 28, 2014 at 12:58 AM

I love your jars and this fruit pot looks fantastic served in them. Oh dear, that poor gecko. I would have thrown the toaster out as well – I don’t think I could ever have put another slice of bread in it after that! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Rocket and Pomegranate SaladMy Profile

• May 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Thanks Charlie! I do love those jars :)

9. May 28, 2014 at 5:55 AM

So refreshing and fruity, perfect for the summer!
    Katerina recently posted..Greek Bean SaladMy Profile

• May 28, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Thank you so much!

10. May 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM

When we lived in Florida we had loads of lizards. Our cats used to bring them into the house and play with them. Not fun! What is fun, though, is this fruit pot. So, so nice — thanks.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..The Opera CocktailMy Profile

• May 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Thank you John :) We once had a cat who hunted them, and probably that was the only time ever that our house was free of lizards. Never played with them though, that’s even eww’er’.

11. May 28, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Omgggg! Yeah, I think I’d throw away a toaster too as you never want to know what happened in there! Aahhhhh! That’s one crazy story to tell and remember. :D Oh no, now I think about the toasted lizard more than your delicious creamy fruit pot. LOL.
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Hiroshima Okonomiyaki 広島風お好み焼きMy Profile

• May 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM

hahahahaha!! I sure don’t want to know either :D

12. May 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM

What a great idea! This would also work well on a dessert buffet!

• May 28, 2014 at 10:51 PM

True! I have used this in smaller jars, with fancy little Margerita umbrellas, and even the kids devoured it. I should post that one too sometime. Thanks so much!

13. May 28, 2014 at 11:25 PM

OMG nooooo! I don’t like lizards either and the idea of a toasted one fills me with dread!