Paneer tikka lababdar

Paneer Tikka

Paneer Tikka

I have just started Instagramming. For someone who is social media savvy, I am quite a slouch when it comes to using visual platforms. I’m learning.

Instagram Picture

One of the pictures (the one above) that became an instant hit was a paneer tikka I had cooked a few days ago.

Paneer Tikka is a vegetarian take off from its more popular cousin Chicken Tikka, but Paneer Tikka has its own fan following, and just not amongst the vegetarian crowd.

yumm paneer

One thing to remember about paneer is that over cooking will make it hard. To keep it soft and spongy, immerse in warm water until you are ready to cook it. That will help keep it moist. Then before slicing it, dry it thoroughly with paper towel.

marinated paneer

You can buy paneer blocks from any Indian store near you.

marinaded

So as promised, here is the recipe.

Paneer tikka lababdar

• 250 grams of paneer cubed 1" X ½" X ½" thick
  • 2 cups assorted red, green, yellow, orange bell peppers cut into 2" pieces
Marination
  • Juice of one Lemon
  • 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
  • 1 heaped tsp Turmeric Powder
  • 1 heaped tsp Chilli Powder
  • 1 heaped tsp Chaat Masala
  • ½ tbsp Amchur powder
  • 1 Tbsp Tandoori Masala (any tandoori masala will do. I used Shan's tandoori chicken masala)
  • 1 Tbsp Kasoori Methi crushed well
  • ½ cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • dash of freshly cracked pepper Pepper
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1 cup hung Yogurt whipped
  • ¼th cup heavy cream
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • ½ cup melted Butter to baste
  • Skewers soaked in water for 15 minutes.
  1. Squeeze lemon juice over the paneer and let it sit for 15 minutes.
  2. Mix all the marination ingredients, except for butter, together in a large box or ziploc.
  3. Fold in the paneer and the peppers
  4. Let the marinated paneer and peppers sit in the refrigerator for two hours to overnight. (6-8 hours is ideal, but if your short on time, two will do).
  5. Soak the skewers in water for 15-20 minutes.
  6. Thread the paneer and the capsicums in the skewers.
  7. Brush the melted butter generously over the skewers.
  8. Heat the over at 450º F
  9. Bake for 10 minutes.
  10. Take out and turn the skewers over, baste with rest of the butter.
  11. Bake for another 10 minutes.
  12. For the grill, wrap in foil and grill for 10 minutes, then grill without for another five, basting with butter to retain the moisture. Avoid direct flames.

20 comments for “Paneer tikka lababdar

1. March 12, 2015 at 7:21 PM

That looks so soft and delicious, Minnie! I’ll go check out your instagram. 🙂
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Glick DesignsMy Profile

• March 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Thanks so much Maureen. Btw I lost some comments from you – I have no clue why your comments are going to spam, I have to manually retrieve them, grrrrr! So sorry, it’s automated so I don’t have any way to figure out if genuine comments have been spammed (other than a very healthy hunch).

2. March 13, 2015 at 11:27 AM

This looks so good I think I’ll give it a try. Kya banega malum nahi. Tomorrow I get all ingredients and then try. Will mail you the picture jo bhi banega.
    Bhaskar recently posted..Happy birthday Didi.My Profile

• March 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM

I’ll wait for the verdict 😀

3. March 13, 2015 at 4:04 PM

I love paneer so this would be a winner for me! And so great to add to a meat barbecue to add something different that would suit vegetarians too!

4. March 14, 2015 at 1:28 AM

Tempting paneer tikka
    jaleelakamal recently posted..Sabudana and Sweet Corn SoupMy Profile

5. March 14, 2015 at 4:32 AM

The Paneer Tikkas look so so good Minnie. I can almost taste the tangy marinade. Yum

6. March 14, 2015 at 7:51 AM

Gosh, what is this instagram thing now? Never understood how these social networking things work.

I am not a huge fan of tikka but I love trying different things all the time (as far as eating is concerned and not cooking).

Your blog is a one stop source for all the recipes and we don’t have to look elsewhere for anything related to food 🙂
    debajyoti recently posted..A three minutes guide to bloggingMy Profile

• March 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM

That’s such a sweet thing to say! I wish I had so much more….I sometimes look at the files and see so many recipes languishing in my mind that never translate into words!
      Minnie recently posted..Vegetable Lucknawi dum biriyaniMy Profile

7. March 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM

I’ll try to find you on instagram. I love the look of your kebabs. I have never tried them with paneer, only chicken. I think I’ve been missing out on something. What great flavours xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Vegan Crackers and…Mr Easy-On-The-EyeMy Profile

• March 16, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Thanks Charlie. I’ll also try to be more active there. I know I can share a lot more than I am currently sharing.
      Minnie recently posted..Paneer tikka lababdarMy Profile

8. March 15, 2015 at 9:03 AM

This looks great! I am not familiar with this dish, and I am now totally curious. Best of luck with the Instagramming. I keep saying I have to get started with it. You may just have given me a much needed push!
    Adri recently posted..The White Widow – a Punch Abruzzo cocktailMy Profile

9. savitha
    March 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Paneer Lababdar looks so juicy and nice. Very appealing pictures.

10. March 16, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Hello, No wonder these images were so popular on Instagram – they are gorgeous – and make me want to cook this recipe – I think my kids will love it too….Checking you out on Instagram and looking forward to reading the rest of your lovely blog. x

11. March 17, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Beautiful! I haven’t experienced a lot of Indian food, but I definitely intend on it. This looks delicious.
    Shea @ Dixie Chik Cooks recently posted..Double Cheese Jalapeno Raspberry Stuffed Pretzel BombsMy Profile

12. March 23, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Great pictures and even better recipe. Oh hoW I love paneer and what you’ve done here is simply marvelous! I’m smacking my lips as I type.
    mjskitchen recently posted..Asparagus with Orange and KalamataMy Profile

13. March 30, 2015 at 7:31 AM

OMG!! am literally drooling!! lovely clicks!!
    Sundari recently posted..Papaya Banana SmoothieMy Profile