Petite Bites – Four Ingredients

Smoked salmon bites

Looking for a quick appetizer and want to impress as well? Go for some smoked salmon bites dressed with basil and goat cheese. I also experimented with Harissa as well as balsamic vinegar, but sons vetoed it.

This weekend was busy.  We dressed our backyard with pebbles and that took some effort. On Saturday evening we had a dinner party to attend to at a friend’s place who is the awesomest cook ever, but it was dark, and there were too many bugs outside in the yard, so that severely limited the photo ops. Mr L8H invited a colleague on Sunday afternoon who has adorable three kids, all of them wanted to make their residence inside our pool. Considering all were under the age of six and didn’t have gills for lungs, it didn’t seem too good an idea.

pool pleasures

Eventually the chill in the air forced them to change their mind (it’s chilly already, and this is supposed to be the height of summer). Evening it was dinner time with another friend.
on a plate
We need another weekend to recover from all the socializing. Meanwhile, we have a camping trip coming up this weekend, and we are totally tingled about it. We have never camped, so we are shopping like we are going to be there for a year instead of two days. Well, you can’t be prepared enough for it I guess.

Salmon Petite Bites - Four Ingredients
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2-3

• 12 Grape Tomatoes halved
  • 1 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
  • 5-6 fresh basil leaves shredded with hand
  • 12¼ inch smoked salmon pieces plus small pieces
  1. Using a pointed knife, clean out the seeds of the halved tomatoes.
  2. Insert a little piece of goat cheese, shredded basil and salmon.
  3. Serve on tasting spoons or on a tray with toothpicks.
Note: I added one ½ inch piece of salmon at the bottom for more salmony texture.

smoked salmon appetizer

Notes:

Use a very good quality smoked salmon and fresh basil.

Also, you can make this ahead of time and refrigerate. It stays good upto 6 hours.

If you don’t want to serve in tasting spoons, this works well with toothpicks too.

If you like it, would you please share it ?

This post has been linked to:

hunswhatsfordinner

14 comments for “Petite Bites – Four Ingredients

1. August 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM

How simple but delicious! I wish we had some pool weather 😛 Maybe in a month or two!
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Righetto Osteria Romana, HaberfieldMy Profile

2. August 12, 2014 at 12:59 AM

these look simple and delish. good work!:)
    sherry from sherryspickings recently posted..Stanthorpe getaway Part 1My Profile

3. August 12, 2014 at 4:18 AM

What a cute idea for snacks, these little bites look like fantastic appetisers 😀
    Your photos look extra classy!

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..CCU Undercover: Pukka Teas ReviewMy Profile

4. August 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM

These look really cute, perfect for canapes or a light appetizer. GG

5. August 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM

What a pretty appetiser. I do hope the camping goes well but the thing about camping is, you always need to take so much stuff. I can’t believe it’s getting cold already – didn’t it only just warm up? We’re have a very cold week so I thought you might be having the opposite extreme xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Slow-Cooked Beef Cheeks and…Nurses in FlightMy Profile

6. August 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM

OKAY YUM and SOOOO flipping easy!!! I love bites with the complete flavor pallet I am looking for… However, I would totally eat 5 million of these! LOL!
    GiGi Eats recently posted..Coho Salmon, An Oscar Winner… And More!My Profile

7. August 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Love that top picture! What great little bites these are — such great flavor. Gotta say, though, the Harissa and balsamic vinegar ones would have appealed to me, too. 😉 Good stuff — thanks.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Pasta CapreseMy Profile

8. August 14, 2014 at 8:23 AM

You have never camped?!? haha =D
    You are going to love it. WE jsut came back form camping trip in the austrian mountains. Pack a few torches, enough blankets and maybe a gas bottle. Oh and don’t forget a rainy coat. =D Can’t wait to read more about your camping trip in the US! In the meanwhile I ll just stare at your little bites because I eat with my eyes. 😉

9. August 15, 2014 at 6:45 AM

This looks so good! You’ll love camping and getting all jiggy with nature. Food is very important when camping. It just tastes better.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Massaman Curry PasteMy Profile

10. August 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM

i will make it 3 ingredients dish. love your presentation, spoons looks absolutely mast.
    Linsy Patel recently posted..Mango Lassi KulfiMy Profile

11. August 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

So how was your first camping experience? Are you hooked? Bobby and I have always loved to camp and backpack and just do anything out in the woods. I hope you enjoyed it. I know I will enjoy these smoked salmon caprese bites. I can taste them now! What a great idea!
    mjskit recently posted..The Quintessential Green Chile CheeseburgerMy Profile

12. August 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I love those serving spoons. How pretty! Great for parties. You went camping for the first time? That’s us this weekend. It’s first time camping with kids (we did on our own but not with the kids). It’s going to be interesting… 😀
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Coconut ShrimpMy Profile

13. August 31, 2014 at 11:02 AM

My cherry tomato plants are loaded right now and this is a great way to use some for an easy summer appetizer.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin With Mango Pineapple RelishMy Profile

14. September 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Love the tasting spoons and the presentation. Hope you have recovered from the camping trip !
    Ansh recently posted..French Lentil and Vegetable SoupMy Profile