Eton Mess on Independence day #InaFridays

eton mess pretty closeup

It’s Ina Friday again! And July 4th as well. Happy Independence Day USA!

Happy 4th
I decided to mix the two and come up with something stylishly July 4th – Ina’s Eton mess. The first time I came across Eton mess was at my friend Nazneen’s blog – her Eton Mess is incredible, strawberry filled goodness. I still have it in my bucket list.

eton mess close up
Meanwhile, I gave Ina’s Eton mess a try. Her recipe fits beautifully with the Independence Day theme, so it was but a natural choice to go for it. I am fond of raspberries and found it an interesting combo. The only thing I changed was skip the liqueur part – I’m not too fond of feeding liqueur desserts to my kids unless they are cooked – but the thing came out quite good.

Eton Mess

This is an easy dessert, and you can whip it up in a jiffy, which makes it amazingly easy to present as a party item. I have made some changes to the measurements as I wanted to make lesser quantity. For the original recipe, please click here.

Ina's Eton Mess on Independence day #InaFridays
Serves: 4

• 1 packages (12 oz) fresh raspberries, divided
  • ½ cups plus 8 tsp granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tsp tablespoons framboise liqueur (I skipped it)
  • 1 pint cold heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 5 to 6 (3-inch) bakery meringue shells, broken in pieces (for vegetarian option, use vanilla wafers)
  1. Pour ½ package of the raspberries, ¾ cups of the sugar, and the lemon juice into a 10-inch saute pan. Crush the berries lightly with a fork and bring the mixture to a full boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is syrupy. Fold the remaining of raspberries into the hot mixture and refrigerate until very cold. (You can add framboise liqueur at this point before refrigerating).
  2. In the bowl beat the cream, the remaining 8 tsp of sugar, and the vanilla together on medium-high speed until it forms firm peaks.
  3. In decorative glasses, layer the raspberry mixture, cream and the meringue shells until the glasses are full, ending with berries and a dollop of cream. Serve immediately or chill for an hour, until ready to serve.

eating the mess

I am a part of a wonderful group of bloggers, and we post an Ina Garten recipe every first Friday of the month. Alyce Morgan from More Time at the Table runs the show, and if you want to be a part of this group, please contact her.

being patriotic

16 comments for “Eton Mess on Independence day #InaFridays

1. July 5, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Eton mess!! Oh, how I love it! Thanks for the mention dear friend. This looks fabulous and perfect for July 4th activities (though Eton Mess is inherently British, I thought July 4th was anti British holiday ;) )
    You know, I have made this with all the different berries not just strawberries and it’s delicious with every one. One of my personal favourites is a blackberry one…oh my!
    Coffee and Crumpets recently posted..Dahi Ki Kadhi | Yoghurt Curry with Cauliflower FrittersMy Profile

2. Cheese with Noodles
    July 5, 2014 at 3:57 AM

YUM! That looks so good! The notion of sitting down to what is essentially a bowl of whipped cream (with a little fruit) is so appealing for some reason :D Looks like the wafers were a great addition!

3. July 5, 2014 at 5:08 AM

I love eton mess. It slides down my throat with ease, full of deliciousness!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Baked Alaska for the 4th of JulyMy Profile

4. July 5, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Happy 4th of July. I love Eton Mess. I make it quite often as it can so easily be thrown together at the last minute – it’s a life save for last minute entertaining. Your Eton mess looks gorgeous xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Berrima Court House and Berrima GaolMy Profile

5. July 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Love Eaton Mess, Minnie. Yours looks fab for the 4th. Beautiful colors!!
    Alyce Morgan recently posted..Ina Fridays — Desserts — Classic Cheesecake for the Fourth of JulyMy Profile

6. July 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Great Eton Mess, a very British dessert but with a lovely twist. I bet it’s lovely with raspberries, sweet and tart. GG

7. July 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM

it looks so creamy and good!
    dina recently posted..Weekend Whets 7/4–Happy 4th of July!My Profile

8. July 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM

This looks perfect for July 4th and for the summer weather.

Would you be kind enough to add my name to the list of participants?
    Chaya recently posted..Italian layered ZucchiniMy Profile

9. July 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Oh Yum!!!!! Yes please. And I love the coloured rim of your glassware too :)
    Emma @ PovoChef recently posted..Bombe AlaskaMy Profile

10. July 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Hope you’re having a wonderful holiday weekend! Is it just me who never had Eton Mess?! I’d love to try this! Looks so delicious!
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Berry Smoothie RecipeMy Profile

11. July 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Yummie! I definitely need to have it

12. July 6, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Looks delicious! I love Eton Mess.
    Megan recently posted..Chicken Caesar SlidersMy Profile

13. July 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM

This eton mess looks fantastic, I am so in love with this! :D

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..CCU Undercover: Sushi Train, Dee WhyMy Profile

14. July 7, 2014 at 11:47 PM

It doesn’t have to be a holiday to want to eat this! What a luscious treat!
    mjskit recently posted..Mixed Berry Pudding (aka Summer Pudding)My Profile

15. July 8, 2014 at 3:34 AM

what an awesome recipe for the fourth (or any day really). love a good eton mess. thanks for the recipe!
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted..July inspiration & musingsMy Profile

16. July 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I am so going to make this, its easy and yummy too. thanks for sharing.
    linsy patel recently posted..Koki – Sindhi Roti (Indian Flat Bread)My Profile