Dhaba style keema

minced mutton curry

The dusty roads of India might make you think twice about stopping at the road side eateries that punctuate the bustling landscape. These small road side eateries are known as ‘dhabba’. Don’t get fooled by their unsophisticated veneer. More often than not, the hot piping food that they serve is unmatched in taste and texture, and made from local produce that are procured locally.

minced mutton curry

The five star chefs with degrees from fancy culinary schools might spend copious amount of time trying to replicate a dish turned out at an obscure dhaba in a remote area of the country. Sometimes they are successful, at others, not so much.

Dhaba keema 4

A few years ago, a Hindi comedy film had a plot line where a prodigal son tries to find out the secret behind his father’s famous chicken recipe that made their ‘dhaba’ renowned throughout the country. No one knew the secret ingredient. In the end, he finally discovered it, though by accident. It was something no one could imagine…..cannabis!

Today’s dhaba recipe that I have has nothing so dramatic to offer. I have been looking for a spicy, tangy keema – minced goat/lamb meat – recipe for a while. I came across Aditya Bal’s recipe the other day and decided to give it a try. I did end up making some adjustments as I realized my taste buds call for stronger savory flavors.

I remembered to get the step by step pictures too!

1.Heat oil fry onion2.ginger and garlic5.all the spices3.butter4.green chili and bell pepper6.minced meat n milk7.tomato puree, lemon juice8.water9.cover and cook10.garnish with coriander and green chili

dhaba keema 6

• 5 cloves
Rest of the ingredients
  • 3 medium sized onions, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp garlic paste
  • 1 Tbsp ginger paste
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 2 green chilli, finely chopped (for cooking) + 1 green chilli, split (to garnish)
  • ½ red bell, chopped
  • 1½ tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • Salt, to taste
  • Hing (asafetida), a pinch
  • 3-4 Tbsp milk
  • 1 cup tomato puree (you can use store bough)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Juice of ½ lemon
  • Water
  • Coriander leaves, chopped
  1. In a pan add oil, bay leaf, green cardamom, cumin and cloves.
  2. As the aroma rises, add chopped onions. Saute till golden brown. Discard the bay leaf.
  3. Add garlic, ginger and butter, stirring frequently.
  4. Add the green chillies and red cubed bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes. De glaze the pan with some water.
  5. Now add the masalas: turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, asafetida and salt. Keep sauting.
  6. Add the goat/lamb mince. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add milk and mix well.
  7. Add the tomato puree, sugar and lemon juice. Cook for 10 minutes on medium flame. Stir and mix well to prevent the meat from sticking to the pan.
  8. Add 1 cup water. Cover and cook on low for 5 minutes, then saute on medium flame till the water evaporates and the mutton is well done.
  9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, split green chilli and a blob of butter (optional).
  10. Serve with hot roti and a side of dal.

Dhaba keema

12 comments for “Dhaba style keema

1. Louise
    August 14, 2015 at 4:35 AM

Wow! Finally, and something that I want to recreate with something that reminds me of a childhood dish. I remember eating keema made by a neighbor. He unfortunately passed away soon after they moved into our neighborhood. I must have been around 10 or 11 and this neighbor loved to cook and usually brought around tasters. His kids as well were our friends and we all played together. They were Iranian, and the keema was really good, I have been searching for a recipe that will do justice, but not yet. Will try your dish. Thank you for posting it.

• August 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Thank you Louise. I am so sorry to hear about your neighbor…must have been a really nice person to have left such sweet memories years later.
      Minnie recently posted..Dhaba style keemaMy Profile

2. August 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Hi Minnie

It’s strange that some great dishes involve mince and yet I’ve never had a keema! I think I’m going to try this and put a stop to this nonsense. Do you traditionally serve keema with rice or naan?
    David Crichton recently posted..Hostellerie De PlaisanceMy Profile

• August 14, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Keema goes better with naan, though I prefer it with whole wheat ‘rotis’ or even tandorri rotis. This goes beautifully as wraps too.
      Minnie recently posted..Dhaba style keemaMy Profile

3. August 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM

You had me at GROUND MEAT – andddddd I am going to make myself some delicious ness NOW!
    GiGi Eats recently posted..I Want Labels… Do You?My Profile

4. August 19, 2015 at 1:05 AM

I’ve heard the roadside eateries in India can be outstanding. I do love the look of this minced lamb dish. There’s certainly a lot of ingredients to give the meat plenty of flavour xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Chocolate Chip Coconut CookiesMy Profile

5. August 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

This is my kind of food! Tasty, and pretty straightforward to make. Love the flavors in this! Really good — thanks.
    John/Kitchen Riffs recently posted..The Americano CocktailMy Profile

6. August 19, 2015 at 11:15 PM

I had no idea what keema was, but now I know and see what I’ve been missing. What a spicy and flavorful bowl of deliciousness. All those flavors in one dish – YUM!
    mjskit recently posted..Green Chile Recipes – MJ’s FavoritesMy Profile

7. August 27, 2015 at 5:56 AM

With all those spices I bet this dish is amazing. I’ve been to India a few times on business but never with anyone who’d try the street food. We mainly ate fairly bland food in the hotel, until one day the factory owners wife cooked for us and brought lunch in tiffin tins. It was the most wonderful food, layered with flavour, utterly delicious.

8. September 14, 2015 at 7:17 PM

I’ve always wanted to cook goat. I’ve eaten but but never cooked with it. This should be my first dish. Thanks Minnie! 😀
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted..Five of Sydney’s Most Talked About Sandwiches!My Profile

9. September 16, 2015 at 7:25 AM

This recipe is so mine. It might take a time or two to get it right but I’m determined. I love the idea of wrapping it up. 🙂
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Red Berry and White Chocolate SconesMy Profile

10. October 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Love this dish Minnie! I remember having keema when I visited India a few years ago. It was delicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, can’t wait to try it out 🙂